Abrahamsen audio amp v2.0

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh PP I'm not trying to sell you one I gave up that notion along time ago! Thought you might enjoy the experience and for me the more people who recomend them the better as I can not as I have ulterior motive. So a review from you would be good simple as that. Just think of the people you will be saving from buying an over priced under performing amp, you spotted the huge bargin the Leema was and helped numerous people get great sound at a bargin price, If I had to buy a another system and I didnt do what I do I would get one in a heart beat, along with PMC GB1i's probally make another pair of IPL's though.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Oh PP I'm not trying to sell you one I gave up that notion along time ago! Thought you might enjoy the experience and for me the more people who recomend them the better as I can not as I have ulterior motive. So a review from you would be good simple as that. Just think of the people you will be saving from buying an over priced under performing amp, you spotted the huge bargin the Leema was and helped numerous people get great sound at a bargin price, If I had to buy a another system and I didnt do what I do I would get one in a heart beat, along with PMC GB1i's probally make another pair of IPL's though.
I dont have the margins or the clout for normal marketing advertising, you never know you might enjoy the experience!

I appreciate what you're trying to do. Like you I run my own business which has largely been built through 'word of mouth'. For the past month I've knocking my gonads out due to demand. Haven't had a day off, apart from Sundays, for that period, so enjoying a well-earned rest today and tomorrow.

I really wouldn't want to waste your time with arranging carriage. And don't forget my Pulse is a 'one-off'. When I had to send it back to Leema to have the headphone socket sorted, they replaced the circuit board and re-earthed the amp top to bottom. The result is more clarity, improved bass definition and picks out the nuances. And something Mrs. P noticed when it came back: The whole soundstage sounded more solid. None of those improvements are huge but enough to be discernible. At the same time it hasn't lost any of its original sonic 'cheekiness'.

I wish you good luck. Sure you'll have a real hoot.

Meantime, I've got to repair a big scratch some bar steward put down the side of my car.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The paint! its SSR Sprayless Scratch Repair from the USA. Clean the scratch rub the paint in with finger drys in 30 secs, buff with special polish, re apply paint if needed, polish, bingo.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I dont have the margins or the clout for normal marketing advertising, you never know you might enjoy the experience!

[/quote]

I guess keeping this thread alive is one way of going about it as are customer reviews.

Better still would be a magazine review. Can't this publication do one?

mpj1988

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

A bit of a revival, but looking at one of these.

Current setup is the following; Sonos connect (Deezer, flac), Lindel DacX, Arcam delta 290 & 290P biamp, Mission 782.

Anyone care to add anythoughts of replacing the Arcams? Could also try balanced inputs, never tried before.

Dont really know much about Abrahamsen or their background. Obviously had a google etc.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I've just bought the v2.0UP with their DAC II and am very pleased with it. Don't know how it compares with your amps but it drives my Mission 753 Freedom's nicely. :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
rmatthew said:
I've just bought the v2.0UP with their DAC II and am very pleased with it. Don't know how it compares with your amps but it drives my Mission 753 Freedom's nicely. :)

Excellent choice you have most definitely done the right thing , I am sure they will give you many years of unrivalled musical pleasure. *good*

Octavian

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm very intrigued by abrahamsen stuff since I read the comments on thread here. Will v2.0 up be an improvement over arcam fmj a19 if paired with b&w 685s2? Source is a dedicated pc with heavily modified xonar essence card.
For what I saw it worth the money, but I don't know if it will be such a big improvement to worth the change.
Thank you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Octavian said:
Hello, I'm very intrigued by abrahamsen stuff since I read the comments on thread here. Will v2.0 up be an improvement over arcam fmj a19 if paired with b&w 685s2? Source is a dedicated pc with heavily modified xonar essence card. For what I saw it worth the money, but I don't know if it will be such a big improvement to worth the change. Thank you.

Hi

On paper yes it would be but only your ears can decide

Whats wrong with your sound at the moment?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Octavian said:
Hello, I'm very intrigued by abrahamsen stuff since I read the comments on thread here. Will v2.0 up be an improvement over arcam fmj a19 if paired with b&w 685s2? Source is a dedicated pc with heavily modified xonar essence card. For what I saw it worth the money, but I don't know if it will be such a big improvement to worth the change. Thank you.

In theory yes but as said its upto to you, IMHO Arcam and B&W do not gel well together, Rotel amps are recommended for B&W. I was not that impressed with the A19 either, yes smooth, refined but it had no go, did not find engaging at all, thought the Creek 50A was far better. Only way is try it out, if you order online you can return within 7 days for a refund, maybe they have a longer trial period?

Octavian

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Octavian said:

In theory yes but as said its upto to you, IMHO Arcam and B&W do not gel well together, Rotel amps are recommended for B&W. I was not that impressed with the A19 either, yes smooth, refined but it had no go, did not find engaging at all, thought the Creek 50A was far better. Only way is try it out, if you order online you can return within 7 days for a refund, maybe they have a longer trial period?

Interesting your recommendation about creek, actually the reseller proposed me the arcam over Creek(not available for a try at that moment). I'm gonna ask for a listening session, it's available on stock now. Tested Rotel ra 11, but seems underpowered.
Regarding the abrahamsen, do you think that 5-6 days will be enough to appreciate it, considering that on manufacturer recommends over 90 hours to burn in?
Thank you

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
When I got my abrahamsen after 2 hours the amp opened up and most manufacturers put that on there as a guide but ones the abrahamsen is warmed up you ready to go but have found with say the marantz pm8005 that did take some time to run-in

Hi to all,

I've been reading all this comments about this amp. I was just thinking of an upgrade on my system becuase I do not find his sound as I would like. I've made the mistake of buying the components without thinking if they mached or not. Now is time to try to sell and make the good team.

What I have now is:

1- AMP: Marantz PM6004 (45W)

2- SACD/CD SONY XE 800

3- SPEAKERS: Audio Pulsar M6 (89dB, Max 180W). http://www.studio-22.com/pulsaraudio/m6/m6.htm

I do not know where the problem is. Sound is not "alive" it sounds just fine if I push the loudness buttom but after a while I get tired of the bass. The speakers are supossed to be good, they are made in Spain (I bought them there) and I always dreamt of having a PULSAR speakers. Friends tell me that my parantz are not able to "move" my speakers and that is wy I am thinking of buying the Abrahamsen (at that fantastic price).

Do you think I need more "current"? I do not listen to my music very loud, that is why I bought a 45W amp but I should have (what friends say) bought a B&W 686S2 speaker because B&W matches very well with Marantz and Rotel (they say).

I really do not know what to do. I do not think the speakers will be easy to sell as they are not known, that is why I wanna try with other amp... but I cant listen to the amp connected to my speakers, Iive in Paris and I am not sureI can find a place to test my speakers with the V2.0 UP.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Many thanks

Victor

Welcome, Victor. My Spanish isn't any good, but looking at your speakers they appear pretty well designed and specified. (A bit like AVI DM10 without the amplifiers, I'd ponder.)

They would probably benefit from a more dynamic amplifier than your Marantz, but before spending your money, can you answer this, please?

1. Where are the speakers mounted, on what, and how near to the walls?

2. What size room, and type of furnishings? (Lots of cushions, rugs and drapes, or sparse and minimalist?)

Positioning and room type have a huge effect on your results. Have you ever heard a hifi you do like? Is there a store or two in Paris you can audition other products in?

The Abrahamsen is fine, but it isn't the best amplifier in the world, whatever you read here. If your speakers are in the wrong place, e.g. on the floor, no amplifier can redeem them.

Good luck.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Welcome, Victor. My Spanish isn't any good, but looking at your speakers they appear pretty well designed and specified. (A bit like AVI DM10 without the amplifiers, I'd ponder.)

They would probably benefit from a more dynamic amplifier than your Marantz, but before spending your money, can you answer this, please?

1. Where are the speakers mounted, on what, and how near to the walls?

2. What size room, and type of furnishings? (Lots of cushions, rugs and drapes, or sparse and minimalist?)

Positioning and room type have a huge effect on your results. Have you ever heard a hifi you do like? Is there a store or two in Paris you can audition other products in?

The Abrahamsen is fine, but it isn't the best amplifier in the world, whatever you read here. If your speakers are in the wrong place, e.g. on the floor, no amplifier can redeem them.

Good luck.

The above is very true .

The acoustics of the room and speaker positioning are the first things to consider, if they are up to a reasonable standard then the Abrahamsen will make a considerable improvement in all areas of the sound especially dynamic power and transparency due to the lack of transient distortion.

The Abrahamsen is not the best ampifier in the world but at the price the quality of sound and the standard of components used are unbeatable imo, quality like the Abrahamsen is not usually found untill you spend considerably more.

I think you can try before you buy as you are based in Europe, contact Abrahamsen for details.

http://www.abrahamsenaudio.no/#about

Thanks to all for replying,

The speakers are mounted, each one, in a dedicated foot, just 40 cm from walls. I can't do better with that. The living room does not me allowe a better configuration, although I have separated them from the walls one meter and still the sound is amalgamed.

When I listen to a well recorded CD (Patricia Barber or other jazz music) sound is good but when I go for my rock records (Cure, U2, ...) and there are plenty of instruments the sound is like an amalgame, everything is mixed, there is no separation of instrument. I do not think the problem are all these albums (I miss high frecuencies also ). I have taken some of them to an average shop of music and played them in a budget dvd player/ampli with speakers less expensive than mine and the sound was clear and I could recognized the strings from one side, the drums too, keyboards, etc...

I know tha V2.0 UP is no the best amp of the world, I jsut thought that an amp giving more current and able to "move" my speakers at low volume could be that one. Yes, I lke music sounds good at low volume as I spend most of my nights awake while I work at home. I think my speakers have a medium/high sensibility (89db) and should deliver a good sound at low volumes. That is why I thoung the problem was the ampli. Of course I know very well that a cheap B&W will sound better with my marantz becase they match very well but , as I said, I'll be difficult to sell these speakers and I think they are good, juste need the right amp.

It's a shame I can not post in here a picture of my HIFI chain, I have a pic in my computer but I do not know how to doit.

Many thanks again

victor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts