Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I might call on Monday and ask about a home demo. Hopefully they'll agree as it's the last one they have in stock and last year's range. I'd imagine they'd be keen to sell rather than have old stock hanging around.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
What happened with Richer Sounds, did you do a deal?

Not yet. I'm still debating whether better upscaling and more robust build quality are worth another £300.

IME if you haven't decided 'no' yet it means you will inevitably decide 'yes' in due course. Better to accept that now and avoid disappointment.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
IME if you haven't decided 'no' yet it means you will inevitably decide 'yes' in due course. Better to accept that now and avoid disappointment.

I've often decided against something after lengthy deliberation. And I thought you were thrifty, Ben!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's easy to spend other people's money! I generally am thrifty but equally there have been occasions where I've cogitated for so long that when I've eventually attempted to pull the trigger the product has disappeared or the cost has increased prohibitively. Given your honesty about your inner av snob and your desire for better build quality and upscaling, it seems to me you will eventually say yes but that you risk missing out by delaying.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
BenLaw said:
it seems to me you will eventually say yes but that you risk missing out by delaying.

I'm sure similar deals will come every year. :)

What about Denon 1713UD?

Check this thread.

Cheers BB.

Denon uses Anchor Bay processing for SD upscaling. I've tested Anchor Bay processing against my Panny 120 and the differences were negligible. I want to compare the 120's upscaling with Mavell QDEO processing (i.e. Cambridge or Oppo).

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Alright Strapped

I had an email yesterday from Ed he has a 651 coming back from a dealer up north some where, the customer changed his mind, all brand new boxed, I did not hesitate so Im a happy owner, he also stated that there may be another one but is awaiting confirmation, however the ex-dem models that are still available are as new, and not to worry about condition or garantee, as you will get all the cover/service as if it were brand new, personally I would make sure it is a Ex-display model as opposed to a customer return, and as it states on richers website condition may vary, so it is up to you to make sure you are happy with your purchase, for the money though it is a no brainer. Get in there quick. 8)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pioneer7,

In my view, the CA represents great value right now; but do any advantages the CA offers merit spending £300?

Obviously that depends on individual requirements. As I say, analogue performance is of no consequence to me, so it's about build quality (or AV snobbery) and upscaling (the Marvell processor offers more tangible benefits).

I'm weighing up the pros and cons...

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Well I think you can oonly be the judge of that, and if you can get it for a home dem that should give you your answer, build quality is top draw, Its just a case of IMO do you spend a bit more to satisfy your A.. [AV-Sobery] or B.. to try and get better upscaling, which I think would not be night and day, the OPPO seems the likely candidate but at £200 more. Bearing in mind what the 651 used to cost, and price now, I dont think it can touched AT the price it is now, It sounds like you know you want it, BUT you are trying to talk/convince yourself out of it, I was set on the Pioneer-450, BUT my decision to buy the 651 was the musical side of things, stereo/SACD, and build quality, and price, so to me there was enough to justify spending more, because the 651 is better than the pioneer, But in your case I dont think you will get that much more from say the OPPO against the Cambridge Audio. Hopefully that makes sense to you. I would say if you can get a home dem, Enjoy it do not look for faults to justify sending back, Only you know your films and music AND its in your system, you can not get a better test than that, Me personally I have in-walls and no Amp yet so I could be taking a big gamble, but its one I am happy to take. 8)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To my knowledge, all Oppo and Cambridge Audio BDPs (including and after last year's models) use the same Marvell processor, so upscaling should be identical. In other words, the more expensive Oppo and CA BDPs don't offer any advantages over the 651 if connected using HDMI.

It's really a question of how the Marvell processing compares with my budget Panasonic BDP's efforts (and whether this is worth £300).

If the difference is negligible, that £300 could be better spent elsewhere (like paying off a bit more of the mortgage). Unfortunately my financial resources are far from infinite, so a reality check is needed whenever my AV spending compulsion takes over. If the benefits are worthwhile, I'll often give in to this impulse. In this instance, I'm trying to determine whether buying the 651 will give me three-hundred pounds' worth of improvement.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Strapped stop peeing around and get a Marantz UD7007 on home demo - then it will be decison made!

Only if you're paying!
smiley-smile.gif

To be honest, I'm most interested in the Marvell processor for DVD upscaling. I think the 7007 uses the same Anchor Bay processor as Denon BDPs. I've compared Anchor Bay processing with my Panasonic 120 upscaling to 1080p (through A/B testing) and the differences were negligible. The 651 represents the cheapest way I can buy a BDP with Marvell processing onboard.

I still have quite a few DVDs that'll likely never see a BD release, so it'd be good to get the best from them.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
ellisdj said:
Strapped stop peeing around and get a Marantz UD7007 on home demo - then it will be decison made!

Only if you're paying!
smiley-smile.gif

To be honest, I'm most interested in the Marvell processor for DVD upscaling. I think the 7007 uses the same Anchor Bay processor as Denon BDPs. I've compared Anchor Bay processing with my Panasonic 120 upscaling to 1080p (through A/B testing) and the differences were negligible. The 651 represents the cheapest way I can buy a BDP with Marvell processing onboard.

I still have quite a few DVDs that'll likely never see a BD release, so it'd be good to get the best from them.

Strapped I keep readng you wiritng that about the upscaling quality and I appreciate your making a buying decision off that .

I have not led you astray so far mate have I - I promise you the 7007 is worth getting in on home demo at least. Its worth the extra money for its blu ray performance and I havent tried a DVD but I bet that would be fantastic as well.

If it were a cheaper product I would just egg you to buy it - its not its expensive but now you have the screen calibrated I know the results you are going to get in and 2 and 3D. Its worth putting it on plastic to get a home demo, you get 30 days before you have to pay and you wil have been refunded by then - try it before you buy another player mate - its worth saving up a bit longer for. Its very good for music reply as well - I have only briefly tested it briefly feeding digital into my processor and it was a baby CD for my little boy - but it sounded really good what I could stand to listen to.

The 5007 can be had for £300 but I would guess that wont be as good.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't doubt that the Marantz is an exceptional BDP.

However, I don't do credit cards (that's a life-long policy) and I'm not that well off. If money was no object, I'd buy the very best AV equipment available; but I have to keep other bills in mind, not least an interest only mortgage. (I've got to pay off the capital somehow.)

Unfortunately the things we'd like are often the things we can't afford. Besides, I've spent silly money on AV kit in recent months. (At least by my standards.) I simply can't hammer my bank account that hard again for a long time.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Credit Cards are great at times - use them to manage your money - i.e take advantage of interest free periods - just dont get caught paying their outragous interest charges

I understand its an expensive product -- its twice the money of the CA your considering - however my point was demo one before you buy something else mate, however demoing one on a non cald' screen wont really cut I dont think.

You dont desperately need a new BD - lets face it a DVD is only going to be so good anyway, I would wait until you have seen one going.

If you fancy a trip to Essex I will show you - I am waiting on some new cables and need to recal but in a couple of weeks my system will be good to go if you want to have a look

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think, sadly, I have to accept that there are limits to what I can spend. I'm not even that keen on parting with £300 for a BDP, but I'm interested to see how Marvell processing compares with what I've got. If the CA plan doesn't work out, perhaps I can pick up a Marantz at outgoing prices this time next year.

If I find myself near Essex in the near future, I'll certainly let you know. I'd be interested to see a calibrated 65" VT65, especially with 3D. Are you still thinking of upgrading your meter, with a 3D calibration in mind?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am mate - its purely money, a lot has gone out and a lot is still going out at the mo.

I am tempted to try the C3 but I have not had a chance. I have no cables at the minute so am watching rhe VT through the internal speakers, something I have not done for years. Its not bad actually but its put me off being in front of it for any chinks of time - so I have got into my other hobby which is carp fishing - bloody expensive hobby as well.

I am selling a few items at the minute to try and raise some soem cash for maybe the I1 - I will be looking to sell the C3 if I do.

Anyone considering getting into DIY calibration should buy the C3 off me - its a Great Metre for the money!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'd still be tempted to try calibration using the C3. I know it's technically a contact meter only, but if you attach the glasses and get the meter close enough to the screen, you might achieve worthwhile results.

What's the worst that can happen?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The hardest thing is getting it to stay still if its not in contact with the screen. Normally I use a tripod to press against the back of it to make sure it stays in contact - my centre speaker is perfect or the tripod to stand on

Maybe I could gently rest it on the screen with the glasses taped to it somehow - but I obviously dont want to damage the glasses or screen

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Any 3D calibration requires a makeshift solution. I wouldn't put the glasses in contact with the screen. I'd be scared of scratching it. If you can get the glasses to sit over the meter lens, and the glasses a few inches from the screen using a tripod or some other arrangement, that should be OK. (Assuming you'll be calibrating in the dark.)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BB.

Believe it or not, I read that very same article (translated) before deciding Marvell QDEO is the way to go. Several reviews stating that Marvell processors deliver reference upscaling performance sealed it.

I called RS this morning to arrange a home demo or purchase. They rang back, but I missed the call and got caught up watching Darcis beat Nadal.

Tomorrow, then...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
We'll see!

I've got a fortnight to test it, during which I can get a full refund (no restocking charge), no questions asked. I'm unlikely to return it, but you never know.

I'm keen to see what Marvell QDEO processing does for SD content and other lower resolution sources. I'll report back after A/B testing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts