Active speakers.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Clare Newsome:

If I ever had the size of room - and budget! - to take them, i'd put B&O's BeoLab 5 speakers right up there on my luxury-big-room-speaker shortlist. Deeply impressive.

beolab5-white.jpg

Funny you mention these, I was watching the Dark Knight on Sunday - did anyone notice Batman had these in his living room?!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
If I ever had the size of room - and budget! - to take them, i'd put B&O's BeoLab 5 speakers right up there on my luxury-big-room-speaker shortlist. Deeply impressive.

beolab5-white.jpg

Wow, there nice AFAIK there out of budget
emotion-6.gif
but one can dream.

Left this morning with some number's to call local outlets.

I called Audio Warehouse regarding an ATC demo but the guy (John) was on the road so i've e-mailed regarding it, so i await his call or e-mail.
emotion-1.gif

I called several other outlet's, Deco Aylesbury, Audio Avenue Maidenhead, Sevenoaks Oxford, all of these had no active's at all which i thought a bit odd.
Audio T Oxford had some Dynaudio but nothing else, must say Paul at Audio T was very interested in what i was doing and pointed me in the direction of Oxford Audio Consultant's who i'd never heard of before and contacted. Seemed a decent fellow on the other end but alas no active's only PMC's in the DB1, FB1, PB1, and Fact 8. I explained what i was up to and that i had a potential demo with some ATC's but he's still happy to do a demo using the Bryston PowerPac but i feel these will eat up a lot of the budget, though they do come up now and then pre-owned.

Had a look at the Adam active's and they look impressive but again i think pre owned would be the only route so it's not worth travelling to Essex, though i would like to!

Thank's for all the advise and offer's so far...
emotion-21.gif

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
emotion-21.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:

A comment on active sound:

- if you are used to passive and or budget full-range speaker sound (as I was), be prepared to hear thin/lean, "unimpressive", 'disappointing' bass probably on your very first demo and especially on familiar tracks. that is lack (less) of distortion and harmonics. See if you like that!

Interesting comment AlmaataKZ.

My system now is lean sounding mainly down the room environment and centre's on transient's rather than harmonic's, it has gritty edgy sound to it.

What kind of distortion are you talking about here, the kind that give the a system it's "sound" or a better waveform?

Would you say though the lack of harmonic's is purely down to the ATC's or does you DAC have influence?

Intrigued...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the event opals are out of stock with the distributor, until the end of april, so might be difficult to find at a 'bricks and mortar' retailer.

they're on my list.
emotion-1.gif

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:Just had a look at the Opal's. Good spec but i feel they will get lost in the room, ideal for near-field app though.
emotion-21.gif

They're pretty big! With an 8 inch woofer and massive SPL's. Most certainly not refrained to near field. What size of room are you thinking of?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
davemartin01:
shooter69:Just had a look at the Opal's. Good spec but i feel they will get lost in the room, ideal for near-field app though.
emotion-21.gif

They're pretty big! With an 8 inch woofer and massive SPL's. Most certainly not refrained to near field. What size of room are you thinking of?

A fair size granted though the room is 8m x4m and 6m vaulted ceiling.

My Totem's (two drivers and a treble) get a bit lost in their to be honest the Opal's may work but would have to be a home demo for sure..

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:SThere's also the ADM40 active floorstanders coming at some point this year, well worth the wait if you have the room.

Had a look around today regarding the ADM40's and found snippets of information, linear AB power supply, inputs, remote
emotion-21.gif
and likely cost but no date yet
emotion-6.gif
Heard anything?

I must say they look a very interesting proposition. The info on inputs is pretty much non existent bar the fact there will be 8 so i'm wondering if they will have an analog input like the ADM9T. That for me would be the holy grail if the sound quality is there.

I see your using the AE igglebert, do you use the Toslink out of and into your AVI's?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
they usually retail around £2300 a pair. i believe the maker claims they are the lowest distortion speakers available, and has challenged all the other speaker manufacturers to a fight. or something.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

shooter69:igglebert:SThere's also the ADM40 active floorstanders coming at some point this year, well worth the wait if you have the room.

Had a look around today regarding the ADM40's and found snippets of information, linear AB power supply, inputs, remote
emotion-21.gif
and likely cost but no date yet
emotion-6.gif
Heard anything?

I must say they look a very interesting proposition. The info on inputs is pretty much non existent bar the fact there will be 8 so i'm wondering if they will have an analog input like the ADM9T. That for me would be the holy grail if the sound quality is there.

I see your using the AE igglebert, do you use the Toslink out of and into your AVI's?

I imagine that those Opals would fill a village hall, let alone a domestic living room
emotion-1.gif

Yes, I used the Toslink out into one of the digital inputs on the ADMs. Superb piece of kit and a bargain at under a £100.

A

Anonymous

just spotted your sa1's iggle, i can see why you don't want to part with them, they're gorgeous....

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:I imagine that those Opals would fill a village hall, let alone a domestic living room
emotion-1.gif

Sorry igglebert not for me, nice speakers they may be but not keen on the 40hz cut off and that they are designed for near field purposes also gets the elbow from me. Mrs S isn't to keen on the look's either, butt ugly she said.

igglebert:Yes, I used the Toslink out into one of the digital inputs on the ADMs. Superb piece of kit and a bargain at under a £100.

Yep i use one at the moment but not in Toslink mode. I'm quite happy to use it at a streamer into some ADM40's
emotion-4.gif

I'm sitting tight until they come about.
emotion-2.gif

Just hope they fit the 10 inch woofer and not the 8
emotion-21.gif

Cheers for the heads up
emotion-21.gif

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Shooter I think 10" is being used they do have a blog about them on there site.
Nick

Spelling

A

Anonymous

It'll be the 10" driver as used in the ADM subwoofer. The driver weighs a tonne! Well not quite. I imagine two of those beasts in a pair of three-way speakers with loads of power will be quite something. Based on all known things, the bass control will be staggering.

TRENDING THREADS