Marantz amp help

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone
New to the forum so please be gentle. I have acquired a marantz pm8000 amplifier. And a pair of mission m72i book shelf speakers. I have tried researching the amp online but seems to be little or no info/reviews about the amp . My questions are....
Is the pm8000 any good?

What would be a good cd player to use with the unit?

Am pretty happy with the sound atm but what would be the best speaker upgrade for the future? To get the most out of the amp.

Thanks for your time

Regards stu

D

Deleted member 201267

I have no knowledge regarding this amplifier but this would be a good start regarding a matching CD player :-

Reactions: stu888

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
It's an old amp and plenty of information online. If you have it then surely you can determine if it's any good?
All I can find is 3 spec sheets quoting 3 different values..95,100,105 Watts per channel. And 3 reviews that ain't very informative consisting of it's basic amp...to I think its great was. after something a little more detailed. Such as a what hifi review. Am guessing it's simular to the pm7000. For the 130 quid I paid for the set up am quite happy with it as a starter point.
Thanks for the response
Regards stu

PREthe2nd

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
I am not an expert but I think your amp (PM8000) is a slightly newer but similar to my PM7200, it has ability to change from Class AB to Class A which is unusual (and good in my opinion). I think there is bit more information online regardsing the 7200 than the 8000 - the 8000 may have been a minor upgrade.

PREthe2nd

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
I have Bowers & Wilkins, 601S3 speakers, Marantz CD5400. I also have a stand alone DAC (Dac Magic 100) to allow me to play music from my PC and Project Debut Pro turntable. The turnatble is a recent replacement for an old one that stopped working. When i bought the amp it was on of few that came with a phono stage as standard at the price at the time.
I find this works well. After replacing the turntable I was wondering if i should repalce with something newer but did not seem to be an obvious replacement and it still works fine

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Pm 8000 is a spec bump as mentioned above the pm 7200 was a very well reviewed amp. The review I remember used mission speakers specifically the 780s.

One word of warning. If you put it in to class a mode make sure you have gubbins of room around it, it will get very hot.

The wattage will also change when pressed. From 95 watts to 25 watts there or thereabouts.

You got it for a steal.

I used the amp to great affect with a pair of mission m74s they sat within the same range as your m72s.

Stick with what you have.

Cd player wise I used mine with a nad c540 but they’re quite long in the tooth now and hard to find in good working order.

Reactions: stu888

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
i was looking at a pair (601S3) or a pair of mordant short mezzo 1 as an upgrade
At a later date.as for Cd players either what sr-91 suggested cd6007 or maybe a cd6000 ose but thanks for taking time to respond to my tread

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
Pm 8000 is a spec bump as mentioned above the pm 7200 was a very well reviewed amp. The review I remember used mission speakers specifically the 780s.

One word of warning. If you put it in to class a mode make sure you have gubbins of room around it, it will get very hot.

The wattage will also change when pressed. From 95 watts to 25 watts there or thereabouts.

You got it for a steal.

I used the amp to great affect with a pair of mission m74s they sat within the same range as your m72s.

Stick with what you have.

Cd player wise I used mine with a nad c540 but they’re quite long in the tooth now and hard to find in good working order.
Hi il have a look at a c540 thanks for the advice

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
Why is it that everyone has been polite and really helpful yet every comment that you have put on this post has been passive aggressive and negative? I came on here looking for advice/help yes there some things you can't answer and as you have said more than once i need to try for my self. I get that but why be so blunt?

Why is it that everyone has been polite and really helpful yet every comment that you have put on this post has been passive aggressive and negative? I came on here looking for advice/help yes there some things you can't answer and as you have said more than once i need to try for my self. I get that but why be so blunt?
Nobody is trying to be blunt as far as I can see.

Who exactly are you referring to?

D

Deleted member 201267

i was looking at a pair (601S3) or a pair of mordant short mezzo 1 as an upgrade
At a later date.as for Cd players either what sr-91 suggested cd6007 or maybe a cd6000 ose but thanks for taking time to respond to my tread
If you have the funds i would buy a brand new machine as a 2nd hand CD player might have thousands of hours use and might break down !

Also a home demonstration / trial, in my opinion, is the only valid way to judge whether a component is right for you.

If you explain to a dealer that you want to do this they should oblige.

Failing that just purchase an item, test it, then return it if you don't like it within a certain time frame which is 14 days i believe ?

Reactions: WayneKerr
Failing that just purchase an item, test it, then return it if you don't like it within a certain time frame which is 14 days i believe ?
It’s quite a complex area. Distance selling ( that is, mail order) Regs give you certain rights to return. But it isn’t designed to be a free demo offering! It has to be fit to resell, and it takes experience to repack Hifi like new. That’s why we see discounts on ‘on box’ kit which is usually returned.

Best find a dealer that explicitly will permit returns.

D

Deleted member 201267

It’s quite a complex area. Distance selling ( that is, mail order) Regs give you certain rights to return. But it isn’t designed to be a free demo offering! It has to be fit to resell, and it takes experience to repack Hifi like new. That’s why we see discounts on ‘on box’ kit which is usually returned.

Best find a dealer that explicitly will permit returns.

Good information. I guess its more likely a £300 item will be loaned out for a home demo rather than a £30,000 unit !

Reactions: nopiano

stu888

Oct 15, 2023
Visit site
Well if any of you guys fancy lending me yours to test out? Hahaha.Il start with the suggestions made by you guys... am sure my local shop if I ring and ask if I can take the amp down to there demo room with the intent to spend X amount on equipment am sure they will be willing to help rooms 17ft x20ft solid walls m72i on stands placed a foot of both walls in each corner qed silver aniversary xt bi wire cable marantz pm8000 and a rega p1 turntable.

Good information. I guess its more likely a £300 item will be loaned out for a home demo rather than a £30,000 unit !
Indeed! Some dealers will literally lend kit, if they know you. Others want 100% up front; some just a deposit. It depends.

Another option is to buy used on eBay something you’re happy to resell. Extended home demo in spades! (I sold two different pairs of speakers for what I paid, after a few months fun with them. )

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone
New to the forum so please be gentle. I have acquired a marantz pm8000 amplifier. And a pair of mission m72i book shelf speakers. I have tried researching the amp online but seems to be little or no info/reviews about the amp . My questions are....
Is the pm8000 any good?

What would be a good cd player to use with the unit?

Am pretty happy with the sound atm but what would be the best speaker upgrade for the future? To get the most out of the amp.

Thanks for your time

Regards stu
Marantz have always made solid kit and in its day the PM8000 was a good amp. Its Class A / AB function is unusual.

I have the PM8005 and it has worked perfectly for the last 9 years. You can pick up old Marantz CD players on Ebay for little money. There are a couple of K1 Signature players there now and they were top notch in their day.

The PM8000 will drive pretty much any speakers. I've always paired Marantz amps with Kef speakers and again there are loads on Ebay.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts