Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
ok6MfZjl.jpg
Vladimir said:
I guess they needed bigger than off the shelf Noratels. *biggrin*

Yummy!
No that's these! My god Vlad they do sound good, have you thought more about selling them yourself, in your location?

letterkenny

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
letterkenny said:
It certainly feels very well put together and is suitably heavy. There is a blemish on the LCD readout on mine but not sufficient that I would send it back again (its only 1mm square). The remote adds a sense of occasion being built like a brick rather than the cheap and nasty light plastic efforts some components come with. In addition its a no frills design so the remote is the main point of contact , was clever to make a good one! Only had it just over a week so still bedding in.

If you don't mnd me asking - Do you live in Donegal (ROI), as your name might suggest?

I'm from Letterkenny but live in Bristol now, been in the UK since 2001.

Zatsasva

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi there just wondering now you've had the up for a few days what your verdict is? Specifically is it a nice warm sound with no trebly harshness? Still intrigued with these amps......

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am really impressed by your experiences with the Abrahamsen amplifiers. They sound amazing and certainly seem to retain the electrocompaniet strengths. Do you find the soundstage (classic electrocompaniet strength) to be as good?

Most importantly, I remember someone commenting that after contacting Abrahamsen they were informed that an update of the amplifier product line is imminent. Is this indeed the case? Are they expecting a new product line after the 'up' versions?

Yiannis

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Soundstage is a result of the ability of the amp to control the driver. With a 1000Va transformer and 100,000uF of capacitance to control drivers (damping factor) they should be and I have had somebody replace a poped ECI-3. As to new range they have been saying that for a year or so. When it does come I'm sure it will be more expensive and better? I actually think it's reasonably close having said that I have been waiting 3 months for the Cambridge CXN! But I doubt they will let me sell it so I'm biased, you make the call! If I get any updates I'll let you all know.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Zatsasva said:
Hi there just wondering now you've had the up for a few days what your verdict is? Specifically is it a nice warm sound with no trebly harshness? Still intrigued with these amps......

I've been burning the amp in all week, but haven't had much time to listen. Today I was working from home so I got to put on some music in the background.

I'm very happy with the Abrahamsen V2.0-UP, I think I may have found the sound I am looking for. I would say it is slightly on the warm side of neutral, I certainly don't have any over the top high frequencies that I was plagued with before. I don't think it colours the sound very much. It certainly makes the music enjoyable and it goes plenty loud with my PMCs if I want it to.

I must caveat what I say with this: my old amp had a built in DAC, so I am also using a new DAC too. This means any changes I notice may not just be down to the Abrahamsen amp. Also I only have 1 pair of speakers (PMC FB1i) and can only compare to my old amplifier (Naim SuperNait 1).

Having said that, I prefer the Abrahamsen to the Naim. It makes the music just as enjoyable, but a lot less fatiguing. I am now seeking out an Abrahamsen DAC as I don't believe my Dspeaker Anti Mode makes a great DAC (I did comparisons against the Naim a few months ago).

Please note the Abrahamsen doesn't have an earphone output, you can't rename inputs and it only has three RCA inputs + 1 balanced. None of that bothers me so I can easily recommend the amp.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Another positive experience with the Abrahamsen cheers Wilro, If you need warranty in the first year I will be happy to oblige even though you didn't buy it through iQ. Im also going to talk to a HiFi repair company to setup ongoing support with the backing of Abrahamsen, diagrams, parts etc. I sent a V20UP to IPL, and Ivan is a very conservative chap and highly technical! here is what he said: Day 1The Amp arrived yesterday Many Thanks

Did some listening last night with the S4s , it really is very good with a very clean but natural midrange. I would not hesitate to recommend it with these speakers.

Will be doing some more listening today with the other speakers and the AV amp , and I will let you know the outcome. but well done on finding this

Kind regards Ivan

Day 2

Hi Colin,

Spent another day listening and the amp is especially impressive on larger speakers S4 and S5tl but needs careful matching with front end, will do some more today but it is likely I will purchase amp from you.

Will let you know,

I was thinking of doing a small part of my site on recommended amps etc, and I am happy to recommend the Abrehansen and refer customers to you for purchase

Kind regards Ivan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
cno, bad puntuation! sorry, he is from Larne

I have not sold an amp to anyone from Larne...Unless it was the Linn Kairn/LK100 that I traded in with Lyric hifi, which they then sold on; but I don't know who bought it.

I am intrigued by this, so can you give a little more detail?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Stent coming out on Thursday. Can't come too soon.

A stent! what have I missed Cno?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

This: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/topic-and-miscellaneous/meand-ae

I have had the stone zapped, but they inserted a stent, which is more than a little incomfortable.

When you mentioned a stent I immediately thought it was your heart!

You've certainly been in the wars over the last year or so... here's to a speedy recovery my friend.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Burnsie, are you still around? Would you still be up for me coming over to listen to your setup? I could bring my k3 and speakers and see how they compare. I'm still getting accustomed to the sound of the k3 so was thinking maybe in a months time or so?

Cheers!

Rog.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes I am still lurking around, of couse you can. Give me a shout anytime and we can sort something out. It would be good to see what you think of the Abrahamsen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts