Your most recent gig

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jjbomber

Venue is the Jolly Dolphin, a top deck bar/lounge under a tented roof. That section sold out, so they added an open section at the back. Semi open air, so no booming bass and a great sound. The band now have a keyboard player. A great addition to the live sound. Today Dan's album is launched in South Africa, so the fans were able to buy a (signed) CD after the show. Just about everybody did.

The set was the whole of the new album, plus a few favourites at the end. Highlight for me was Still Wanna Be Your Man, but it is too long for radio play, so I guess Run and Stop The Messin' will be the singles in May/June when Dan tours the UK and also the European album launch is in May. UK fans can buy the album on vinyl, but SA is CD only.

Highlight as always is My Chana. This is extended yet again, but didn't feature the one handed, arms length playing we saw at Planet rockstock. I asked dan about it and he said he's never quite sure what he does play on that song! Sometimes he checks on YouTube to find out. Live music as it should be.

Setlist: Run//Poor Old John//Sonnava Faith//Loosen Up The Grip//Bet On Me*//Heartbeat//Stop The Messing'//Still Wanna Be Your Man//Western Decay//Queen Puree//Fetch Your Spade//Backbite//My Chana.

Encore: Hold On//Bring The World To it's Knees

*Bet On Me is Song 7 on CD, otherwise in album order.

jjbomber

Off down the N2 we go to Plett for tonights gig. A good size crowd close to capacity are seated early for the support. Ironically Rowland is joined on bass by Andy Turrell, former drummer with Dan Patlansky. The support goes down very well with the appreciative crowd.

On to the main course and not so good tonight. The stage lights have failed in part, so the front of the stage is in darkness, meaning Dan on guitar and Clint on bass cannot see the necks of their instruments. The setlist remains the same, but the intensity isn't as good this evening. Not the greatest performance I have ever seen.

After the show the band exchange a few new swear words with the mirror, each other and the lighting rig. All is not well. Andy (drums) is particularly upset as he has friends and family there. The bar has been set much higher than this. Then it is time to go out and sign autographs. the professionalism takes over, but inwards they are seething. It's Dan's first ever gig in Plett, so the crowd leave happy with their signed CDs. Tomorrow is a day off anyway, except for Dan doing radio interviews. Time to regroup and move forward.

For me, tomorrow is my flight home. I won't see the band again until May, when they tour the UK. Firstly it is support to King King; then it's a headline tour.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Peter White - Last night at the Maritime rooms Cliffs pavilion Southend on Sea .

Absolutely fantastic as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGoldv7o50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFqH_JsgB40

jjbomber

Diamond Head, The Patriot, Crumlin.

The Patriots are a motorcycle club and this is their HQ, so an unusal place for Diamond Head to play. Needless to say, a very small venue and sold out. I guess about 200 in total. It really was an 'up close and personal' experience. I was about 6 feet in front of Brian Tatler.

The tour is to support their new CD, which is a debut for the new singer Ras. He is actually Danish and boy, can he bang out a tune. He is the front man that Diamond Head have needed for the last 30 years. Great voice, great stage presence, Diamond Head have finally found the missing piece of the jigsaw.

Speaking of singing, most of the songs ended up as crowd sing-a-longs. I'd forgotten just how many rock anthems were in the Daimond Head back catalogue. It got really loud in there at times, even though it was such a small venue. Four songs were featured off the new album and they went down very well. the merch stall did brisk business afterwards. The stall is run by the drummer's parents. Mum is very proud of Karl's drumming achievements, while dad moans that he should have learned the trumpet!

Having been relieved of my £10 for their new CD, it was time to meet the band to get it signed. I ended up talking to the band for about 15 minutes and managed to get a setlist from Abz, the bass player. So, the setlist as follows:

Play It Loud, Shout At The Devil, Living On Borrowed Time, Bones, Shoot Out The Lights, It's Electric, All The Reasons You Live, To the Devil His Due/In The Heat Of The Night, To Heaven From hell, Set My Soul On Fire, Lightning To The Nations, The Prince, Am I Evil?

Delayed encore: (Ras: Where's the drummer? Abz: He's gone for a crap!)

Helpless, Streets Of Gold

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Freddy V ( saxophonist with the Average White Band ) and Mo Pleasure with band last night at the Jazz Mix , Maritime rooms Cliffs Pavilion Southend on Sea .

Fantastic music at a fantastic venue !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7Sn3EVZMs

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last night went to see Manic Treet Preachers. Brilliant as always. It's the 20th anniversary of Everything Must Go. The first half they did the whole album in order.

Support was from Editors RS. Knew the name, they rented out to be really good.

They usually have a band playing in the Forum area of the Genting Arena (NEC). Last night was Dead Sea Skulls. They're on Spotify. Had them on for at church upkeep of hours this morning.

I wanna buy a Rolex
https://youtu.be/8PX3SRKg2f0

jjbomber

Gloucester Guildhall, 18th May supporting King King.

Another slice of Introvertigo from Dan Patlansky. The new keybord player, Dean is settling in well and has added a real 'thickness' to the sound, so much fuller than before. Some of the older songs like Backbite and Featch Your Spade seem rejuvinated. The slide guitar solo on Heartbeat gets an extension tonight and is much the better for it. However it is the slow blues of Still Wanna Be Your Man that really pulls at the heartstrings and is easily the most emotional number of the set. However, most regulars are there for the stunt guitar work of My Chana, and Dan doesn't disappoint. The gentleman next to me summed it up best: 'I have been going to live shows for 40 years and I've never seen playing like that'.

Tonight it's Buffalo Summer and Sunday it's Skam, so a busy week.

jjbomber

Sin City, Swansea

To launch their new album, Second Sun, the boys are back in town and at their second home, Sin City. It's a 10pm curfew, so a shortened set of 60 minutes. The sound is fantastic and I am sure they have a new PA system. However the band said it's the same as before and credited a 'ghost in the machine'. Never mind, it is a very welcome boost in quality. Highlights are Money, the opening track on the new CD, as well as Priscilla, Bird On A Wire and As High as the Pines. Even better, some of the tunes from the first album get a reworking and extension.

Album review here:

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/cd-reviews/25-may-cd/17765-buffalo-summer-second-sun-udr-music.html

jjbomber

To round off an excellent week, it is off to Leicester on a 400 mile round trip to see a support act! Glad to see/hear No Lies as the opening song, always great to wake the crowd up. Most of the favourites from the first two albums, but we also got a couple of the 3rd album. One in particular, Between The Eyes, is set for radio play and instant crowd favourite. Barnstorming riff and I'm looking forward to see planned October launch. High;ight was probably Massacre from the first album and Holy City, which closed the show. A 40 minute set, so that's 10 miles per minute!

Heafline act was Tony Wright from Terrorvision. Not my cup of tea.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last night went to see Mortiis at The Fleece in Bristol.

Completely brilliant and I'd give up all the concerts I've got booked this year to see that again.

jjbomber

richardw42 said:
Last night went to see Mortiis at The Fleece in Bristol.

Nice to hear The Fleece is still going. There was an online petition to keep it going a few years back, as the 'new' local residents were complaining about the noise from the 'old' Fleece. I hate people who buy places next to a pub and then complain about the noise.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jjbomber said:
I hate people who buy places next to a pub and then complain about the noise.

Isn't there a law, or a proposal to change the law, so people moving in close to a pub/music venue can not complain about the music noise? I'm sure I heard something on those lines a while ago.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd never been to The Fleece but thought it was great. They've had some big names (before they were famous)

I believe there was 30,000+ signatures to keep it open.

the Icicle Works were there recently, wish I'd gone.

jjbomber

richardw42 said:
I'd never been to The Fleece but thought it was great. They've had some big names (before they were famous)

I saw Diamond Head there after they were famous and went back to obscurity. I went with my cousin. I arrived to pick him up with my 7 Daimond Head CDs to get signed. I asked him if he was taking anything to be signed. With that his wife popped her head around the door to say she had made him a sandwich. Not quite what I had in mind, but we took the sandwich into the gig and got it signed by Brian Tatler.

Sad ending coming up. We got hungry on the way home and didn't want to call in the motorway services. So the sandwich met with a sticky end. But at least we ate a signed sandwich.

jjbomber

After the King King support slot, it was great to catch Dan at a headline gig. This means that most of the songs get extended, so Dan can really cut loose on the guitar work, rather than the radio friendly shorts that get played at 40 minute support slots. Among the many fine extensions are a great re-working of 'Heartbeat' and the slow burning 'Still Wanna Be Your Man'. For me however, it is the encore closer of Daddy's Old Gun that steals the show. Surely a live album is long overdue.

Crowd is around 250, so below capacity. If only people knew what they were missing.

jjbomber

Angus and Roses, Axl/DC, Whole Lotta Roses. Yes we've heard all the jokes, but now it was time for the show. I've seen them with Bon fronting them, I've seen them with Brian, so now it was third time lucky. In fact, very lucky, because Axl nailed it almost from the start. I say almost because Rock Or Bust is an awful opening song at a very low tempo. After that, it went from awful to awesome in record time.

The setlist has a lot of the old Bon songs in there, which was great for me. The usual highlights were there but an unexpected one was 'Riff Raff'. This song was made for Axl and suited his style perfectly. All the usual suspects were in place; the giant bell for Hells Bells, flames for Highway To Hell and Rosie on screen for Whole Lotta Rosie. The only mishap was the cannons in For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). The one on the far right didn't work at all, and none of the ones in the right half were working by the climax. Never mind. Just about everybody there was impressed with the show and Axl in particular.

The King is dead, long live the King.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Well I must say I wondered if Axle could pull it of I new he would not mess with AC/DC I am so glad he didn't let the side down well done Axel

jjbomber

Off to the NEC, Genting Arena or whatever it's called this week. A sold out capacity gig for one of just 3 shows for Rainbow. Blackmore had been saying he was getting out his 'noisy guitar' for a while. It was just a case of finding the right guy to front the band. he is certainly done that. Ronnie Romero has got an incredible set of pipes. At times you could have closed your eyes and believed it was Dio or Gillan up there.

With a setlist featuring Chilt In Time, Stargazer and Smoke On The water, it should be easy to pick a highlight. For me the real show stopper was Catch The Rainbow. It was the first of four standing ovations and a real highlight.

On the downside, there weren't any live screens. If you can imagine staring at a CD case next to your player as you listen from the other side of the room, that just about sume up the view. However, the 'rainbow' light show was spectacular. And if you prefer to listen to music rather than watch it, then this was the show to be at.

Meanwhile, jokes that the Deep Purple's Live In Europe album will now be called Live Out Of Europe are wide of the mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts