If you were starting from scratch what is your preferred set up under £5K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 201267

I wonder if you missed his many posts on here (and elsewhere).
He was the quest bloke and the forum was lets say "lively" when he was present !

The video linked underlines my point though that actives would be my choice with Pro-audio products being on the audition list.

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Mine would be probably be a Hegel amp and Amphion speaker combo.

I heard this setup at UK audio show year before last with Argon 1 speakers (c£1200) and it was deeply impressive... So much so I returned to the room three times. This system was in this price ballpark (less the TT), yet was the standout of the day for me, despite the fact there were some mega-money systems there.

That would be a much simpler, but great sounding system I'd be happy to grace my living room with.

Edit: if in this scenario I wasn't confined to £5k I'd probably go up the range of Amphion.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Actives punch well above their weight if correctly designed.

If not ATC there are plenty at the £2k mark that would work well.

Models such as the excellent AVI DM10'S, when available, were great value for money but dont rule out pro-audio offerings that don't do the mainstream hi-fi ********...

Check this video out as an example. This bloke is so confident in this pro-audio product that he has even invited people to visit him to have a listen !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Z9NMPKu5M

I have the little brother Adam T5V, I love you can sit close to them. These speakers are the closest you're going to get to headphones.

These are also worth considering...

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=hem5Vh_k55Y&feature=share

No Quest was another individual. Ellis DJ was this members moniker.
I had to check to be sure, but…

Simon Price runs 13th Note Hifi reviews. He was Quest for the 13th note (I think). Banned from numerous places iirc.​

Terry Ellis runs PursuitPerfectSystem. He was EllisDJ.​

The trouble is, there are too many flippin’ YouTube reviewers, and most of them pad their monologues interminably. Some are good though. Maybe we should begin a chart of the best?!

D

Deleted member 201267

I had to check to be sure, but…

Simon Price runs 13th Note Hifi reviews. He was Quest for the 13th note (I think). Banned from numerous places iirc.​

Terry Ellis runs PursuitPerfectSystem. He was EllisDJ.​

The trouble is, there are too many flippin’ YouTube reviewers, and most of them pad their monologues interminably. Some are good though. Maybe we should begin a chart of the best?!
To many Youtube wannabes in all subjects...

To many Youtube wannabes in all subjects...
But I can understand the appeal (to them as publishers, or whatever they’re called), as they’ve seen folks rake in the advertising revenues. But I’m sure it takes a lot of work, patience, and something to attract the punters. Darko is to me the slickest by some margin, but I don’t claim to have searched the whole market!

(It rarely occurs to me to search YouTube for facts, but my stepchildren look at it for almost anything, from changing a car tyre to travelling in a strange city. Amazing!)

Friesiansam

to travelling in a strange city
One thing I do do with YouTube, is watch travel videos, mainly train journeys filmed from the cab but, also tram journeys in major cities. Started after reading an article on the BBC News website, during the first Civid lockdown. Watched dozens and dozens now, all over the world. Seen so many places I will never get to visit.

Here’s an example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM2sYLSMeQo

matthewpianist

Interesting question...

I'm not sure I could actually be bothered to do anything. £5k is a lot of money and could do a lot of good elsewhere in our life. I already have a very good system.

If I did do something I would probably keep it simple. NAD M10 with GoldenEar BRX. Audiolab 6000CDT. I'd probably do away with vinyl and substantially reduce the size of my CD collection to have less clutter in the house.

I may even aim to do this if the opportunity arises - de-clutter, enjoy the music, focus on other financial priorities and spend time with my soon-to-be wife and our family, elderly parents, my sister and her girlfriend, and close friends. I'm not having a mid-life crisis, more a reality check instead.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Interesting question...

I'm not sure I could actually be bothered to do anything. £5k is a lot of money and could do a lot of good elsewhere in our life. I already have a very good system.

If I did do something I would probably keep it simple. NAD M10 with GoldenEar BRX. Audiolab 6000CDT. I'd probably do away with vinyl and substantially reduce the size of my CD collection to have less clutter in the house.

I may even aim to do this if the opportunity arises - de-clutter, enjoy the music, focus on other financial priorities and spend time with my soon-to-be wife and our family, elderly parents, my sister and her girlfriend, and close friends. I'm not having a mid-life crisis, more a reality check instead.
Sometimes you need take stock of what is really important. Hi-Fi for me, is my guilty pleasure, it shouldn't be your universe because one must not ever forget, we must first learn to enjoy life.
Oh the very best from a stranger and congrats on your marriage :)

Reactions: matthewpianist

gasolin

Denon PMA-1700NE Integrated Amplifier with DCD-1700NE CD/SACD Player BLACK £2,099.90

Just a 300-400 euro pound turntable from project or rega + a cheap TT shelf

Speakers

Dynaudio evoke 10 or 20, step above my emit m10

£1300 or £1900

Isoacoustics stands for, a desk cables could be inakustik or qed £500 or more for cable will get you something pretty good

I could change the amp to the bigger Denon PMA-2500NE for about £2000

Dynaudio emit 20 for £600 or the evoke 10 for £1300, Denon DCD-900NE cdplayer for £400 and a turntabel also for £400

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts