Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Given that your two reasons to buy were improved dvd upscaling, which is not as much of an improvement as you'd hoped, and build quality / pride of ownership, which again is not all you'd hoped for, it sounds to me like you may be disappointed at spending the money in the mid to long term. If it were me (and it's not) I would either dedicate myself to potentially spending the extra and get an Oppo 103 for demo or I would stick with what I had until that price was realistic.

Sorry if that isn't as positive as it should be :oops:

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
Given that your two reasons to buy were improved dvd upscaling, which is not as much of an improvement as you'd hoped, and build quality / pride of ownership, which again is not all you'd hoped for, it sounds to me like you may be disappointed at spending the money in the mid to long term. If it were me (and it's not) I would either dedicate myself to potentially spending the extra and get an Oppo 103 for demo or I would stick with what I had until that price was realistic.

If you do go the Oppo route phone David at Frank Harvey and try and get a deal, they have a sale on at present:

http://www.hifix.co.uk/blu-ray-players/oppo/bdp103eu.html

Or you could go the Pioneer 55 route like me, I will be having a big demo tomorrow with it and the TV!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The text says sale but the price is the same as everywhere else (last time I checked, which is some months ago). It also seems odd that the multi region version costs £575, whereas when I've looked at other places it's only a £100 premium. I also see you're invited to match it with a variety of £100+ hdmi cables :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I'm not really willing to spend any more than I already have. I'm also wary of Pioneer BDPs. Too many glitches...

The way I understand it is the glitches are with Internet and YouTube content not general playback.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:

Well, I'm not convinced any BDP will be built to quite the same bomb-proof specification as the 2500BT. It honestly felt like you could throw it from a first floor window and it would suffer minor dents at worst. (For the record, nobody should perform this test with any AV equipment.)

The 651 is very well built indeed; it's just not quite the indestructible brick my old Denon BDP was/presumably still is.

I'm also confident that DVD upscaling doesn't get any better. The Oppo uses the same Marvell processing as the CA, so I don't think I'd gain anything by spending more on the Oppo.

Besides, I have a more immediate concern. My VT65 has developed a subtle cyan tint across the left twenty percent of the screen. The tint isn't visible with the majority of content, but uniform colours show it up. This has nothing to do with the calibration. (Obviously calibration can't influence screen uniformity.) I've spoken to Jules about this and, without going into specifics (I'm not sure he'd want me too), I couldn't possibly ask for more from a calibrator.

However, I'm left with a dilemma. Do I live with the tint, on the basis that little content is affected? It may vanish over time. Do I ask JL for a replacement VT65? Do I abandon all faith in Panasonic plasmas and switch allegiance to Samsung? (The F8500 has its own quirks.)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

Well, I'm not convinced any BDP will be built to quite the same bomb-proof specification as the 2500BT. It honestly felt like you could throw it from a first floor window and it would suffer minor dents at worst. (For the record, nobody should perform this test with any AV equipment.)

The 651 is very well built indeed; it's just not quite the indestructible brick my old Denon BDP was/presumably still is.

I'm also confident that DVD upscaling doesn't get any better. The Oppo uses the same Marvell processing as the CA, so I don't think I'd gain anything by spending more on the Oppo.

Besides, I have a more immediate concern. My VT65 has developed a subtle cyan tint across the left twenty percent of the screen. The tint isn't visible with the majority of content, but uniform colours show it up. This has nothing to do with the calibration. (Obviously calibration can't influence screen uniformity.) I've spoken to Jules about this and, without going into specifics (I'm not sure he'd want me too), I couldn't possibly ask for more from a calibrator.

However, I'm left with a dilemma. Do I live with the tint, on the basis that little content is affected? It may vanish over time. Do I ask JL for a replacement VT65? Do I abandon all faith in Panasonic plasmas and switch allegiance to Samsung? (The F8500 has its own quirks.)

Flipping heck! I am sorry to hear that mate!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

I think I've abandoned all hope of ever owning a TV that works properly. In the strictest sense all TVs I've owned "worked." All produced a picture. None of them developed terminal faults. They just had issues that left me feeling disappointed and deflated. I wouldn't swap my VT65 for a GT50 with VBI.

Live with it and hope it gets better might be the only answer left. I can't face the prospect of switching out TVs again. If things get worse I'm covered by JL's warranty. It's probably a good idea to call and report the issue, though.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

I think I've abandoned all hope of ever owning a TV that works properly. In the strictest sense all TVs I've owned "worked." All produced a picture. None of them developed terminal faults. They just had issues that left me feeling disappointed and deflated. I wouldn't swap my VT65 for a GT50 with VBI.

Live with it and hope it gets better might be the only answer left. I can't face the prospect of switching out TVs again. If things get worse I'm covered by JL's warranty. It's probably a good idea to call and report the issue, though.

It sounds quite serious. Yep, reporting the issue sounds wise. What do you think caused it?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
It sounds quite serious.

To be honest mate, I don't know. It might be a slight kink that's ironed out over time.

I can't see anything problematic on most content. If I display slides or watch content with unform colours on screen (especially yellow for some reason), there's a subtle cyan tint over the far left of the screen.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Anyone else reported the same issue on other forums?

Not that I've seen, but I bought the TV the moment it was available in stores. I'd imagine my TV has clocked up more hours than most VT65s out there.

The tint is very slight and affects a relatively small portion of the screen. I'm wondering whether I'm blowing things out of proportion, but now I've seen the tint, I'm tending to spot it more frequently.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
This is bad news. I take it it shows up with sport?

I've only watched tennis recently. I can see a very slight blue tint to the grass on the left of the screen. I'm not sure I'd have noticed this had I not seen the tint on other content.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

Excuse my response there Gel. The post seems curt and sarcastic, which wasn't my intention.

You ask a fair question, though I think I'm past trying to work out the technicalities of different problems. At this point it's easier to blame the manufacturer, since all issues with tech come down to engineering and quality control.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Strapped mate. that is bad luck - I honestly dont know anyone as unlucky as you in this sort of regard - but you are proactive and will get it sorted.

If you get a new set maybe I will end up calibrating it after all .... I would chop the 50" and move up in size.

To me the 50" seems the most problematic, I would guess it the most mass manufacturted size with the tightest profit margin so maybe its production quality is slightly less stringent - one would hope not.

You have noticed a difference in 3D playback - would you say there is no difference in the 2D playback between your 2 players?

If there is a difference in 3D, that difference must be there in 2D also its essentially the same.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If there is a difference in 3D, that difference must be there in 2D also its essentially the same.

Not if the BDP forces processing when recognising 3D BDs. It's interesting that various options, including "source direct" playback, are available when playing 2D BDs, but not 3D discs.

I'm not saying the 651 definitely uses undefeatable processing with 3D BDs; but viewing 3D content I know well, it seems there are subtle differences between the 651 and Panasonic 120.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

Excuse my response there Gel. The post seems curt and sarcastic, which wasn't my intention.

You ask a fair question, though I think I'm past trying to work out the technicalities of different problems. At this point it's easier to blame the manufacturer, since all issues with tech come down to engineering and quality control.

That is cool.
smiley-smile.gif
Just had my demo of the Panasonic 55VT65 with a Pioneer BDP-LX55 and really liked them! The Panasonic went brighter and darker than last year and with more detail. It was really good!
smiley-smile.gif
The Blu-ray player had a cracking picture too, just the way I like it. No issues either, and the shop hadn't had any issues with them.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Alright Strapped

Thats a bummer especially after calibration, but mat be you should just hang on a while to see if the problem sorts it self out, if you look at how long you have had the set its no time at all, however as you have stated you have more hours on it than say the average viewer would have, so if you had less hours on it would it have taken longer for the problem to show itself...if you see what I mean.So with luck the problem might go after a while, but this may take some time, how long do you give it, is not an answer anybody can give, but I think give it a few weeks or a month or two, at least then you can say you have given it a fair time to sort it self out, BUT that is easier to say than to wait, either it will get worse or it will go, or stay the same, The thing is as you say you know its there and you looking for problems now, so your enjoyment has some what faded, if it is bugging you that much then send it back now, I would still stick with the same set though at this moment in time, but personally I would hang on.. 8)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Are you thinking of jumping in then, or are you waiting for the right deal?

Where did you demo?

I would like it a bit cheaper, and there is no urgent need. I demoed at Technosound here:

http://www.technosound.co.uk/Home.html

I nearly did buy the Pioneer 55 though, they had an ex-display for £199 but recommended I wait for them to get a new one at £249.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I thought a 50" screen was your limit. Can you squeeze the 55" VT in?

It is, they didn't have the 50inch on demo, so I had to demo that one, it was beside a 55VT50 so I got to see the difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts