Which speakers are these? I think these are Acoustic research but don't know the exact model.

salmanzulfiqar

Mar 31, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.What makes you think they are Acoustic Research?
These would normally be labelled AR somewhere in most cases.
Why do you need to know?
Thanks! A friend told me these were for sale but didn't tell me the exact model as he didn't know. Wanted to do some research on the speaker. He just knew these are AR speakers.

How did you come to that conclusion?
I've never seen 22bx's with deep set baffles like that.
It looks like someone took the original speakers and enclosed them into another box.
Good spot, it’s certainly a huge bezel/surround. Will be awful for the dispersion but obviously the colour mattered. It takes all sorts, I guess?!

Never heard these later models but have fond memories of the original 1970s models, and the later AR18 series that was a best budget buy.

Reactions: Al ears

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
No I have not heard them. The 22bx was released in 1988 just before AR was sold to Jenson. They did not look like that.
Many AR's around this time were manufactured by Teledyne in the UK (and other non USA locations) and incorporated plastic coned woofers (which these appear to be)... some even had ported cabinets!
The 22bx was not really a classic AR speaker.

The 'Classic' AR's have the cream weave speaker cloth and lots of big paper stickers on the back which state exactly what they are (along with instructions on how to use them). They also have lots of tape and stuff on the front baffle, often including tape covering the wiring to the tweeters. They all suffered from foam surround rot and any that still exist in working order will have had the foam woofer surrounds replaced... many have had the woofers replaced with non original drivers.
These things look very 'iffy'. If you can't get to see them in person I would avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
They do indeed look like these AR22bx's pictured below and the label looks correct (1988 model possibly made in the UK or the Netherlands).
However, with what you stated about the grill attachment holes being partly covered, it definitely seems like someone has enclosed the entire speakers into a second home made 'cabinet around a cabinet' that encloses the original speakers.
I'm looking at what looks like the home made speaker stands that he/she has them on and so perhaps the same person made those speaker stands too?

Attachments

• 22bx.jpg
    22bx.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts