Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in the Abrahamsen V2.0 amplifier but unable to find any reviews of this or any other equipment made by them. Can anyone point me in the direction of reviews? Has anyone got one? Can they comment?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No none I can send you, a couple of Norweigan ones I saw but they were PDF's so could not translate though bits I typed and translated were all positive. I'm assuming you know the heritage, I'm going to order the UP version if I sell my Sugden. Shipping to UK is around £77. Have emailed them and have had positive replys I posted on here. Fantastic spec PSU etc. Electro alerted me to them. Let me know if you order one and I'll visa versa!

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I certainly would appreciate any feedback and especially from someone who has one! I am aware of the background of Abrahamsen and they 'should' be good. Will look forward to hearing back from you when yours arrives.

Pavlo said:
I certainly would appreciate any feedback and especially from someone who has one! I am aware of the background of Abrahamsen and they 'should' be good. Will look forward to hearing back from you when yours arrives.

Not me. There's a forumite called "Electro"... he's obv is a huge fan of Electrocompaniet, so you may receive a biased opinion.

If they are selling at a fraction of the price of a "proper" Electro then there has to be some sort of catch. That is my opinion.

What that catch is I couldn't say as I've not heard one.

What I do know about hi-fi is 'what you give is what you get.' Or put another way: I am sceptical of so-called 'cut price' components, especially when no-one has heard one, let alone purchased.

boggit said:
The main reason PP is they sell direct. Now why they sell direct is another matter.

Understand that selling direct can save money. But almost 4 x less than the basic EC1-3? And according to Electro he says it's claimed the SQ to be between the EC1-3 and 1-5. That's one huge boast at such a discounted prices.

Perhaps I'm way out of touch, and could end up mud around the face. Presumably, only time will tell.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Selling direct it's actually a drawback for a small company, not a good thing. It's only the biggest sellers that may benefit from selling direct—take Apple or Dell, for example. And even them, they also sell through distributors—it's just that they don't respect the traditional structure of selling only through distributors; but they can do that because their products are highly demanded.

In order to grow, a company needs to set a distributor network to increase sales. Increased sales will result in a reduction of manufacturing costs—and there are also other costs that will be reduced such as commercial and first-level support for products. Distributors also help a company to balance its financial structure by pre-purchasing products.

If Abrahamsen is not doing this is likely because they can't, or they don't know how to. Or they are too small to have even thought about it.

I am not sure if this has been raised before, but apparently everyone seems to be ok here with a company so blatantly copying the products made by another. It's not just whether the technology may be similar—or maybe, not. It's also the physical appearance of the products. I wonder how they are getting away with it. Shouldn't it be easy for Electrocompaniet to sue them? I think that the new line that hasn't been released yet looks way better, anyways.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what the final bill would be to import one of these from Norway though?

The cost of the amp is approx £470. On top of that you've got the shipping costs of £70/£80. Then you've got 20% VAT to add on, and then UK duty to add on, and presumably some admin charges as well. I reckon you wont get much change out of £800.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I was going to look for reviews but they already had me at "1000VA transformer in a 70W/140W amp".
Me too and at 16Kg 4Kg more than my sugden, (unless they ship with concrete) thats got to be some PSU.

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
The Abrahamsen audio range are sold via Sweden so no problems with vat or import duty. Still hoping to hear from someone who has one or who is buying one! They look to be great units but I would need to know more before parting with quite a bit of money!

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought the upgraded version of this amp about 6 months ago to replace a Musical Fidelity M3, the upgraded version adds some capacitors to the power supply and a new emitter board for the idling current on the Class A area. They make some other changes too but I think they are mostly cosmetic. To upgrade it cost roughly an additional £200. In total with delivery and the exchange rate at that time it cost £730 and there was no import duty.

I use the amp with Spendor SA 1 speakers and a Audiolab 8200 cd. I felt that the MF 3 was not driving the speakers as well as they should be and decided to take a chance on the Abrahamsen. The amp made a huge difference to the sound of the Spendors, it really opened up and sound and is really good with most of my music. The only problem that I have had has been that I have been noticing sibilance on certain recordings. I am unsure if this is the fault of the amp being bright, my room, the source, speaker positioning or just bad recordings.It doen't sound anywhere near as bad on the sililant recordings played from my PC on Apple Lossless through the Audiolab DAC.

I have been working far too much recently and just have not had the time to get to the bottom of it. As I say most of my music is sounding great. I don't want to hijack this thread talking about my small problem, its just my experience of the Abrahamsen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Burnsie said:
The only problem that I have had has been that I have been noticing sibilance on certain recordings. I am unsure if this is the fault of the amp being bright, my room, the source, speaker positioning or just bad recordings.It doen't sound anywhere near as bad on the sililant recordings played from my PC on Apple Lossless through the Audiolab DAC.

Hi Bernsie and welcome to the forum.

You have a great system there. The SA1s are one of my favorite small speakers and if the Abrahamsen sounds like the Electro ECI amps, it should be a magic combination....and certainly shouldn't be bright and sibilant.

I would point the finger towards the Audiolab for sounding forward and exaggerating any deficiencies in the mastering.

It is possible the room is contributing, if there are a lot of hard shiny surfaces....and I would avoid silver coated copper cables.

To check if I'm right, you need to borrow a less analytical source, like something from Linn, Rega or Arcam.....FWIW. I'm a big fan of the Linn Sneaky DS.

CnoEvil said:
Burnsie said:
The only problem that I have had has been that I have been noticing sibilance on certain recordings. I am unsure if this is the fault of the amp being bright, my room, the source, speaker positioning or just bad recordings.It doen't sound anywhere near as bad on the sililant recordings played from my PC on Apple Lossless through the Audiolab DAC.

FWIW. I'm a big fan of the Linn Sneaky DS.

You always Sneak that one in. *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Burnsie said:

FWIW. I'm a big fan of the Linn Sneaky DS.

You always Sneak that one in. *biggrin*

*pardon*

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, the difference the Abrahamsen made over the Musical Fidelity was really noticeable. I have not heard an Electrocompaniet so I can't comment on it being a similar sound to the Abrahamsen but with the recordings that don't have any sibilance the sound is very good and I would recommend it.

Once the bank account recovers from christmas I will be heading out to my local HIFi shop to get a listen to some sources to see if that where the problem lies. I will keep you updated.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Burnsie said:
I have been working far too much recently and just have not had the time to get to the bottom of it. As I say most of my music is sounding great. I don't want to hijack this thread talking about my small problem, its just my experience of the Abrahamsen.
your not hijacking you're the one guy we need to hear from!!

We need to know build quality looks and sound quality compared to other amps, come on!! You're the guy we have been waiting for and you are very welcome.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
boggit said:
your not hijacking you're the one guy we need to hear from!!

We need to know build quality looks and sound quality compared to other amps, come on!! You're the guy we have been waiting for and you are very welcome.

+1

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your welcome Boggit, the build quality is very good. It is built like a tank and finished to a high quality. The only downside, and its not that bad, is the remote is not the comfiest thing to hold but it is functional. As I said, I had the Musical Fidelity M3 and I was happy with it but always thought that it was not driving my speakers to their full potential. Possibly as Plastic Penguin said maybe the MF just sounded a bit staid. I had the Arcam A-18 before the MF all being played through the Spendors. Every amp has been, to my ears, a definite improvement to the last. The sound from the Abrahamsen is really good and on the whole I am very pleased with it, for the price I do not think I could have bought better. I do have a problem with sibilance with certain recordings that I never really noticed before and I do think that the Abrahamsen could be showing up the deficiencies elsewhere on my system. I do not have another CD player to try but I will be taking the amp along to my local store to find out where the problem lies. But with a good recording the sound is fantastic and I cannot fault it.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for getting back for some reason I really like the idea of the V20up, how long did it take to come? As for remotes you want to see the one on my Sugden it wouldn't look out of place on a Tesco DVD. Where abouts in the country are you?

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It took about 2 weeks to get here, from placing the order to delivery, tracked all the way. I payed for it through PayPal so at least there is a bit of safety that way. They are a very decent company to deal with and kept me informed of how my order was progressing. I am hopeless at sending links or pictures but if you Google Abrahamsen V2.0 UP in images there is a couple of pictures with the lid off. The picture with the extra capacitors on the right hand side is the UP version.

I am up in Edinburgh, if you are close or ever up this way you are more than welcome to come and have a couple of beers and a listen to the amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts