WHY NOT STUDIO MONITORS 4 MUZIC?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

i'm showing my inexperience here chebby but is a preamp required for the likes of the dynaudio actives i mentioned?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:
i'm showing my inexperience here chebby but is a preamp required for the likes of the dynaudio actives i mentioned?

Yes.
thanks andrew, looks like the dyn actives are off my wish list then, seeing as the first preamp that crops up in the whfi reviews is said to be cheap at over £700 :(

daveh75

maxflinn said:
Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:

Yes.
thanks andrew, looks like the dyn actives are off my wish list then, seeing as the first preamp that crops up in the whfi reviews is said to be cheap at over £700 :(

You don't need to spend £700 on a pre-amp max.

You could for example just connect an ipod (or any other mp3 player) or a PC via its headphone out directly to them, or use your AEXs analogue out and control volume via iTunes, or buy a DAC/Pre like the Beresford, or indeed by a cheapish passive pre like Creeks OBH-22...There's numerous options.

A

Anonymous

daveh75 said:
maxflinn said:
Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:

Yes.

You don't need to spend £700 on a pre-amp max.

You could for example just connect an ipod (or any other mp3 player) or a PC via its headphone out directly to them, or use your AEXs analogue out and control volume via iTunes, or buy a DAC/Pre like the Beresford, or indeed by a cheapish passive pre like Creeks OBH-22...There's numerous options.
cheers dave, what with all the recent talk on here of the avi's i had assumed all actives were as well equipped, i'll stick the dyns back on my dreamlist wishlist so :)

A

Anonymous

it's interesting that several forumites with quite a bit of hifi experience have been so impressed with active speakers.

the record spot was very taken with some genelics he heard.

iggle got rid of his beloved spendors for avi's.

daveh has the active dyns.

craig was blown away with the event opals.

i'd love to hear some for myself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
I stand corrected. This active speaker malarkey is very confusing.

Made more confusing by manufacturers (not B&W), dealers and magazines (not WHF) who get lazy and describe every self-powered PC speaker as 'active'.

Even PMC describe their DB1-SAII speakers as 'activated' despite having passive crossovers. They argue 'tis better to have one good amp and a passive crossover built in, than two cheaper amps (and the added complexity of multiple amps and active crossovers). It doesn't stop most of their dealers (including Audio-T) from calling them 'active' though.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes u do need an input volume control to use with active monitors. some kind of pre amp. I use a pro.. yamaha 8 way channel mixer. MG10/2 Cost about £120. Its got balance in & outs. So i put the balance out from my cd to the balance input. then balance out to the monitors balance inputs.

idc

I certainly take active to mean a speaker with an amp as part of it, whether built in or as an amp pack attached to the back (so making a passive speaker active).

I take studio monitor to mean a speaker with a very even frequency response. You can then have an active studio monitor.My preferred headphones are AKG, usually described as lacking in bass and a bit dry, or in otherwords, they have an even frequency response and are partly aimed at studio monitoring. As such active monitors seem ideal for me, should I feel the need/get the budget for speakers.

I agree with Max and am impressed by those who gone down that route. Messiah and al are another two AFAIK.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Yes u do need an input volume control to use with active monitors. some kind of pre amp. I use a pro.. yamaha 8 way channel mixer. MG10/2 Cost about £120.

Sounds attractive in a living room!

So, KRK studio monitors with hi-vis yellow cones and ugly black cabinets plus one of these things to plug in sources and control volume?

As I said earlier, perfect in a teenagers bedroom or in a studio but here in my lounge? Forget it!

idc

steve_1979 said:
I thought that an active speaker means that is has an active crossover with multiple amplifiers.

Who knows! Wikipedia define active as powered speakers with built in amps and which can have either active or passive crossovers..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_speakers.

idc

chebby said:
Native_bon said:
Yes u do need an input volume control to use with active monitors. some kind of pre amp. I use a pro.. yamaha 8 way channel mixer. MG10/2 Cost about £120.

Sounds attractive in a living room!

So, KRK studio monitors with hi-vis yellow cones and ugly black cabinets plus one of these things to plug in sources and control volume?

As I said earlier, perfect in a teenagers bedroom or in a studio but here in my lounge? Forget it!

Suit you sir?

v1.0

A

Anonymous

just been trawling through the active speakers/monitors on ebay and i have to say most of them are pretty ugly, someone might be onto a winner if they could make a decent pair that looks great as well as sounds great (obviously avi have benefitted from doing just that)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
Who knows! Wikipedia define active as powered speakers with built in amps and which can have either active or passive crossovers..........

So where does that leave active speaker systems with stand-alone amplifiers and electronic active crossovers that are not built into the speaker enclosure?

'Active' means multiple amps with active crossovers regardless of where the actual hardware is.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
idc said:
steve_1979 said:
I thought that an active speaker means that is has an active crossover with multiple amplifiers.

so wikipedia is not correct on this one. a true active set up consists of an active crossover (working with line level sygnals) followed by an appropriate number of power amps (depending of how many drivers you have in your speakers). active speakers would have crossovers and power amps burried within enclosures.

on the other hand, speakers with attached power amps but still sporting passive crossover network (this one works with speaker level sygnals); so you have crossover network following the power amp; are nothing more than usual amp+speakers set up. the only difference is that the power amps are hidden in speakers' boxes. such constructions should not be called "active" because in reality they are not active at all. I think some people call such speakers "powered". and I think it's a good idea to use separate terms for those two different constructions. mainly because active set up really has major advantages over passive set up in some areas (especially effective use of power amps).

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn said:
just been trawling through the active speakers/monitors on ebay and i have to say most of them are pretty ugly, someone might be onto a winner if they could make a decent pair that looks great as well as sounds great (obviously avi have benefitted from doing just that)

smiley-smile.gif

Active and beautiful

el150slp.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts