Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
2015-05-29%2014.46.47_zpsbyihhf6m.jpg

Holy Abrahamsen!

Two V4.0 UP's power amps in bridge mode one for each channel. Blimey Its got some power. The soundstage is so deep you could wade through it, not heard anything like this before at the volume I'm able to play it at. Bass has increaced dramatically. Can not wait to try them on the S2 speakers when they come back from dem tomorrow*crazy*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Holy Abrahamsen!

Two V4.0 UP's power amps in bridge mode one for each channel. Blimey Its got some power. The soundstage is so deep you could wade through it, not heard anything like this before at the volume I'm able to play it at. Bass has increaced dramatically. Can not wait to try them on the S2 speakers when they come back from dem tomorrow*crazy*

I am not suprised they sound powerful , the V4.0's bridged must be about 250 wpc into 8 ohms and 500wpc into 4 ohms or more *shok* .

Thors hammer just got bigger and better !

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Soundstage is a result of the ability of the amp to control the driver. With a 1000Va transformer and 100,000uF of capacitance to control drivers (damping factor) they should be and I have had somebody replace a poped ECI-3. As to new range they have been saying that for a year or so. When it does come I'm sure it will be more expensive and better? I actually think it's reasonably close having said that I have been waiting 3 months for the Cambridge CXN! But I doubt they will let me sell it so I'm biased, you make the call! If I get any updates I'll let you all know.

Morning IQ, How are you getting on with the Cambridge CXN. Thinking of getting one.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
JMac said:
It'd be good if he (Abrahamsen) could do an Abrahamsen Nemo equivalent.

Or just weld four of these Abrahamsen SA1's together , in fact they could probably weld themselves together with 40 amps of continuous current and 200 amps peak current !

indexphp_zpsbd2af734_1.jpeg

The 2 Channel Audio Power Amplifier With today's quality parts and the improvement of the original design, this amplifier will again set a new industry standard, just as the original did. To extend the quality of this product as much as possible, several features have been built into the concept. All transistors are matched to further reduce the distortion. Only high current, high temperature low impedance capacitors are used. This current reservoir is made up from different sizes of capacitors in parallel, to create a supply as linear as possible for all frequencies. A “clamp” is holding these capacitors, forcing them together to remove any internal movement of the electrolytic so that the well known “micro phonic” effect is avoided. All AC and DC voltages are connected with 2x6mm copper rails to avoid any cables in the current path. A new type of speaker terminals has been developed under the name “d’vise”. It is made from 16mm copper bolt and 2mm copper bracket to ensure that there are no impedance loss or “diode” junction between your speaker cable and the output transistors. Fully protected with an intelligent protection circuit with no influence on the sound. Balanced and single-ended inputs. Balanced bridgeable to 4 times the power.
Specifications:..
THD (-1dB) 0.02%
THD (half power) 0.02%
40 Amp continuous current
200 Amp peak current
TIM 0.001%
DIM 0.001%
Slew rate 100VuS
Frequency response (-3dB) DC to 1MHz
25W into 8 Ohm, 45W into 4 Ohm, 90W into 2 Ohm
Input sensitivity 1.0V

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow the Nemo is some beast! and DM she wasn't best pleased when shw walked in with the 2 V4.0 blasting bass at max volume, I beat a hasty retreat to the pub! Thank god the SA1 is not available anymore Electro!

The CXN is very good far easier to set up than the SM6 sound quality is very good and seems pretty stable. The Airplay feature is great beacuse you can throw anything through it, Tidal, Qobus, earbites etc.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
JMac said:
It'd be good if he (Abrahamsen) could do an Abrahamsen Nemo equivalent.

Or just weld four of these Abrahamsen SA1's together , in fact they could probably weld themselves together with 40 amps of continuous current and 200 amps peak current !

The 2 Channel Audio Power Amplifier With today's quality parts and the improvement of the original design, this amplifier will again set a new industry standard, just as the original did. To extend the quality of this product as much as possible, several features have been built into the concept. All transistors are matched to further reduce the distortion. Only high current, high temperature low impedance capacitors are used. This current reservoir is made up from different sizes of capacitors in parallel, to create a supply as linear as possible for all frequencies. A “clamp” is holding these capacitors, forcing them together to remove any internal movement of the electrolytic so that the well known “micro phonic” effect is avoided. All AC and DC voltages are connected with 2x6mm copper rails to avoid any cables in the current path. A new type of speaker terminals has been developed under the name “d’vise”. It is made from 16mm copper bolt and 2mm copper bracket to ensure that there are no impedance loss or “diode” junction between your speaker cable and the output transistors. Fully protected with an intelligent protection circuit with no influence on the sound. Balanced and single-ended inputs. Balanced bridgeable to 4 times the power.

Specifications:..

THD (-1dB) 0.02%THD (half power) 0.02%40 Amp continuous current200 Amp peak currentTIM 0.001%DIM 0.001%Slew rate 100VuSFrequency response (-3dB) DC to 1MHz25W into 8 Ohm, 45W into 4 Ohm, 90W into 2 OhmInput sensitivity 1.0V

Both my Cyrus's and Sony STR DB930 have more power and less distortion ...

... love the blue LED lightshow though and it looks 'manly' :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Wow the Nemo is some beast! and DM she wasn't best pleased when shw walked in with the 2 V4.0 blasting bass at max volume, I beat a hasty retreat to the pub! Thank god the SA1 is not available anymore Electro!

I did not know that the SA1 had been discontinued but it does not surprise me, it had a very limited market and was I suspect just a modern tribute to the original 1973 Electrocompaniet 25w Two channel power amp that was such a landmark in amplifier design .

The incredible Nemo monoblock is just two AW180 mono's bridged in one box to produce 600wpc into 8 ohms and 1200 wpc into 4 ohms and 150 amps of peak current !

If I ever feel the need for more power *shok* then I will buy two more AW180 mono's and bridge them .

One Nemo monoblock .

ClassicAW600Nemointernal_zps8d87762a.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Home now and my S2TLK back with me, Mark has ordered a pair to replace his Sonus Faber Veneera 2.5 bought a year ago!

I would of never belived it but the soundstage from the 2 V4.0UP are completly different its like a wall of sound that projects way behind you, speakers completly disapear. Back to the V2.0 UP much more focused soundstage with singer bang central. To be honest I think I prefer it though I may just not be used to it. The V4.0 are totally different which I find amazing. Thoughts anybody?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Home now and my S2TLK back with me, Mark has ordered a pair to replace his Sonus Faber Veneera 2.5 bought a year ago!

I would of never belived it but the soundstage from the 2 V4.0UP are completly different its like a wall of sound that projects way behind you, speakers completly disapear. Back to the V2.0 UP much more focused soundstage with singer bang central. To be honest I think I prefer it though I may just not be used to it. The V4.0 are totally different which I find amazing. Thoughts anybody?

Good marketing ;-)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So cynical DM I think you are in denial over the looks. Seriously I'm really surprised. I am honestly exposing myself to different configurations and the results.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
So cynical DM I think you are in denial over the looks. Seriously I'm really surprised. I am honestly exposing myself to different configurations and the results.

... and it is fun to read :)

I once had a Densen Beat amplifier at home. I just couldn't get over the golden knobs.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It's all from the heart DM much like you and the plastic Cyrus! Well I suppose there are 2 similarities? Two brass knobs. And I'm very pleased you are enjoying it all.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
iQ Speakers said:

... and it is fun to read :)

I once had a Densen Beat amplifier at home. I just couldn't get over the golden knobs.

Why doesn't that surprise me *wink* .*smile*

Frobisher

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I ordered the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP yesterday and had it delivered this morning. I'm using it with Dali Ikon 2 Mk II speakers. I previously used those speakers with a Yamaha AS700 amplifier. I was satisified with what I previously had but after seeing posts about the Abrahamsen amp I was tempted to try it so thought I would take a chance on it. I have had several hours of listening with the new amplifier and here's some thoughts. Early impressions are excellent. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but to me it sounds better than what I had before. Music somehow seems more involving and has more depth to it and seems more controlled. I don't really know if that's the right way of describing it but I know for sure that I'm enjoying the music more than I used to. I was a little sceptical about the difference changing an amp would make but I'm delighted with the new sound. Some pros - * The build quality of the amplifier is excellent. It's really heavy and feels very well constructed. I expect it's going to last a long time. * Sounds great at low and high volumes. * Listened to a lot of music today and it's all been enjoyable and no trace of harshness which I occasionally had with my previous amp. * Remote control is a good size and easy to use. * Display is easy to read from a distance and it shows the volume level clearly. * Volume control works well. Can increase or decrease volume without it jumping or down too fast. Minor downsides - * The kettle lead that came with it was too short for me so I had to replace it. May not be an issue for others but I would have preferred it coming with a longer lead. * Replacing the battery on the remote is a bit awkward as you need to take two screws out of the remote before you can access the batteries.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
drummerman said:
But it looks so ...

... they/he really needs to change that 80's facade :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I am sure you are well aware *biggrin* .

There is the possibilty that the Vendetta series may appear someday, but nothing happens hastily in Norway .

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/abrahamsen-audio

True, some would question the aesthetics of cyrus ... I call it timeless (and practical) :)

Just a change of volume knobs on the Abrahamsen would probably make a difference. Perhaps something less shiney and nicely machined ... ala ATC?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
But it looks so ...

Beauty is irelavent, one mans...... Sonic ability, specs and price are tangible, fact, this is where the Abrahamsen excels. I would not give house room to the plastic fronted ergonomic mess that is Cyrus!*stop*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
drummerman said:
But it looks so ...

Beauty is irelavent, one mans...... Sonic ability, specs and price are tangible, fact, this is where the Abrahamsen excels. I would not give house room to the plastic fronted ergonomic mess that is Cyrus!*stop*

Lovely magnesium alloy casted casing. Incidently made in Scandinavia for Cyrus for many years :)

iQ Speakers said:
drummerman said:
But it looks so ...

Yip. One man's steak is anothers offal. Ultimately, SQ aside, matching with the rest of the kit is essential IMO. I've always said the Naim with the Leema is 'orrid, while the Electrocompaniet looks the biz aesthetically.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
PP do you fancy trying one? I can ship you one for a couple of weeks to try no strings! I know you like to champion small brands.

View it as a review item.

(Gasp) What a insult! *blum3*

Thanks for offering - still as happy with the Pulse as when I bought it in 2010. Although not the most sophisticated sonically, it really is the hi-fi equivalent to my Alfa Romeo. Everytime I spin a track a smile comes over my face. Fun, fun, fun...

Cheers anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts