Dynaudio Evoke 30, Sonus Faber Sonetto III, Spendor A7's or ProAc D20R?

Witterings

Looking at 3 speaker options as per the title .... Dynaudio Evoke 30, Sonus Faber Sonetto III or ProAc D20R.

EDIT: One other I'd add to the shortlist are Spendor A7's

Info on room size etc. I'm running an Arcam SA30 but may possibly look at alternatives in the future if I felt there was any benefit in going Hegel / Naim / Rega ... or other so I'm in this for the long term trying to build a really great system before the dimishing returns take over.

Room size .... immediate listening area is 21.3 Sq M .... 5.1m wide by 4.26 deep (This is the critical listening, not too bothered about the rest) but it's open plan to a dining area behind making it a total area of 36 Sq M .... my old AE Evo 3's never had a problem filling the space adequately and it's carpeted / well furnished with sofas.

Unfortunately running it with a sub isn't currently an option either.

The one thing I REALLY don't want is anything that would fall into the *Bright* catagory, my ears have become more sensitive over the years and I suffer with tinnitus so much prefer something richer / warmer but I also love detail and picking out individual instruments and hearing the detail in them.

I love my bass as well especially if it's tight and punchy, not boomy and overpowering but clarity and richness that adds to and fills out the song contributing to an overall rich and fuller sound.

I'm tempted with the ProAcs but I do see quite a few comments saying they can be bass boomy, I don't know if that's because people are trying to use them in a smaller room or too close to walls, the people that don't find this seem to absolutely love them, seems they're a bit of the marmite speaker.

There's much less information generally availbale on the other 2 in forums etc. so hard to try and form any opion on user experience.

I know everybody's going to say go and listen to them, I don't want to bore people with my personal circumstances so please just take it for granted that's not currently an option however I want to avoid paying £80 with insurance to send ones back that really aren't right so am trying to narrow it down as much as possible.

If anybody's heard any of the above or has any input I'd really appreciate.

Last edited:
Only heard the ProAc speakers and I thought the bass was fine.
That was in a dealers, well spaced out in the room, and my ears though.
Driven my a Musical Fidelity amp I believe.
that said I kind of like the look of those Sonus Fabers..... :)
Curious as to how you got to these three...

Witterings

Curious as to how you got to these three...

Having found qualities I don't like then spending time doing research / going through forums, if I see commenst describing characteristics I don't want then they get discounted. Also speaking to people / retailers asking what speakers they'd consider as warm. I think it's widely accepted that some have a "brighter" sound than others, a lot of these seem to have metal tweeters of sorts.

The Sonus, at least 2 people in forums have commented that they're generally warm and then I was talking to a retailer about the Dynaudio's and the chracteristics I lwas looking for and he immediately said the Sonus's.

One other I could probably add to the list and am considering is the Spendor A7's.

Last edited:

Witterings

.... I hope thats 'add' to the list... :)
Funny that because I was going to mention Spendor

Haha ... teach me to read back what I typed :ROFLMAO: ... now corrected.

Have you heard the A7's .... a few days ago I was convinced they were the way to go but then I saw a comment in a forum about them being boomy and a dealer said the same, although it was one that didn't stock them and was maybe trying to steer me towards what they did stock.

The comment on the forum, it may be they were a bad match for their room or poor placement because apart from that 1 comment everything else you read / hear about them is very positive.

Haha ... teach me to read back what I typed :ROFLMAO: ... now corrected.

Have you heard the A7's .... a few days ago I was convinced they were the way to go but then I saw a comment in a forum about them being boomy and a dealer said the same, although it was one that didn't stock them and was maybe trying to steer me towards what they did stock.

The comment on the forum, it may be they were a bad match for their room or poor placement because apart from that 1 comment everything else you read / hear about them is very positive.
yes I have heard them, boomy bass it not something I would assign to them.
however, that's my ears in a dealers demo room so what you are going to hear in your room I have no idea.
spending this sort of money you are really going to have to audition yourself.
personally I liked the ProAcs better, but not a lot in it so would depend on what you can get either for.....

Reactions: Witterings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts