Your most recent gig

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

New venue for me as I head off to the Marble Factory. Freightrain are first up at 8.15, a bit late for a 3 band evening. They were pretty good. I don't know much about them, but they had a good stage presence and created a full sound. A lot of potential there for a band just starting out.

Next up should have been Kadavar, but one of the band members was taken ill, so they didn't appear at all.

Headliners Blues Pills took the stage at 9.15, well ahead of schedule and catching out a few people who arrived late, only wishing to see the headline act. As usual it is Elie who dominates the stage but keep a look out for Dorian Sorriaux on guitar. He reminds me a lot of a young Richie Blackmore. The third thing to note live is that they have grown to a 5 piece with the additional keyboard and rhythm guitar player. The set kicks off with Lady In gold, the title track off the new album. Then we have Little Boy Preacher, dedicated to Danald Trump ('he's a liar, liar liar'). Sad news for Elin, as Donald won. The pace is relentless. We have an extra song in Astral Plane, to make up for Kadavar not appearing. The main set finishes with a song dedicated to the 'ladies of Bristol', High Class Woman followed by Ain't No Change and Devil Man in a 3-song medley.

The encore starts with Elin at keyboards for a solo version of I Felt A Change, before the band rejoin for Rejection and Gone So Long. Let's hope they are not gone for too long and return to these shores again soon. Great live band.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
On Saturday night, Opeth at Wembley Arena.

I couldn't drop Zak off at the dog sitter till after 5, so it was always going to be tight. The traffic on a Saturday night is always difficult but last night was pretty bad. The regular entrance to the car park was shut so had to follow a vague diversion to get in. Finally got in to see the last couple of minutes or so of the support band, Anathema, which was disappointing.
The stage was brought forward a long way. I'd guess it was about 1/3 of capacity. Opeth were brilliant though and onstage for 2 1/2 hours.
The weather on the way home was just horrendous So it was a good/bad night.

I've finally come to the realisation that I really don't like the Arena (travelling included) but lots of bands play their only uk shows there.
Think I'd only go back for Rammstein or Tool.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last week. The Sisters of Mercy. A band with a very "complicated " history.

Really enjoyed it. They did most of the songs you want. Great version of Alice.
A foggy night in Bristol.
https://youtu.be/WQuQyjE3AIQ

jjbomber

The Motorpoint Arena in Cardiff was, once again, the chosen venue for Alter bridge's sole gig in wales. As an unexpected bonus, the gig was being recorded for a live CD. What, yet another live CD from Alter Bridge? Yes, it seems every tour is now recorded for a live release.

Anyway, Volbeat did a very good job warming up the crowd. I am not a great fan but they really did kick up a storm. It was Alter Bridge who most fans had come to see, and they really delivered this time. Myles Kennedy in particular seemed to be really enjoying himself. It was also great to see Bryan Marshall coming to the front of the stage on a few occasions.

The Writing On The Wall, Come To Life, Addicted To Pain, Poison In Your Veins, Ghost Of Days Gone By, Cry Of Achilles, The Other Side, Farther Than The Sun, My Champion, Ties That Bind, Waters Rising, Watch Over You, Isolation, Blackbird, Metalingus, Open Your Eyes.

Encore: Show Me A Leader, Rise Today.

1 Hour, 45 minutes.

jjbomber

Yet another new venue for me, The Crofters in Bristol. It is a large pub with a soundproofed room at the rear for live gigs. The first thing you notice (naturally) is the beer. Anything up to 6% is available on tap, though £5.80 a pint is a bit steep.

Anyway, on to the gig. A very good turnout on a very cold (-2) evening. Around 140 packed into the room for Oli Brown's rock band, Raveneye. After his recent illness, it is great to note that Oli has got his voice back and is on fine form. Adam has really grown in to his role on drums and the whole band is much tighter than the previous few weeks. Highlight, as always, is Eternity, but there are also some great extended versions of Oh My Love and Hey Hey Yeah.

This band are set for stardom. The current tour has now finished, but catch them next time, up close and personal. Bigger arenas await in a few years time.

Come With Me, Inside, Hate, No Bodies Soul, Madeline, Breaking Out, Oh My Love, Walls, Eternity, Wanna Feel You.

Encore: Hero, Hey Hey Yeah.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last Wednesday Primal Scream in Bristol.

Support was a Japanese band called Bo Ningen, hat a brilliant noise.

Primal Scream themselves were excellent. Seemed to fly by.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
On Sunday, went to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Birmingham.

Support was from Babymetal. The band is very talented but I couldn't really get on with the vocal (a bit Alvin & the Chipmunks) the support slot of around 40 mins was about right. They are less annoying listening via Spotify.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers were excellent there was always going to be issues with a band that has such a massive back catalogue of great songs. They were mixing up their set list every night. Truthfully I think the Saturday night choice of Birmingham had more songs I like (Californication, Otherside etc) but we did get Under the BRIDGE.
The show was quite unique visually. I haven't seen the screens used quite in that way and there were hundreds of lights form the ceiling the changed coloured and moved up and down. Got quite low to the audience.

https://youtu.be/24oY9SMmoyM
NOT MY VIDEO.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The last time I felt let down by a gig was Slipknot, where I thought Korn supporting were way better, and Slipknot's sound was a mess. So I was really looking forward to seeing Korn headline. Only I thought Limp Bizkit were supporting - they weren't. They both had about the same amount of time on stage - I came to see Korn.
Korn themselves were great, bar missing out some tracks that really shouldn't be missed out of a Korn gig. The problem was the sound - massively excessive bass, swallowing any bass or midrange detail, making the intros to some tracks sound completely different. Plus, Jonathan Davis' voice was well down in the mix, at first I thought he had a bad throat or something. Did the "sound engineer" do anything about it? Did he balls. It was great seeing Korn again, but the sound and lack of certain tracks dampened my enjoyment. On the plus side, I was presently surprised by Limp Bizkit, who were very good, as good as Korn I'd say. At least they played the three tracks I wanted to hear
clear.png
If this is what some people brag about being able to recreate in their home, they can keep it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A typically excellent Aynsley Lister gig at Academy 3 last night. A very talented blues rock musician, just a pity the crowd was a bit sparse. However, a clearly under the weather Aynsley played a storming set. A great night.

The Manchester Academy was the place to be last night. The Academy 2 had Chameleons Vox playing (anyone familiar with the Chameleons from the 80's will know them), and Club Academy had the James Hunter Six band playing. I would have been happy going to any of those gigs, espcially James Hunter, he's ace.

BTW. how can venues like this justify charging you £1.50 for Emailing your tickets to you, on top of the ticket price and booking fee?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Dave Mascall's Acid Lounge, last night at the Maritime rooms Cliffs Pavillion Southend on Sea.

Here is a clip from last years gig at the same venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CWUwRjqCdo

It was another night of fantastic music.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Chris Standring, - Last night at the Jazz Mix, Maritime rooms, Cliffs Pavilion Southend on Sea .

Another absolutely fantastic performance from Chris as always!

The sound balance/quality was absolutely perfect, this venue is very special indeed .

If you live anywhere near Southend you should really pop down there.

http://www.jazzfm.com/events/venue/196/

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sarah Jane Morris with Antonio Forcione last night at the Colchester arts centre.

This is a lovely venue in a very old church with a fantastic acoustics.

It was an absolutely amazing performance .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSZtdMbDeJc

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Peter White. last night at the Maritime Rooms , Cliffs Pavilion, Southend on Sea.

Another superb evening of smooth jazz .*i-m_so_happy*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2ApuLPIoE

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
King King - last night at the Mick Jagger Centre, Dartford Kent .

If you get the chance to see these guys live then don't hesitate they are fantastic.

They are just amazing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52alWswfyss

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHrFVi9JLe4

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Beverly Craven , last night at Fairkytes Hornchurch .

Just her on keys and vocals with a guy on sax , all very up close and personal at this very small venue.

A fantastic evening of quality music .

https://open.spotify.com/track/5n1MNURFHPIoBtvFvaiE44

jjbomber

Dan is over on a short tour with a new band. A good size crowd at The Globe, more than last year. Ironically Dan hasn't put out a new album thius year, yet every single song in the setlist is extended, so it was a case of nothing new but everything new. The highlight, as always, is My Chana. It is now up to 28 minutes to feature keyboard, bass and drum solos, as well as the guitar stunt playing by Dan.

Setlist: Drone/Sonnava Faith/Stop the Messin'/Bring The World To It's Knees/Bright Lights, Big City/Bet On Me/Heartbeat/Still Wanna Be Your Man/Daddy's Old Gun/Backbite/My Chana. Encores: Loosen Up the Grip/Fetch Your Spade.

jjbomber

The tunnels in Bristol is tonight's venue. First the big news. No sign of manager Franie. His wife went into Labour overnight and Franie rushed to the airport to try and catch a flight back to South Africa. He caught a flight but missed the birth. He now has a baby son; mother and baby are in fine health. Congratulations Franie.

Same setlist as last night, but the gig is 10 minutes longer. Dan gets a bit carried away at times with the improvisation, and he was well away here. In particular, Daddy's Old Gun really got the treatment. Ironically then thatone of the biggest cheers of the night is for Felix after his drum solo during My Chana.

There is an announcement on Tuesday for some support dates before the year end.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Roger Hodgson ( Supertramp ) , last night at the Royal Albert Hall .

It brought back so many memories and feelings from my teenage years, his songs are like a theme tune to my early life.

Absolutely fantastic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVQ2Rq2U0o

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts