RP1+ Sonos Port Cartridge upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Thank you for not shooting me down in flames! The counterweight isn't an issue as I understand it, just a matter of backing it off down the tonearm. Sure there are no markings for weight but it's rigid enough on the tonearm to sit where it's left if not pushed fully home to the 2g position. Plenty of people seem to have done this and it works.

I see my hi-fi obsession slowly creeping back in and can see several upgrades coming if only to listen to vinyl in the living room!
Do let us know how you get on!

I certainly shall do. It seems that the nominal tracking force for this cart is 2g anyway which is the RP1 default. Would you recommend starting at perhaps 1.8 and seeing how it goes?
The RP1 default is with the supplied cartridge. So you need to take account of the difference in weight between the two cartridges, and calculate accordingly. Better to use the scales you’ve ordered.

No harm starting at 1.8 as these aren’t usually ultra-accurate. You may even detect a slight change in the sound between 1.8 and 2.0.

Reactions: Al ears

Rhbmcse

Feb 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone.
Job done.
Setup wasn't too difficult at all.
It needed the mandated 2g tracking force. Even at 1.9 things just didn't seem quite right, lacking.
It needs to break in to widen out a bit, as things currently sound a little more compressed but not unpleasantly so, it makes the carbon cartridge sound quite unruly.
The sound quality improvement can't be ignored. There is more mid range which is what I wanted. The top end which always sounded a bit 'essy' to me (too harsh on letters 'S' and 'T') are better controlled but the detail still there.
Bass is tighter, more controlled. Warmer sounding overall, less harsh. Far more detailed, vocals contain so much more depth. As is always said, things coming through that previously would have gone unnoticed, this cart seems to dig more detail from the grooves.
Sounds WAY different than the carbon cartridge that came with the deck in a good way. Just needs to loosen up a bit. A worthwhile upgrade...highly recommend on the Rega P1/+

Also just noticed something that I had read about but yet to witness. Listening to an early 70s Abba album. IGD on this particular record was awful to the degree of ruining the final tracks. Never had I imagined that a stylus could deal with it but it is totally gone. I am amazed.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Never let it be said that a Stylus change will make no difference when listening through a meagre Sonos system. Night and day. I'm also noticing much more expression. Crescendos and Diminuendos seem to be jumping out where once they had largely gone unnoticed.

Now for the good bit. Put the tools away, dim the lights, several single malts and a night of unadulterated Vinyl pleasure.

Once again thanks to the community.

Rob.

Last edited:

Rhbmcse

Feb 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone.
Job done.
Setup wasn't too difficult at all.
It needed the mandated 2g tracking force. Even at 1.9 things just didn't seem quite right, lacking.
It needs to break in to widen out a bit, as things currently sound a little more compressed but not unpleasantly so, it makes the carbon cartridge sound quite unruly.
The sound quality improvement can't be ignored. There is more mid range which is what I wanted. The top end which always sounded a bit 'essy' to me (too harsh on letters 'S' and 'T') are better controlled but the detail still there.
Bass is tighter, more controlled. Warmer sounding overall, less harsh. Far more detailed, vocals contain so much more depth. As is always said, things coming through that previously would have gone unnoticed, this cart seems to dig more detail from the grooves.
Sounds WAY different than the carbon cartridge that came with the deck in a good way. Just needs to loosen up a bit. A worthwhile upgrade...highly recommend on the Rega P1/+

Also just noticed something that I had read about but yet to witness. Listening to an early 70s Abba album. IGD on this particular record was awful to the degree of ruining the final tracks. Never had I imagined that a stylus could deal with it but it is totally gone. I am amazed.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Never let it be said that a Stylus change will make no difference when listening through a meagre Sonos system. Night and day. I'm also noticing much more expression. Crescendos and Diminuendos seem to be jumping out where once they had largely gone unnoticed.

Now for the good bit. Put the tools away, dim the lights, several single malts and a night of unadulterated Vinyl pleasure.

Once again thanks to the community.

Rob.
Happy to say that now the ML has had, ahem, a few hours put through it.... It's sounding like a different cart again.

Regular sessions of Pink Floyd until 2 AM have made a world of difference.

Once again. AT-ML95 makes a VERY nice upgrade to the RP1 /+. Literally the only downside is that the cart is far more sensitive to dust with pops and cracks than the carbon but Guess that's the tradeoff.

Believe me, I have my cleaning regime down. RCM, velvet brush and swiffer floor cloths followed by a zap with the zerostat. I can barely see a speck of dust but the stylus finds them!

Reactions: Revolutions
Happy to say that now the ML has had, ahem, a few hours put through it.... It's sounding like a different cart again.

Regular sessions of Pink Floyd until 2 AM have made a world of difference.

Once again. AT-ML95 makes a VERY nice upgrade to the RP1 /+. Literally the only downside is that the cart is far more sensitive to dust with pops and cracks than the carbon but Guess that's the tradeoff.

Believe me, I have my cleaning regime down. RCM, velvet brush and swiffer floor cloths followed by a zap with the zerostat. I can barely see a speck of dust but the stylus finds them!
the ML cartridge is probably reacting more to the state of the LP than an elliptical one

Rhbmcse

Feb 17, 2024
Visit site
I found the ML really noisy with my old P2. Great sounding but definitely amplified any surface noise.
Im not finding it noisy, but like @Al ears said, possibly reacting to the state of the record more. Certainly far from unlistenable, the polar opposite. I love this cart, it brings the music to life and is So much better now it's broken in. I've always believed this to be true, trusting my own ears and it's certainly true in this instance no doubt in my mind.
I can't stop listening to the thing, it sounds amazing vs the Rega carbon. No comparison.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts