Why am I not enjoying vinyl through my headphone?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Why those the sound from my turntable sound harsh through my headphone output of my roksan amp?

I use a pair of Grado SR80's & a roksan Kandy LIII amp. When I listen to music through my headphones- it just sounds awful at parts and good at others. Is my turntable setup incorrectly? How frustrating as it seems like my turntable is set perfectly....is it my cartridge 2m red?? I thought vinyl was supposed to sound musical- but it doesn't? it is driving me nuts as I have good components...

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The general view (from the mag) is that the headphone output on integrated amps, etc, tend to provide a rather poor sound. Try getting a dedicated headphone amp. Are you able to audition one at home?

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Is it always at the start or end of the record if so it may be cartridge alignment.

I suspect with using headphones you may be getting too close to the sound, which is probably Ok for a perfect recording on a Perfect piece of Vinyl but anything less and you are going to hear all of the imperfections.

A

Anonymous

Perhaps there's perfect vinyl recordnings out there, and perhaps it's possible to get a turntable and cartidge set-up that don't distort the sound too much. Be prepared to spend a year's income on it anyway.

Generally, in the real world, vinyl sound is very far from perfect, and headphones will expose this much more than a pair of speakers.

Some people prefer to disguise the short-comings by adding something new, like the massive harmonic distortion of a tube amplifier.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
can't offer any t.t. advice, but i thought the headphone out on the L.lll was terrible when i had one. if you listen a lot through headphones it might be worth you trying a dedicated headphone amp, my old beresford dac nailed the out from the L.lll.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts