Almost there!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Alright fellas,

First of all, I want to thank all of you for participating in scratching my upgrade itch. After many months of auditioning, researching, and questioning, I'm ready to commit.

As many of you know, I listen to classical music only and will be using the system in a small room (3.5x4.5).

I have three options, and they all sounded great.

1. Rega Apollo - Rega Mira 3 - Rega R3

2. Naim CD5i - Naim Nait5i - Rega R3 

3. Rega Apollo - Naim Nait5i - Rega R3 

The deciding factor may be this: I want a system that I can live with for a long time.

Which one would you prefer? Other suggestions are also welcome, especially the speakers.

A

Anonymous

For what you listen to (and for anything as far as I'm concerned), option 1. That combo (I heard it with the R5s) works incredibly well together. I was quite taken back as to just how well given the cost!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Same here! Although Naim will add pace to the sound, I feel you need 2 naims in the system rather than 1.

so option 1 properbly the best all round.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I shouldn't have listened to Option 2. It was so open and dynamic it's really hard to forget. Option 1 sounded focused and engaging in a subtle way. Option 3 was...I don't know. I'm confused now!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:batonwielder:it's really hard to forget

Job done then
Yeah, as it happens my friend who had option one with the R5s borrowed the Nait5i. His view initially was wow, this is incredible. Later on he found it fatiguing, less natural and not quite right. He went back to the Mira and loves it. Perhaps this is one of those "more or less hifi sounding" decisions. Rega is more hifi, Nait isn't. Just my opinion.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:JohnDuncan:batonwielder:it's really hard to forgetJob done thenYeah, as it happens my friend who had option one with the R5s borrowed the Nait5i. His view initially was wow, this is incredible. Later on he found it fatiguing, less natural and not quite right. He went back to the Mira and loves it. Perhaps this is one of those "more or less hifi sounding" decisions. Rega is more hifi, Nait isn't. Just my opinion.

So...more hifi is better? Rega is more hifi and Naim is more musical, you mean?ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
May I add my vote to Igg's and TM's. I have extensively heard all the combinations you mention (go back in my postings and you may find them) and think your first option is a fantastic one for non-fatiguing long term listening though personally and with some friends we thought there was another one which took the best bits from system 1 and 2; Cyrus 8vs2 and 8x player with Rega's 3 (I did have that system although with different speakers but it was'nt just me that agreed on that). Of course now you could replace the player with the new 6 or 8se which probably ups the ante further. Its also upgradeable in the future and its another one make system which I think looks nicer.

Of course you may have heard that combo and did'nt think the same so if thats the case I'd whole heartedly go with system 1.

PS. Kef iQ7 now replaced the Rega 3's as my favorite budget floorstanders/small speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
But to make it easy for you and not confuse further, for that amount of money you have to listen to AVI's ADM9.1. It is, put simply, in a different league to anything you mention. Sorry.

Ashley James of AVI is, I believe, a classical music buff, so I would assume they naturally excel with the genre though they are just fine all-round.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Drummerman, you were the first person to spark my interest in the R3's. Don't switch sides on me now!ÿ

Anyways, I wish I could listen to the new Cyrus gear, but the distribution in the States is very poor at the moment or has been for some time.

I'm still uncertain at the moment as to the long term listenability of the Option 2 and 3. I think it's the glowing green logo playing tricks.ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rega's are fine. If you think after a short dem that system 2 might be fatiguing then it probably will be, you've already picked up on it.

I think your suggested Rega system looks and sounds lovely. One of the mags over here had a regular 'beautiful system' section, where anything from 2k or so up to a couple of hundred thousand pound systems were featured. I believe the Rega Brio/Apollo/R3 was the cheapest one that made it in there. I personally think its nice and hope you'll enjoy it for a long time.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:Oh man, I have a feeling that I'm gonna regret my decision.

You have'nt naimed your decision yet ...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-8.gif

....option 1....

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

You have'nt naimed your decision yet ...ÿ
emotion-5.gif

I'm taking time for a regal decision.....that doesn't even make any sense!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:drummerman:

emotion-5.gif

I'm taking time for a regal decision.....that doesn't even make any sense!

A big, steaming royal turd if it's the wrong one ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Olli1324:Importantly, is it 'ray-ga' or 'ree-ga'?

Well now, the company was formed by Tony Relph & Roy Gandy so I think maybe Rega with the 'Re' pronounced as in 'regular' or 'reggae' (ie 'Regga') could be another possibility :)

But I have never failed to make myself understood pronouncing it 'Ree-ga' and no-one has ever corrected it.

Of course if the 'g' was pronounced as in 'Agincourt' or 'regent' then it could be 'ree-ja'! But that is just silly

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:batonwielder:
JohnDuncan:1. I can't be doing with all those remotes....
emotion-2.gif

Funnily enough, it HAS crossed my mind...

Shame the Naim remote is so much better looking than the Rega one though
emotion-2.gif

Could someone tape JohnDuncan's mouth? He's trying to drain my bank account!ÿ

Oh BTW, has anybody seen the R3's in Maple in person? I've only seen Cherry and am not really fond of its discoloration when aged. Rosenut looks better but Maple looks great in pictures. More decisions!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts