Question Marantz PM 6006 amplifier - Right Channel

TeleJaunt

Jul 7, 2023
Visit site
Hey whizz kids and detectives,

I have read every other post relating to this slightly to common issue but none resemble the one I am experiencing.

As the title states:

Marantz PM 6006 amplifier right channel issues.​

I'll expand:

Sometimes, the right channel on the amplifier drops out, the sound can only be heard from the right speaker if you put your ear right up to it, even then it's a distant sound.
Left channel on Speakers A and B is fine.

This happens when playing from Turntable, Aux source(phone), CD Player etc
All RCA ports tried.
Happens wether Source direct(SD) is being used or not.
Speakers A and B same, no right channel.
When selecting speakers A, B or SD audible relay click is heard so circuits are changing.
Phones port not tried (I'll do that next time it happens)
If the cables that connect the right speaker are touched to the left inputs the sound comes out perfectly.
Loudness button no effect, Balance no effect when source direct off.
Speaker cables switched around, no effect.
Turntable is earthed.
Speakers are: Q Acoustic Concept 20

What brings the right channel back?

Two things:
Sometimes dropping the right side of the unit, which implies something loose I suppose (But what?) - I'm efficient at soldering so could fix if I knew where to look.
Cranking the volume knob to almost maximum kicks the right speaker back in, at the risk of blowing it though obviously :grimacing:

Maximum mega thanks to anyone willing to help me ascertain the cause of this issue, I'll reciprocate by spending some of my time to help you out in some way.

Much love

Liam

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Hey whizz kids and detectives,

I have read every other post relating to this slightly to common issue but none resemble the one I am experiencing.

As the title states:

Marantz PM 6006 amplifier right channel issues.​

I'll expand:

Sometimes, the right channel on the amplifier drops out, the sound can only be heard from the right speaker if you put your ear right up to it, even then it's a distant sound.
Left channel on Speakers A and B is fine.

This happens when playing from Turntable, Aux source(phone), CD Player etc
All RCA ports tried.
Happens wether Source direct(SD) is being used or not.
Speakers A and B same, no right channel.
When selecting speakers A, B or SD audible relay click is heard so circuits are changing.
Phones port not tried (I'll do that next time it happens)
If the cables that connect the right speaker are touched to the left inputs the sound comes out perfectly.
Loudness button no effect, Balance no effect when source direct off.
Speaker cables switched around, no effect.
Turntable is earthed.
Speakers are: Q Acoustic Concept 20

What brings the right channel back?

Two things:
Sometimes dropping the right side of the unit, which implies something loose I suppose (But what?) - I'm efficient at soldering so could fix if I knew where to look.
Cranking the volume knob to almost maximum kicks the right speaker back in, at the risk of blowing it though obviously :grimacing:

Maximum mega thanks to anyone willing to help me ascertain the cause of this issue, I'll reciprocate by spending some of my time to help you out in some way.

Much love

Liam
I used to gave the same problem on an old Nikko power amplifier.

You appear to have a dry or HR (high resistance) joint.

As has been suggested. Get and take it to a hifi repair shop to have a look at it, as you may do more damage if you pop in there yourself.

Gray

I'm fairly optimistic for you solving this yourself Liam - because you've already done a comprehensive and logical elimination process.
(It often takes 10+ posts to narrow things down when others come on here with similar issues - because they haven't thought so logically).

You say those relays are clicking, which means that 'circuits are changing'. Well they should be. But I suspect the right channel contacts in one of them are contacting only when bashed or when you blast them into action with a bit of volume.

A service manual would help you, but you may be able to follow PCB tracks to get you there.
As the symptom is on both A and B speaker outputs then their individual relays are unlikely to be the cause - you need to be investigating something common and prior to them....like maybe a muting relay.

If you suspect a relay....identify it's contacts first as you don't want to short across its energising coil contacts - but a shorting link across its switch contacts will (temporarily) correct things - If that's where the problem is.
You'd then need to get a new relay.

The above is based on you being handy with a soldering iron (and fault finding) otherwise, like others, I might suggest leaving the repair to someone else.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

TRENDING THREADS