Should I upgrade my speakers? Using Arcam A28 amp

Hi all,

I've been setting up a HiFi system for near-field listening on my desk. I've had lots of components come and go (mostly used) in the past 3 months and I'm wondering if I should settle or upgrade the speakers.

My current system is: PC > HRT MS II+ > Atlas Equator IC > ARCAM A28 > Atlas element cable > Epos K5.

I know that I'm not getting everything I should from the Epos currently. I've recently put them on an impromptu stand on my desk and they have improved vastly, so I'm looking into building custom stands to elevate them to ear level. In addition, I will add some acoustic foam on the wall behind them.

Space is limited, the speakers are 80cm apart and 10cm from the back wall. I've check models of most brands to find models that match in regards to my space limit, they are:

Side-step: (but potentially better synergy)

Totem dreamcatcher, Focal 705, Dali Opticon 1

Upgade:

Neat Motive 3, PMC DB1i, ProAc Tablette

So what do you think? Would you go for a similarly priced speakers but better synergy to the Arcam, would you upgrade, or stay put?

Thanks for your time

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Unless you're planning to switch your set up to a more standard listening configuration rather than desktop in future pretty much all speakers are going to sound compromised.

Out of those, I guess the Proacs might work best in that position, but personally I'd prefer to use some active monitors that allow you to adjust the bass, etc. to better suit the placement.

Itsik Hefez said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already invested in the DAC/AMP/ cables so not looking to go Active Monitors currently. Anyone else here have experience with Totem/Neat acoustics/ProAc with Arcam?

Agree with ID - any of those speakers will be compromised in that particular set-up. I have experience of PMC 'i' series (DB1i and I own TB2i), and have heard the Totem Arros. I would suggest the Dreamcatchers and ProAcs would be better suited in a confined space. PMCs are a great match for Arcam but need breathing space....

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree think you would be wasting your money, maybe look at some Neat Iotas and wall mount them. If it was me I would get some actives for that set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts