Amplifier for KEF R3 Meta?

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I am going to buy KEF R3 Meta with an amplifier and one of the SVS sb3000 subwoofer.

I am not sure what amplifier I should get.

Some details:
- I listen mostly to hip hop music (think of Drake, j cole), some R&B and pop.
- My room is about 5x3.3 meters. That might change in a bit to a bigger room
- I listen to music at around 70-75 db I think. Not too loud as I live in apartment.

I won’t be able to audition the amplifier but I did listen to the speakers and was very impressed.

I am currently eyeing on Cambridge Audio cxa81 but not sure because some YouTuber (Andrew Robinson) said the bass control is not the best for the class.
Also, my other options are Roksan Atessa & Arcam SA20.
Open to other suggestions as well.

Since I live in a place where European products are cheaper, I strongly prefer European amps. The options above are ones I can get from the same store so it will be cheap and thus preferred for me.
Thanks

Hello,

I am going to buy KEF R3 Meta with an amplifier and one of the SVS sb3000 subwoofer.

Some details:
- I listen to music at around 70-75 db I think. Not too loud as I live in apartment.

I won’t be able to audition the amplifier but I did listen to the speakers and was very impressed.

I am currently eyeing on Cambridge Audio cxa81 but not sure because some YouTuber (Andrew Robinson) said the bass control is not the best for the class.

Since I live in a place where European products are cheaper, I strongly prefer European amps. The options above are ones I can get from the same store so it will be cheap and thus preferred for me.
Thanks
It's best to demo these amps and choose the sound that best suits your requirements.

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
What did you audition with the speakers? If you were impressed it would stand that it was a good match no?
I think it was Vincent SV-737. Which is very pricy.
But I didn’t hear it with any other amp to be honest. I did hear ls50 meta with bluenode it felt thin and lean to me.

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
R3 like current /control 100/150wpc
Musical Fidelity M5si / M6si , Rotel RA-1592MKII , Exposure 3510 , Marantz Model 40n
Kef make matching subs KC62 would you or your neighbours need Subs in a apartment !
The size of subwoofer is not a concern, should I still get compact sub?
Also, do you mean a subwoofer won’t be a good fit because of noise leakage?

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Would personally wait to buy subwoofer, until you get the measure of the speakers and room.

KC62 has an apartment setting, but I personally wouldn’t rely on that! I have a KC62 - not sure I would want an apartment next to anyone with a sub, unless I was sure about insulation! 😀

As to an amp, I’m sure one of the Hegel’s would be worth a look!

matthewpianist

You really should take the time to audition the amp.

I'd strongly recommend something with strong current delivery, and Musical Fidelity would be a very good choice, however the Vincent is a valve/solid state hybrid and will have a fairly unique sound. The KEFs will sound quite different with a cleaner amplifier behind them. A friend had a Vincent and loved the sound but had several issues with reliability.

It could be worth auditioning the Sugden A21 Signature if you need to keep the cost lower than the Vincent, but Naim would pair very well with the KEFs also, even the Nait 5si.

My earlier question about the output from your PC remains crucial...

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site

I'd strongly recommend something with strong current delivery, and Musical Fidelity would be a very good choice, however the Vincent is a valve/solid state hybrid and will have a fairly unique sound. The KEFs will sound quite different with a cleaner amplifier behind them. A friend had a Vincent and loved the sound but had several issues with reliability.

It could be worth auditioning the Sugden A21 Signature if you need to keep the cost lower than the Vincent, but Naim would pair very well with the KEFs also, even the Nait 5si.

Output from pc is not important

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Apologies, for some reason I thought you were using your PC as source (mixed up from another thread!)

In that case what is your source? These are serious amplifiers and speakers and will expose any upstream deficiencies.
No worries :)

My source is a smart tv (Samsung qled q90t from 2020). It has streaming apps and I can also use airplay 2.
My idea was to start from there then I can upgrade by adding dedicated streamer if I want later down the road.

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site

I see the Nait 5si is also available in the store I am eyeing on. And this is great since I will be able to negotiate a better deal since I am buying both speakers and amp. So it’s definitely a contender.
I see it’s rated 60w vs 80w in 8 ohms of CXA81 and it doesn’t have a DAC but that’s solvable.

Why should I pick the nait? How is it different from the CXA81 in your eyes?

Hello,

Some details:

Thanks
Where are you located?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I see the Nait 5si is also available in the store I am eyeing on. And this is great since I will be able to negotiate a better deal since I am buying both speakers and amp. So it’s definitely a contender.
I see it’s rated 60w vs 80w in 8 ohms of CXA81 and it doesn’t have a DAC but that’s solvable.

Why should I pick the nait? How is it different from the CXA81 in your eyes?
The naim is designed to do one thing and that's amplify sound in the cleanest (sonically) environment it can. Everything that's added to a one-box solution from then on starts to become a compromise on sound over features. That's the theory.

The naim will have much stronger delivery that belies its on-paper specs. This is why auditioning is important, on paper spec will only tell you so much and those tend to be lets say "massaged" to look better most of the time. You're spending a lot of money you need to get it right and you only want to do it once if you can.

Another good amp to add to the list is a technics SU-G700m2 and is criminally overlooked by many.

Reactions: Nick607

Nick607

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
The naim is designed to do one thing and that's amplify sound in the cleanest (sonically) environment it can. Everything that's added to a one-box solution from then on starts to become a compromise on sound over features. That's the theory.

The naim will have much stronger delivery that belies its on-paper specs. This is why auditioning is important, on paper spec will only tell you so much and those tend to be lets say "massaged" to look better most of the time. You're spending a lot of money you need to get it right and you only want to do it once if you can.

Another good amp to add to the list is a technics SU-G700m2 and is criminally overlooked by many.
You need an amplifier with digital inputs then, or an outboard DAC. Given this (unless you already have a very good DAC) I'd suggest looking at something like the NAD M33 - great build and current delivery, and captivating sound. Do everything you can to audition though.
Both are well above my budget :(
I was thinking about spending ~1000 british pounds on amp

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Both are well above my budget :(
I was thinking about spending ~1000 british pounds on amp
drop the budget on r3's and leave the subwoofer your whole building will hear that epically if you're at the top. Your never going to hear them at their best to be brutally honest the R3's that is

Perhaps have a look at the Wharfdale lintons £1200 with the stands (no subwoofer required) and a bluesound power node £800
it should come in at the same price as the R3 metas on there own. Will be a lovely system and arguably you want be missing anything

Or if you must have kef look at the ls50 wireless. Both well under budget...

EDIT Both suggestions have all the modern connectivity you'll ever need.

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
drop the budget on r3's and leave the subwoofer your whole building will hear that epically if you're at the top. Your never going to hear them at their best to be brutally honest the R3's that is

Perhaps have a look at the Wharfdale lintons £1200 with the stands (no subwoofer required) and a bluesound power node £800
it should come in at the same price as the R3 metas on there own. Will be a lovely system and arguably you want be missing anything

Or if you must have kef look at the ls50 wireless. Both well under budget...

EDIT Both suggestions have all the modern connectivity you'll ever need.
I would agree with KEF LS50 meta wireless, in particular if you are using a TV as it has an HDMI input but with any smart phone you can also use KEF app with a streaming service.

I have just sold my LS50 2 wiresless as Im moving more toward an AV set up and have got a Denon 6700 and MA Gold 100's, ive already got a silver sub so im geting pretty good sound in stereo.

I wouldnt recommend using a TV as source for music if you are spending £1000's on other equipment. The sound from the KEF's via the bult in streamer and amazon Hd against something like airplay or using my TV was night and day.

I did use my silver sub from time to time with the KEFs and for me it did create a fuller sound, I did consider a KC62 sub but ultimaley because I already had ceiling speakers and wiring in my room from when I bought the house I deciced to move to the more AV set up. I may have stuck with the KEFs if I had have bought the passive version originally so again if you did go down the active route it is a consideration that if anything goes wrong or you want to upgrade you are limited but I couldnt fault them for sound. my room is 4.5x4m so similar sqm.

for me personally what I have heard and tested and messed around wit the biggest gains in sound quality have always been the best source and the best conversion of this into the speaker. so for eg using the same track on amazon HD but sending via airplay to the LS50 wireless 2's is really nothing like using the streamer on the same speaker. it really pays to also check all the settings with streaming to mke sure you are getting the best quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts