Which cables to use?

d_golly

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello, i'm more of a diy type, but the cables I will buy. So, i have made Leach amp, and Paul Carmody's Tarkus speakers, the source will be Panasonic DMP-BDT500 and PC, both will be connected to a DAC Beresford TC-7520. So i don't know which digital coax cable from panasonic to beresford and which interconnection analog cables for Beresford to Leach amp, and which speakers cables do you sudgest? Regards, jack.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
d_golly said:
Hello, i'm more of a diy type, but the cables I will buy. So, i have made Leach amp, and Paul Carmody's Tarkus speakers, the source will be Panasonic DMP-BDT500 and PC, both will be connected to a DAC Beresford TC-7520. So i don't know which digital coax cable from panasonic to beresford and which interconnection analog cables for Beresford to Leach amp, and which speakers cables do you sudgest? Regards, jack.

Oh for goodness sake, not another cable thread!!!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I got this Freddy.

As speaker cable I'd suggest the same thing Quad uses for their presentations. The orange power cord from Black & Decker!

Now run!

running2_zps2298652e.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure its of good gauge. The thickest you can fit in your terminals. Chord, Van Damme, Oehlbach... all are good, even that orange B&D cord.

UGcables1.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi d_golly.

It seems the guys who have answered your question don't believe in cables making a difference, either that or they have read to many cable arguments in forums. I say differently. But you should go to a dealer and listen for yourself as in my opinion they can make or break an audio system. It's all to do with shielding on the cables and how well they keep out interference. I have been upgrading the cables, Interconnects both digital and analogue and the mains cables. I confess to only having a relatively cheap speaker cable by Cambridge Audio on my Hi-Fi but its holding up ok for now but the rest of the upgrades have made a huge audible difference.

Most of the harshness has gone, there is audibly more headroom and the bass is tighter and more defined.

From your source to your DAC I recomend a Chord Company Prodac £40-£50 with the VEE3 plugs on the end. You want the least amount of metal on the terminations of each cable.

For the analogue connection a Chord Chameleon with VEE3 plugs will do you well for about £120/m and speaker cable. Yes a heavy gage cable will work better and a shielded heavy gage cable will be better still. For your mains cable I suggest Isotek Premium. You may think why spend £80 or more on a mains cable but until you go and have a listen to the difference they make you won't know.

As I said. Only you can make up your mind. All of us have different views and can hear/not hear different things so only your ears will give you the answer to which cables are best.

Good luck and have fun listening at the shop. Feel free to take your source (DMP-BDT500) to the shop if they don't have one so you here the cables on your own system. They may even lend you some for a small fee that should get refunded once you take the cables back.

The Cable Madman. :)

TrevC

Glacialpath said:
Hi d_golly.

It seems the guys who have answered your question don't believe in cables making a difference, either that or they have read to many cable arguments in forums. I say differently. But you should go to a dealer and listen for yourself as in my opinion they can make or break an audio system. It's all to do with shielding on the cables and how well they keep out interference. I have been upgrading the cables, Interconnects both digital and analogue and the mains cables. I confess to only having a relatively cheap speaker cable by Cambridge Audio on my Hi-Fi but its holding up ok for now but the rest of the upgrades have made a huge audible difference.

Most of the harshness has gone, there is audibly more headroom and the bass is tighter and more defined.

From your source to your DAC I recomend a Chord Company Prodac £40-£50 with the VEE3 plugs on the end. You want the least amount of metal on the terminations of each cable.

For the analogue connection a Chord Chameleon with VEE3 plugs will do you well for about £120/m and speaker cable. Yes a heavy gage cable will work better and a shielded heavy gage cable will be better still. For your mains cable I suggest Isotek Premium. You may think why spend £80 or more on a mains cable but until you go and have a listen to the difference they make you won't know.

As I said. Only you can make up your mind. All of us have different views and can hear/not hear different things so only your ears will give you the answer to which cables are best.

Good luck and have fun listening at the shop. Feel free to take your source (DMP-BDT500) to the shop if they don't have one so you here the cables on your own system. They may even lend you some for a small fee that should get refunded once you take the cables back.

The Cable Madman. :)

Same old nonsense.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I got this Freddy.

As speaker cable I'd suggest the same thing Quad uses for their presentations. The orange power cord from Black & Decker!

Now run!

running2_zps2298652e.gif

Quad got this horribly wrong.

The correct cable should be black. All the speaker cables on our live sound systems used black mains cable, the orange stuff was reserved for power leads.

Only 1.5mm sq/13 amp though, worked very well. We did have some of this to hand however,

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hookup-equipment-wire/2201340/

35mm sq/148 amp, nearly 15mm diameter, seriously, we used this all the time, the system was useless without it....... :doh:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You may be right. I remember reading about it but not in full details. They probably used the orange for mains and black for speakers.

John Duncan

I have black ones, green ones and white ones. The black ones and green ones are fine hidden behind the components, but I prefer the white ones running round the skirting board as they're less noticeable.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I went down the basement and got a 20 year old extension cord that was used for my lawn mower, welding, and what not. It has 3 stems, 50 strands each, made from tinned copper. I cut in half, didn't even terminate it and connected the bare wires to my speakers, replacing the Audioquest Type 4. The sound is the same to my ears, I hear no difference except I feel I got deeper bass but not sure (windows shaking happily), after 30 min of listening I already don't rememeber if I had less bass.

So yeah... cablez.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I went down the basement and got a 20 year old extension cord that was used for my lawn mower, welding, and what not. It has 3 stems, 50 strands each, made from tinned copper. I cut in half, didn't even terminate it and connected the bare wires to my speakers, replacing the Audioquest Type 4. The sound is the same to my ears, I hear no difference except I feel I got deeper bass but not sure (windows shaking happily), after 30 min of listening I already don't rememeber if I had less bass.

So yeah... cablez.

If you want real welding cable look at the link in my earlier thread.

We used a whole 25m drum to make a 12m 'twinned pair' and yes, it did make the system much, much better.

Care to hazard a guess as to how?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

So yeah... cablez.

We used a whole 25m drum to make a 12m 'twinned pair' and yes, it did make the system much, much better.

The sound was so bright it gave you 'arc eye'? :grin:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Please do tell, I'm currious. ANything to do with more current traveling on more strands?

BTW this wasn't a welding cable, just extension cord rendering my "audiophile" Audioquest cable pointless. I can only fit 14AWG wire in the amps terminals. So... that baby arm thick welding cable in my garage is not useful....

or is it?....
plotting.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:

So yeah... cablez.

The sound was so bright it gave you 'arc eye'? :grin:

Actually, if anything it saved us from such horrors.

In a live concert scenario you can not just plug your multi thousand watt PA into a couple of mains sockets, not enough power for one, and even if there was you were never quite sure that everything was on the same phase. Imagine what might happen if the PA, say, was on one phase and the backline on another. Several musicians have been electricuted onstage, this kind of error is a probable cause.

Any serious PA rig will have a mains distribution system that powers everything, outputs for PA, monitor system, back line and often forgotten the FOH mixer. The stage and FOH power could easily be on separate phases, you never, ever plug the FOH mixer in to a handy mains socket close to the mixing position.

The mains distribution is connected to the main power supply to the building, usually one phase is reserved for it and supplies all the power to the sound rig, and in our systems had output for the lighting too.

All the power went through those cables, hence their 140 amp rating.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
LSD colored.

trippyy.jpeg

I am old enough to have experienced Joshua Light show with the Dead, and the Liquid Light shows produced for Syd Barretts Pink Floyd.

This does not phase me one bit.

I was of course a babe in arms on both ocassions........ ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts