Amplifier for listening at low volume + nearfield listening

OtoVelas

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
I greet everyone and thank you in advance for any information that will be helpful for solving my question.

I have a small study of 4x3 meters, where I want to listen to high-quality music while sitting at the computer (CD, TIDAL, ... ). So it's about listening at a close distance and mostly at low volume (a lot at night). On the sides of the monitor there will be speakers near the wall, I have a Harbeth P3ESR DX, they were often recommended for such listening.

I need to choose an amplifier, I am considering the Marantz PM7000N, which also has a stream. If this amplifier is not good enough for Harbeth and is not able to play well at low volume, I would also go for Marantz Model 30 (which is supposedly excellent at low volume) + some DAC+Streamer.I like the Marantz and both have tone corrections, which is suitable for low volume as I read.

What do you think/experience with it? Does it make sense to go to the more expensive Model 30, for my listening conditions? Or should I choose a cheaper Marantz PM7000N and in cooperation with Harbeth and low volume it will also be sufficient and of good quality?

Or your recommendations for an amplifier for my conditions and speakers?

Gray

It's about listening at a close distance and mostly at low volume
You may already be familiar with the purpose of the 'loudness' function on some (often older) amplifiers. It's used to make lower appear more like higher listening levels.

You should find you don't need such compensation due to your nearfield use.
But those Marantz models have got tone controls - so you could use them to compensate if you find it necessary.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I greet everyone and thank you in advance for any information that will be helpful for solving my question.

I have a small study of 4x3 meters, where I want to listen to high-quality music while sitting at the computer (CD, TIDAL, ... ). So it's about listening at a close distance and mostly at low volume (a lot at night). On the sides of the monitor there will be speakers near the wall, I have a Harbeth P3ESR DX, they were often recommended for such listening.

I need to choose an amplifier, I am considering the Marantz PM7000N, which also has a stream. If this amplifier is not good enough for Harbeth and is not able to play well at low volume, I would also go for Marantz Model 30 (which is supposedly excellent at low volume) + some DAC+Streamer.I like the Marantz and both have tone corrections, which is suitable for low volume as I read.

What do you think/experience with it? Does it make sense to go to the more expensive Model 30, for my listening conditions? Or should I choose a cheaper Marantz PM7000N and in cooperation with Harbeth and low volume it will also be sufficient and of good quality?

Having home demoed P3 ESR XD they sounded impressive, even at low level, with my Leema Pulse.

Or

Both come with returns policy.

Otherwise Marantz should be a good choice.

WayneKerr

If you can afford the difference in price between the 7000N and the Model 30 then I would, personally, go for the Model 30. It is without doubt the better of the amps and will be excellent at low volumes if my Marantz Ruby is any indicator.

The 7000N, though excellent, I assume sounds similar to the 7000/8000 series of amps. I previously owned the 8000 series before moving onto the Ruby and there is no comparison. It won't be twice as good but I think you would definitely notice the difference.

I also own Harbeth P3's in a similar size room but not in a nearfield listening position and they sound great at any volume. Can you get a home loan of the 7000N and Model 30 as this will answer all your questions?

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
If you can get hold of one the newly released naim nait anniversary edition might be just the ticket especially if you're going to have it on the desk. it's only a half-width design. Will have more than enough power for extreme nearfield, naim has great synergy with Harbeth.

A little more expensive but this amp will keep its value and will become a collector's item, a rare investment piece

The only real option for low volume listening is to get the right speakers, in my humble opinion.
The Harbeths are good so any amp with decent current delivery like a Rotel would be suitable. Unfortunately audition is the key.
Unfortunately also nearfield listening tends to remove any spacial aspects but also room effects so perhaps, as some hinted active speakers may be the way ahead.

manicm

If you can afford the difference in price between the 7000N and the Model 30 then I would, personally, go for the Model 30. It is without doubt the better of the amps and will be excellent at low volumes if my Marantz Ruby is any indicator.

The 7000N, though excellent, I assume sounds similar to the 7000/8000 series of amps. I previously owned the 8000 series before moving onto the Ruby and there is no comparison. It won't be twice as good but I think you would definitely notice the difference.

I also own Harbeth P3's in a similar size room but not in a nearfield listening position and they sound great at any volume. Can you get a home loan of the 7000N and Model 30 as this will answer all your questions?
The Model 30 is A LOT more expensive than the 7000N, and does not have built-in streaming. You probably meant to suggest the cheaper Model 40n.

WayneKerr

So, thank you very much for all your opinions and your time to write an answer, I appreciate it.

I decided on the Marantz Model 30, I already have it at home. Now I have to choose a suitable DAC streamer for it and the sound can start streaming ;).

Thank you
Apologies for my previous remarks Oto and thank you for coming back. Please let us know your thoughts when you're ready. If I had known you didn't have a streamer I may have suggested an alternative, but I'm sure you will enjoy the Model 30.

OtoVelas

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
No, I definitely meant the Model 30. Had I known Oto didn't have a streamer I may have suggested the Model 40n.
Model 30 is ok. According to the reviews, I think that it will be an amplifier with a good sound for me, which can serve for a very long time even in different sets (and I managed to buy it with a 30% discount, slightly used). I can change the separate streamer + DAC from time to time according to the development of formats and needs, but the amplifier will remain. This is how I came up with it and decided ;).

OtoVelas

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
Apologies for my previous remarks Oto and thank you for coming back. Please let us know your thoughts when you're ready. If I had known you didn't have a streamer I may have suggested an alternative, but I'm sure you will enjoy the Model 30.
Wayne that's OK, thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'm looking forward to starting it in the new office completely and then I'd like to share my knowledge and experiences ;).

WayneKerr

Model 30 is ok. According to the reviews, I think that it will be an amplifier with a good sound for me, which can serve for a very long time even in different sets (and I managed to buy it with a 30% discount, slightly used). I can change the separate streamer + DAC from time to time according to the development of formats and needs, but the amplifier will remain. This is how I came up with it and decided ;).
I believe we think the same way, amplifiers and streaming should be kept separate for the reasons you have stated. The Model 30 will live on through countless streaming updates and can easily be inserted into any system and still perform exceptionally well. Good luck sir, and thank you again (y)

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I'm not sure what your budget is and I am a little partisan with my choice. I'm using near Adam T5V field monitors in an active setup, I can play low volumes and they sound superb. I wholeheartedly recommend these babies.
I suspect you're looking for a simple set up, I would definitely throw in the mix Eversolo Streamer/DAC DMP-A6 and for £1K'ish or there about, you got the perfect base, which over a course of time, you can add, a head phone amplifier or/and a subwoofer.

View: https://youtu.be/vniWmD-HAoU

View: https://youtu.be/hem5Vh_k55Y

Last edited:

OtoVelas

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
EverSolo DMP-A6 looks interesting, I didn't know it. Since I will listen to my set while working with a PC, browsing the stream on a PC is the most ideal for me. I'm considering making my PC a streamer (Tidal application = easy control, searching for songs, skipping, ... without the need to use a mobile application). I have a Toslink optical output from a PC and I would only connect it to an external DAC converter. I think it should work, I probably don't need to pay for controlling the stream in an external device.

Reactions: WayneKerr

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site

The NAD 320 bee, was excellant at low volume, They are selling for £70 on ebay!

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I

recently got hold of a Model 30. Before acquiring this amplifier I was using a PM8005.
The improvement in sound quality is clear I think , certainly at low level. Actually at any volume level. It might cost more, but I believe in this case, you get what you pay for. I would say the 30 is a brilliant amplifier, even at low volume. I will say though that the source has be the highest quality possible.

WayneKerr

I

recently got hold of a Model 30. Before acquiring this amplifier I was using a PM8005.
The improvement in sound quality is clear I think , certainly at low level. Actually at any volume level. It might cost more, but I believe in this case, you get what you pay for. I would say the 30 is a brilliant amplifier, even at low volume. I will say though that the source has be the highest quality possible.
Erm, I think you'll find Oto purchased a Model 30, John :)

Some will always say ‘source first’ which for many years was a Linn mantra. On the other hand, as turntable manufacturer a cynic might say ‘well they would say that, wouldn’t they?’

But it’s worth bearing in mind with any system building.
I think this becomes more important when putting together an analogue system rather than a digital one.

Reactions: JDL
I think this becomes more important when putting together an analogue system rather than a digital one.
Definitely. Engineering still rules with LP replay, but it seems less critical when there are no moving parts.

Mind you, some streamers are better made than others. This is the board - well everything practically, including sockets - that was replaced when I had my Linn streamer upgraded. Looks pretty decent to my eyes.

View: https://imgur.com/tzyRRgp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts