Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Naim has good and bad bits. Good: music is groovy and exciting. Bad: some music becomes too harsh and gives me earache. The TeddyCap did help a bit, but its still an issue for me.

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

i've just got my v20up today. Massive difference with my previous alpha8+alpha8p.

speakers are Tannoy Revolution R3.

sound is full, image has grown dramatically and, well, as mentioned before it looks as a great amp for the price.

So far very happy.

ps: I was told by Mr. Abrahamsen that they should have a new Dac around June/July.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

All amplifier ciruit designs are decades old by now, most over half a century. What changes throughout the years is features and slight improvements in electronic components in 10-20 year generation leaps.

[/quote]

Not all. - Devialet.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Vladimir said:
All amplifier ciruit designs are decades old by now, most over half a century. What changes throughout the years is features and slight improvements in electronic components in 10-20 year generation leaps.

Not all. - Devialet.

Class D is from the 60's and ADH is from the 00's. My point was new topology and circuit designs don't come out every year or 5 years. Only thing that changes that frequently is the trim. Naim is old circuit designs from an RCA hobby electronics book from the 50' yet people keep buying them today.

Zatsasva

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
did you get it from iq or did you go direct to abrahamsen on their website? If dealing direct with them what's the sales process like and Is it correct voltage for the uk, do you get 3 pin plug? All very basic questions I'm sure, just curious myself, can't get these Amps out of my head! please post your findings when you get it, I need someone to tell me if its as warm sounding as my beloved musical fidelity a100!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I went direct, although I did speak with iQ too to get some advice. Both Colin at iQ and Thomas Abrahamsen have been very helpful.

Can't answer the rest of your questions until I get it. I will post my findings once it is up and running.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Class AB or Class D amp with smart circuit design that keeps low intermodular distortion should sound smooth like class A, sans the bloated electric bill. Report back if this is what you'll be hearing compared to the MF A100.

And early congrats! *drinks*

Zatsasva

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Well I've heard the a21 and a21se and yes both sounded very much like my a100, so using my amazing powers of deduction the up should be comparable to the a100. I just love that class a warmth. Gotta start saving now.....

letterkenny

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
Well I've joined the crew with a V2.0 UP. Sounds great with XTZ 99.36s. It does however need the volume dialled right up for good sound levels. Although I know volume controls are not linear it is turned up to 48 - 50 (with a max 60) on the display. Is this consistent with what other users are finding? Theres no distortion at all, I just found this a bit odd!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep that's normal! The marketing people didn't get final say "so if it goes really load at 12 O'Clock the punters will think it's a really powerful amp" As you say it does not distort. And welcome to the club!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Yep that's normal! The marketing people didn't get final say "so if it goes really load at 12 O'Clock the punters will think it's a really powerful amp" As you say it does not distort. And welcome to the club!

So in other words the Abrahamsen has been designed properly. That's what I like to hear.

letterkenny

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
It certainly feels very well put together and is suitably heavy. There is a blemish on the LCD readout on mine but not sufficient that I would send it back again (its only 1mm square). The remote adds a sense of occasion being built like a brick rather than the cheap and nasty light plastic efforts some components come with. In addition its a no frills design so the remote is the main point of contact , was clever to make a good one! Only had it just over a week so still bedding in.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
letterkenny said:
It certainly feels very well put together and is suitably heavy. There is a blemish on the LCD readout on mine but not sufficient that I would send it back again (its only 1mm square). The remote adds a sense of occasion being built like a brick rather than the cheap and nasty light plastic efforts some components come with. In addition its a no frills design so the remote is the main point of contact , was clever to make a good one! Only had it just over a week so still bedding in.

If you don't mnd me asking - Do you live in Donegal (ROI), as your name might suggest?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have also joined the club! My V2.0-UP arrived today.

Initial impressions are very very good. In order to try and describe the sound, the music seems to "pop" out of the speakers far more than it did with my Naim or Nad. I guess I am saying the soundstage is better? Difficult to describe, but my older amps sound recessed in comparison.

I wouldn't say the amp is bass-heavy or bright, its seems to be fairly neutral. The sound is very engaging though and I can't wait for an extended session. I can hear lots of detail (like reverb) too.

Build wise, it is very heavy and solid and looks the business. The remote is sturdy too - annoyingly I dropped one of the screws that holds the battery compartment on and can't find it! No big deal, I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement. I noticed the same thing with the volume, I am listening to it at 36-44 and that is plenty loud enough for me.

The Abrahamsen is connected via a Balanced Input from my Dspeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, which is acting as a DAC and has balanced outputs. I am on the hunt for an Abrahamsen DAC, but they are no longer in production.

I've only had it for 2 hours, so needs burning in. However I already believe it is better than my Naim SuperNait 1 and every other amp I have owned.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow guys, pretty amazng feedback (shame you didn't buy them from me!) However if you should ever need warranty or repair as long as Abrahamsen support me I will help you out.

I got the V3.0 Pre Amp and V4.0UP Power amp today and they are even better, but only just. I have 2 more V4.0's on order so I can try the bridged setup 140W per channel. Vlad I have put loads of close up photos for you, one of the massive Noratel trasformer Owww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts