Amplifier for Monitor Audios GS10

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I hope you can give me some advice. I am looking for an amplifier for my Monitor Audios GS 10. My source is a Rega Apollo R, I listen specially to classical music such as Opera, chamber music, baroque and piano. My current budget is between 500 and 1000. I gave it a thought to the likes of a Marantz pm 6005 and pm 8005, but this last one has been receiving some criticism both from costumers and press that might be somewhat on the bright side, causing it to sound harsh or agressive with female vocals. I also seek something rithmycally and transparent like Naim is reputed to sound. I don't think that with a sensibility of 88dbs and 100watts power handling it requires massive muscle, since I can push it loud with my old mission cyrus one, but something capable of delivering a high output on current would suit it best. An amplifier between 50 and 70 watts I believe it cand do the trick. I have already tested it with a 100 watts double toroidal configuration amplifier and it failed to fully engage the speakers. So I don't think, and you could help me learn otherwise, that too much muscle is the only requirement.

So i am seeking advise from eventual owners of these speakers or other skilled opinions.

Glad to meet you. Many thanks for your time.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not seen any such criticism and frankly I think it's nonsense. I listen to much the same music as you and the PM8005 is wonderful with vocals, indeed it was by a distance the best of those I auditioned especially with vocals.

Chris

Thank you for your reply. I am curious to how the pm 8005 usually behaves with something like Puccini's Turandot or a Bruckner or Mahler symphony going down to harpsichord. These are very demanding shifts for an amplifier that needs to respond quite thoroughly in order to present the full quality of the performance. You alreay gave part of the answer, but I would like to hear something about specific works of music so that I can imagine more closely the kind of performance instead of speaking strictly in audio terms. I think it helps. Like, for example, the transients in the fortepiano or period instruments.

Glad to have your attention.

Hugo.

Yes, I believe it is a good amp and might be a an interesting match but I am looking for an amplifier with a different brand from my cd player which is already a Rega Apollo R, although it might be adequate in terms of sinergy I have something of a weak spot for trying to match different brands.

Thank you anyway.

I will certainly give it a thought to the Musical Fidelity since it seems to have the kind of rythmic and transparent sound i'm looking for. Nevertheless, I would like to know more about how it behaves under strains of orchestral peaks or coloratura sopranos. If you could give me some info on this I would would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MF give their amps robust power supplies, which make them stable into "hard to drive" speakers.

In the case of the M3si, it is a virtual dual mono design.

Here is a review: http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/musical-fidelity-m3si-integrated-amplifier-dac

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
moscardo7000 . said:
Thank you for your reply. I am curious to how the pm 8005 usually behaves with something like Puccini's Turandot or a Bruckner or Mahler symphony going down to harpsichord. These are very demanding shifts for an amplifier that needs to respond quite thoroughly in order to present the full quality of the performance. You alreay gave part of the answer, but I would like to hear something about specific works of music so that I can imagine more closely the kind of performance instead of speaking strictly in audio terms. I think it helps. Like, for example, the transients in the fortepiano or period instruments.

Glad to have your attention.

Hugo.

Ok I will try. A caveat - I've not heard the amp with your speakers and my speakers are very different from yours. Anyway here goes:

- I'm not a great fan of harpsichord but maybe lute is close being another plucked string instrument. The Naxos complete Dowland are a severe test of any hifi. They are really well played and recorded and they expose any hifi as you often just have the pure notes floating in the air. I get great stability and purity and it is almost viscerally "present".

- Turandot is not my favourite opera but the Netrebko/Villazon/Hampson Traviata is. The soundstage is brilliant and really 3-dimensional and all the voices come through clearly and naturally.

- For bel canto opera one of my favourites is Bellini's I Capuleti e i Montecchi with Netrebko/Garancha and I used this as a test recording when I selected the amp. This is simply wonderful on my kit. Again the soundstage in brilliant and the voices are delivered accurately and clearly.

- Turning to Mahler I have the Fisher / Budapest FO 9th. I'm not a great Mahler expert but this is a version that speaks to me. The recording is wonderful with great dynamic range and if you close your eyes you can envisage the orchestra. The amp handles the peaks and troughs easily.

I hope this gives you some extra insight.

Chris

moscardo7000 . said:
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I hope you can give me some advice. I am looking for an amplifier for my Monitor Audios GS 10. My source is a Rega Apollo R, I listen specially to classical music such as Opera, chamber music, baroque and piano. My current budget is between 500 and 1000. I gave it a thought to the likes of a Marantz pm 6005 and pm 8005, but this last one has been receiving some criticism both from costumers and press that might be somewhat on the bright side, causing it to sound harsh or agressive with female vocals. I also seek something rithmycally and transparent like Naim is reputed to sound. I don't think that with a sensibility of 88dbs and 100watts power handling it requires massive muscle, since I can push it loud with my old mission cyrus one, but something capable of delivering a high output on current would suit it best. An amplifier between 50 and 70 watts I believe it cand do the trick. I have already tested it with a 100 watts double toroidal configuration amplifier and it failed to fully engage the speakers. So I don't think, and you could help me learn otherwise, that too much muscle is the only requirement.

So i am seeking advise from eventual owners of these speakers or other skilled opinions.

Glad to meet you. Many thanks for your time.

First, I've not read any criticism regarding any Marantz amps....

I've personally heard the GS10 with Roksan Caspian M1 amp. Sounded very good indeed.

If brand new is a must I'd certainly consider Arcam, Creek, Leema Elements, cheaper kandy K2, mid-range Yamahas....

Excellent feedback. The lute suggestion seems certainly very efficient to test the small details in a speaker set and those highly sought microinformations on an amp. I personally have the same works of Dowland by Paul O'Dette so that helps in terms of having references for better picturing the kind of soundstage i'm looking for. I mentioned Turandot because of it's highly demanding treble peaks, I have both the Mehta/Sutherland and Leinsdorf/Nilsson sets and they really put a strain to the high frequencies, so if the amp can take that kind of charge the rest will most probably go for itself. I don't know if you are a fan too but I could have also mentioned the obvious Wagner in that same field of strenuous input for a combo and i'm curious, if you are also fond of, to what interpretations you usually hear, i have a soft spot for Parsifal. The Traviata also has great demanding arias for the soprano and I confess I haven't heard that particular Netrebko version, i'm usually somewhat old school in choosing interpretations since the golden age of singers seems to have slightly dimmed, although I don't consider myself to be strictly conservative because I also listen to more contemporary ones. As for the Mahler I really like the new insights Fischer has brought to a very overblown field of interpretations, sometimes it is almost chamber like sonorities, if the Marantz copes well with all this it most definitively seems to have the kind of qualities I'm looking for.

I forgot to mention that I believe I need the tone controls option since I also listen to a wide array of recordings from 78 rpm transfers to cd, to mono and more poor stereo that I would like to make more pleasable to the ears, so the Marantz also has that tritone possibility, including the midrange button which I think, correct me if i'm wrong please, it might be useful in recordings where the frequencies spectrum is too compressed or laidback.

Once again thanks very much on your reply.

moscardo7000 . said:
Excellent feedback. The lute suggestion seems certainly very efficient to test the small details in a speaker set and those highly sought microinformations on an amp. I personally have the same works of Dowland by Paul O'Dette so that helps in terms of having references for better picturing the kind of soundstage i'm looking for. I mentioned Turandot because of it's highly demanding treble peaks, I have both the Mehta/Sutherland and Leinsdorf/Nilsson sets and they really put a strain to the high frequencies, so if the amp can take that kind of charge the rest will most probably go for itself. I don't know if you are a fan too but I could have also mentioned the obvious Wagner in that same field of strenuous input for a combo and i'm curious, if you are also fond of, to what interpretations you usually hear, i have a soft spot for Parsifal. The Traviata also has great demanding arias for the soprano and I confess I haven't heard that particular Netrebko version, i'm usually somewhat old school in choosing interpretations since the golden age of singers seems to have slightly dimmed, although I don't consider myself to be strictly conservative because I also listen to more contemporary ones. As for the Mahler I really like the new insights Fischer has brought to a very overblown field of interpretations, sometimes it is almost chamber like sonorities, if the Marantz copes well with all this it most definitively seems to have the kind of qualities I'm looking for.

I forgot to mention that I believe I need the tone controls option since I also listen to a wide array of recordings from 78 rpm transfers to cd, to mono and more poor stereo that I would like to make more pleasable to the ears, so the Marantz also has that tritone possibility, including the midrange button which I think, correct me if i'm wrong please, it might be useful in recordings where the frequencies spectrum is too compressed or laidback.

My listening tastes aren't that sophisticated: Soul, Funk and middle of the road stuff is about my limit. However, no manufactuer produces a product for a specific genre. As good all-rounders look at my previous post. If you're looking for tone controls then Nad or Marantz should fit the bill nicely. There are others, such as Rotel but they won't match the MAs too well.

IMO a dem of at least one of those amps is essential to see whether it ticks any or all your required boxes.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not going to comment on the sonic virtues or otherwise of the amps under discussion but I think it is worth pointing out the power issue.

With the usual caveat of not having heard your setup, the issues you mention regarding high frequency 'harshness' could well be a sign of the amplifier running out of power as what you describe sounds pretty much like clipping to me.

By and large you can ignore the manufacturers power ratings, what really matters with demanding material is the way the amplifier handles musical peaks and how well it copes with the shifting load of your speakers.

Amplifiers that can do this are relatively rare in the sub £1000 class, but I would listen to Chris (Covenanter) on this, he has the PM8005 and plays similarly demanding material. The presence of tone controls seem to be important to you too, you are unlikely to find them on anything else in this class.

If possible, arrange to take one home for the weekend, promise the dealer a sale if it works in your setup but that you can return it if it does not.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you really think you need tone controls that will limit your options severely and would make jap amps from Marantz, Onkyo and the like the obvious choice.

If it was me I'd go cyrus.

davedotco said:
I am not going to comment on the sonic virtues or otherwise of the amps under discussion but I think it is worth pointing out the power issue.

With the usual caveat of not having heard your setup, the issues you mention regarding high frequency 'harshness' could well be a sign of the amplifier running out of power as what you describe sounds pretty much like clipping to me.

By and large you can ignore the manufacturers power ratings, what really matters with demanding material is the way the amplifier handles musical peaks and how well it copes with the shifting load of your speakers.

Amplifiers that can do this are relatively rare in the sub £1000 class, but I would listen to Chris (Covenanter) on this, he has the PM8005 and plays similarly demanding material. The presence of tone controls seem to be important to you too, you are unlikely to find them on anything else in this class.

If possible, arrange to take one home for the weekend, promise the dealer a sale if it works in your setup but that you can return it if it does not.

This is the reason I mentioned mid-range Yamaha, Nad, Roksan Kandy & Caspian... all of these pack enough welly to control the GS10s. Mind you these older MAs aren't power hungry.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is the reason I mentioned mid-range Yamaha, Nad, Roksan Kandy & Caspian... all of these pack enough welly to control the GS10s. Mind you these older MAs aren't power hungry.

I took my cue from the OPs comment about high frequency harshness mentioned by the OP bit it might not be a power issue.

It could be a lack of control from the amplifier allowing the bass cone to 'sound off', not exactly unheard of with hard coned bass drivers.

I still think the PM8005 is the place to start, I would put a lot of weight on Chris's opinipn in this case.

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:

I took my cue from the OPs comment about high frequency harshness mentioned by the OP bit it might not be a power issue.

It could be a lack of control from the amplifier allowing the bass cone to 'sound off', not exactly unheard of with hard coned bass drivers.

I still think the PM8005 is the place to start, I would put a lot of weight on Chris's opinipn in this case.

Agree that Chris's Marantz is good with vocals, most Marantzes are. But it is 70 watts per channel, the same as the Caspian, some Nads... less than Yamaha AS-2000, which 120 watts and is, like the Marantz, good with vocal work. But as I mentioned a dem is advised.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
moscardo7000 . said:

Nothing will substitute for an extensive audition as synergy between amp and speakers will be key. I know that the O'Dette lute set is highly thought of but treat yourself to the Naxos as at less than £12 for 4 CDs it is one of the greatest bargains in the catalogue. I'm afraid I'm not a Wagnerian so can't comment on that. I don't really use the tone controls as most of my music is selected on the basis of recording quality as well as performance. I am very intolerant of poor recordings as I find it hard to listen to the performance if I hear imperfections in the way it is presented. Certainly there aren't many amps with three tone controls in this price range.

I wish you a great audition!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts