Active speakers.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol.

Let's say I wasn't totally shocked! ATC SCM50s (convertable passive to active) as reference speakers, storming 5 star review for the 100s - I'd say WHF has good taste
emotion-5.gif
emotion-2.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw:ATC SCM50s (convertable passive to active) as reference speakers

May be i was acting in haste when i said i'll sit tight
emotion-10.gif

Picked up and e-mail this morning from John Plank at The Audio Warehouse, more on this later..

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It's really interesting to have a problem & find that others have been discussing the same issue before. I have passive ATC SCM20s coupled with AVI power amps. AVI pre-amp, AVI tuner & AVI CD player. I like my system enormously. We also have an old CRT TV, which we have decided to replace (probably with a Panasonic TX-P42GT30 which will be connected to the internet & my workstation). It occured to me that if I had some active speakers (like the active ATC SCM20s) connected to my TV & my workstation, I wouldn't need any of my power amps. pre-amp, tuner or CD player? I could listed to various sources of radio from the TV, the internet or my workstation & I could listen to my CDs from my workstation. At worst, I could connect my laptop to the speakers & play my CDs directly from that? I wouldn't then need a pre-amp, nor DAC. Or is all that just too simplistic?

Also, I was very interested in the comment about lack of depth. I listened to a pair of AVI ADM 9.1s last weekend. Or they might have been 9.1Ts. The voice reproduction was incredible but I found the full orchestra a bit thin. Am I going to find the same with other active speakers, or was my experience because the 9.1s are in pretty small boxes?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts