will you be buying a new 3D tv when its available

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With the new avatar film in 3D which was very good like me and many others that have purchased a tv in the last few years my question is how many people are going to upgrade again and buy another tv being a 3D which i have read prices are going to be from 2000 pounds upwards not forgetting that you have to have sky HD also.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
If history is any indication, only a hardcore enthusiast would buy the first generation as the price will probably plummet by the end of the year.

So the answer is yes, I'll be first in line for the new Sony I guess.
Then compliment it with a D-Box to complete the system.

I never learn
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

No, not a chance for me either. I bought my tv in June 09, and have no intention of replacing it for a good while, and when I do, a few years down the line, I will go for a projector. Whether or not 3D is a standard feature on projectors by that time I do not know, but I doubt very much that I will actively seek out a 3D capable one if they're not the norm (and if, by then, they are not the norm, then there's a good chance 3D won't have taken off in as big a way as the studios expect).

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
No not for me, it will take many years before enough content is available, just look at Sky HD that took a while before there where decent channels available. And with early teething problems and possibility it won't take off. i would not pay for a premium price for a new product.

matthewpiano

Will be upgrading my set later in the year to something from the 2010 Sony range and I'll most likely buy a BDP-S770 to go with it as well. I won't be doing this purely for 3D though because my main reasons are to increase the size of my set (from 32" to 37" or 40") and to take advantage of all the improvements Sony have made since my S2510 was made.

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
not interested in first gen 3d tv's, you'd have to be mad to jump onto the first gen tech. just throwing money away imo. will wait a few years & then, maybe.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear!
Looks like I'm the only one excited about this tech
emotion-4.gif

It's always a question "when should you upgrade your equipment".
Same thing when I bought my first decent digital still camera.
I waited until they hit 10 megapixels so it had a decent resolution, then jumped in at around £700 if I remember correctly.
Today you can buy a 10Mp spec camera for about £60 but then I wouldn't have an extensive library of thousands of photos that I have taken with my "first gen" camera for the last several years.
The pics are still pin sharp!

The last LCD screen I bought last year can now be had for around half price, but then I've already had 12 months of HiDef enjoyment out of it.
When I upgrade to HD, then the current set will be relegated to the bedroom wall, so no loss there.
I don't personally see that 3D is such a huge quantum leap of engineering compared to, say, CRT to LCD, so the technology is pretty mature already.

A bit like changing your car I suppose - a refinement built on proven components.

One thing is for sure, I am really looking forward to a 3D Summer this year
emotion-11.gif

But not in a Jaws 3D sort of way.

zientific

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Not me either, the technology has to be proven first especially on the smaller screen. It may well work in a cinema but TV's? Also those damn glasses its going to have to be pretty good for me to wear those!!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not me.

Consider the pain of getting the right 2D plasma/lcd tv, fits the budget, spend time and effort on set up, select excellent whites, deep blacks, contrast ratios at an unheard of value, super fast motion processing, unimaginable colour detail, great HD and Bluray capabilities and then.................

Compromise the lot by staring at a 3D screen through bizarrely tinted glasses, expecting what.............none of the above I would guess, just the "idea" of depth.

Just watched 3D Avatar on Saturday, maybe an unfair comparison but, super movie, great 3D, average to poor detail in the image, fast motion struggled to hold together............maybe a smaller screen on tv (therfore maybe not as noticeable) but the same will prevail for some time I would offer.

No, definitely not me

A

Anonymous

I don't find 3D-TV interesting, so I'm waiting for when the latest technology will be LEP (Light-Emitting Polymer) TVs to come on stream. By that time 3D-TVs will be cheap as chips and they will be giving the present-day sets away free with Cornflakes.

Bob.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
willieeckslyke:

I don't find 3D-TV interesting, so I'm waiting for when the latest technology will be LEP (Light-Emitting Polymer) TVs to come on stream. By that time 3D-TVs will be cheap as chips and they will be giving the present-day sets away free with Cornflakes.

Bob.

If the sets are given away free with Cornflakes, does that mean we will have to use a cereal interface?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Not me. I've only just gone full HD! Give it 5 years and the prices will be £500 or less.

A

Anonymous

I think it will be terrific. I will consume when the price is ingestible.

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
No, definitely not. I have seen a few film in the cinema and after a while I become fatigued and get slight headaches. They really need to sort that out before I would get close to considering buying into that technology.

Probably the reason why I have not yet seen Avatar.

3D for me is a bity like all the Blu-ray tech, connecting to the internet to see a new trailer or read a review by someone - not interested, I am only interested in the film.

A

Anonymous

No way Jose, not paying out again for at least another 8 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts