Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebedee

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mac,

Thanks for the welcome. I've heard good things about your blog from iQ. I would definitely try & listen to this combo if you get the chance as it really is stunning. I've demoed systems over the years costing a lot more than the Abrahamsen amp & iQ's IPL speakers that did little or nothing for me.

Since demoing, purchasing & setting up this system it has been been pure, unadulterated joy!

I've got the Sonus Faber Concertino's with the matching SF stands. I loved them until I heard & saw iQ's IPL's!

Cheers,

Zebedee

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
He did, and he only came around for a listen, that was the deal, he was going to buy pre power from Abrahamsen. I think we both had 3 fun hours and both learned things. I really enjoyed it!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Zebedee said:
Hi Mac,

Thanks for the welcome. I've heard good things about your blog from iQ. I would definitely try & listen to this combo if you get the chance as it really is stunning. I've demoed systems over the years costing a lot more than the Abrahamsen amp & iQ's IPL speakers that did little or nothing for me.

Since demoing, purchasing & setting up this system it has been been pure, unadulterated joy!

I've got the Sonus Faber Concertino's with the matching SF stands. I loved them until I heard & saw iQ's IPL's!

Cheers,

Zebedee

Your welcome.

Hopefully in the not too distant future IQ is going to load up his car and head down to me for a session.

Please feel free to take a look at the blog and would be great if you were to sign up... although down for maintanence just at the moment.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
At 5.30 to 8.00 in the evening! I came straight from work. That's not the point i enjoyed it immensely and when you're building something new you have to put in a massive disproportionately amount of time. The great thing with this is I enjoy it and I'm not viewing it as an income stream. In 2 years I might have a business but in the meantime I'm enjoying myself. Just google IPL acoustics, iq speskers, or Abrahamsen Amplifier many hours of time to get those results!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Pavlo the OP came around yesterday afternoon, he was not what I was expecting with a name like Pavlo! then again boggit some kind of hairy thing! Any way I'm pretty sure he was blown away with the setup, hopfully he will be along shortly to give you his thoughts. Meeting some interesting people and learning, all good. Hopefully Abrahamsen are going to talk to me after easter to get some UK service support in place. They have been hearing good things about what we have been saying looks like they have been having a good few sales from the UK recently.

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I think UK service support will open many more doors for you. Your reports over the past few months have made this a tempting product, but £800 is still a significant outlay and I'd feel more comfortable if there was a UK agent for repair/service.

I think your journey has been inspirational, and I wish you every success.

Good luck

Mike

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
moosey said:
I think UK service support will open many more doors for you. Your reports over the past few months have made this a tempting product, but £800 is still a significant outlay and I'd feel more comfortable if there was a UK agent for repair/service.

I think your journey has been inspirational, and I wish you every success.

Good luck

Mike

I agree.

I've said previously that sometime this year I will be looking at getting a new amp around the £900 mark. I would like to have a go at building my own speakers as well. so the IPL matchup makes this all the more interesting.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Mike thank you for your kind words. If you could hear what I'm hearing right now those thoughts would vanish. But yes that's what I'm trying for its gradually working. I'm just enjoying watching people's reaction, body launguage and smiles! Glad to hear somebody else out there is listening, I must admit I read the thread back last night and thought oh dear!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hi johnathon any tips I can give you don't hesitate to ask. They are pretty special especially when you build them yourself!

Thanks for the offer. We've been supporting my son through college - it's a vocational course that you don't get a normal student grant for, so we have covered most of his living expenses which has been quite significant - well frightening really. He finishes in a few months so I am hoping to be able to get a new amp then. I've done most things in my house including building a wooden fireplace and refurbishing furniture, so building speakers really appeals to me. Might have to wait until 2016 for that project as I have been given a big list of other things to do first *sad*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure he'll repay you! Somehow. I know that feeling of lists. We presently have the house covered in scaffolding. Thing to do is take the build steadily and accurately they are very precise, then again I'm sure your wife is with the lists!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Carry on like this and you'll soon be regaling us with tales of restoring your vintage Royce and motoring down the the South of France, and telling us that recording hasn't advanced much since Florrie Forde cut her first wax cylinder. ;-)

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
@Boggit How would you describe the characteristics of the Abrahamsen sound? Would they be a good match for PMC FB1i, which I find to be a touch on the bright side?

I really like the idea of Abrahamsen

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
@Boggit How would you describe the characteristics of the Abrahamsen sound? Would they be a good match for PMC FB1i, which I find to be a touch on the bright side?

I really like the idea of Abrahamsen
Just very neutral I run mine with the IPL transmission line speakers. The UP is much faster sounding, the bass notes are very well controlled huge soundstage with instruments placed precisely. It was a good improvement from my Sugden A21SE and Audio Analouge.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Do you know if the V6.0 DAC is about to be replaced/upgraded? Its been around a while and seems to be out of stock on the Abrahamsen site right now.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
email with them yesterday, they have been setting up new production facilites and working on new prototypes as to specifics i don't know. Rest assured the V2.0UP is a very fine amp.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the V20-UP was released in 2007? Thats pretty old (but does that matter, I am not sure). Maybe it is better to wait for newer models.

I hate it when you buy something and a new version comes out immediately afterwards.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
email with them yesterday, they have been setting up new production facilites and working on new prototypes as to specifics i don't know. Rest assured the V2.0UP is a very fine amp.

What is the warranty offered on the V2 OUP?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
2 Years with Abrahamsen. Somthing new will be more expensive, and the V20 UP is that good it does not matter! The Sugden A21SE has been round for years they dont pander to fashion or chase those sales with new models just rock solid products.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I mailed Abrahamsen for more info and this is what they said:

"We are working on a whole new series of products that will be released this year.
Also a new DAC.

There will be a change in design from the V-series.
I do not have any more information so far on the new products.

Best Regards

Thomas Abrahamsen

ECS Holding AS"

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Looks like the V20-UP was released in 2007? Thats pretty old (but does that matter, I am not sure). Maybe it is better to wait for newer models.

All amplifier ciruit designs are decades old by now, most over half a century. What changes throughout the years is features and slight improvements in electronic components in 10-20 year generation leaps.

wilro15 said:
I hate it when you buy something and a new version comes out immediately afterwards.

Then buy something that will become a future classic. Abrahamsen vs Sony, NAD, Marantz. Which one will retain the cool factor with age?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess you're right about amp technology. I do like the look of the V20 amp.

I'm hesitant to make the leap as I am buying blind and do not know for sure that the V20-UP will be better than my SuperNait mark 1 (which has a TeddyCap). Everything I can find to read seems to say it will work with my speakers, but still a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts