£5k, starting fresh with a complete new system. What would you do?

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hypothetically, you have £5k to burn on a completely new (or S/H items if you prefer) stereo system. What would your choices of equipment be and why? (Including stands, cables, plinths etc)

The reason I ask is because I'm seriously considering doing this. If all goes well, I should have the finances by the end of the year and I'm interested to see the various options that you lovely folk come up with.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I think people will want some info about

(a) sources: vinyl, CD, streaming services etc?

(b) room size and speaker format preference?

:cheers:

Matt

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I purposely didn't include those details as I wanted to make it less specific to myself to further broaden peoples responses. That and I'll have moved by then but currently don't know where to so room conditions can't be listed. As for source, that's your decision again. Naturally, if you already own a computer then you could use that but CDP's, TT's etc would need to be included in the budget.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Speakers (s/h): Sonus Faber Electa Amator

Amplifier (s/h): Accuphase E-260

DAC: Meridian Explorer

Cables: Vertere Pulse

electaamator.JPG

e-260.jpg

Meridian_Explorer9.jpg

Vertere_Pulse-C_spkr.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cyrus Lyric and the best £1k standmount I can find.

The rest goes on a Giant Defy Advanced 2.

Alternatively perhaps a pair of AVI ADM's and a lovely shiney Pinarello Dogma.

I am a well balanced individual.

regards

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Active monitors of your choice ( check this thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-active-speakers-club ) decent preamp with DAC ( Audiolab M-Dac, Benchmark, Cyrus - I would check s/h market), if TT then Rega RP... with Rega phono..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:

Vertere_Pulse-C_spkr.jpg

Lovely system

BTW. To what extent have you heard Vertere cables......did you think they made a difference?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

Vertere_Pulse-C_spkr.jpg

Lovely system

BTW. To what extent have you heard Vertere cables......did you think they made a difference?

Me and couple forum mates made DIY clones from stuff laying around and the results are stunning compared to our branded stuff. Touraj is a masterful at his craft.

Butchered some bathroom hosing, extension cord, telephone wire and 2 different types of CAT5 wires I had from WLAN. Really easy geometry to replicate. No idea how the original impacts though.

vertere_Pulse-X.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread with cable stuff. Carry on.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I had my eye on the Beolab 20s, but they're a bit pricey.

Maybe a Linn network player, Luxman L-507u and some Sonus Faber speakers. Which ones exactly would probably depend on what I can pick up at what prices 2nd hand.

Either that or Benchmark DAC or Linn Sneaky DS running into the best active speakers I could afford with the remaining funds.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A pair of second hand PMC AML1 active speakers ( or AML2 if within budget ) with dedicated PMC stands about £3000 , a second hand Electrocompaniet EMC1 or EMC1UP Cd player around £1500.

A simple balanced preamp with maplin balanced XLR interconnects, cheap well made mains cables, and a simple strong wall shelf for the EMC1 , £ 500 . :)

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd guess I'd go for:

Well Tempered Simplex+Nagaoka MP110 (£1630ish)

Naim NAC-N172XS (£1650)

Naim NAP100 (£650)

Focal Aria 906B (£900)

and spend the rest on some Tellurium Q cables

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
For a source, I'd use an old PC running JRiver, with JRemote on an iDevice. A modestly priced DAC will be fine: at most a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC.

For speakers, I'd want to try some panels: Maggie MG1.7s (if space allows) or Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs. I'd add a BK sub to the Maggies.

If panel speakers don't float your boat, then I'd try some old Sonus fabers (as already suggested) or some Audiovectors (very different presentation!) or Harbeths or ATCs. These four cover quite a range of different tastes. Suck and see.

I'd buy a second-hand amp, without a doubt. There's a Lavardin IS at Fanthorpe's just now: a classic. If you can find a reasonably priced s/h Luxman or Accuphase, you'll be lucky. Who knows?

Also worth trying some active speakers from Genelec, Adam or Event. £5K buys a lot of active speaker.

But out of all these my preference would be the panel speakers.

:cheers:

Matt

Would be tempted to get a Naim Unitilite with a pair of Guru Juniors (c £2500) and add a Linn LP12 Majik or Michell Gyrodec for the records. Plus a used Nakamichi or Yamaha deck for a few cassettes I still have.

However, patiently shopping used I could probably get a used Krell integrated and CD for around £1000 - £1500 apiece (newer than my current gear!) and then could choose any speakers from KEF LS50 onwards, though would probably lean towards Sonus faber again, but standmounters this time as we've downsized living space. Would have to have a TT and cassette machine though. Less bothered by cables than once, I'd nevertheless incline towards Chord or something middle of the road, though I'm sure someone will soon be saying they make zip (geddit?) difference!

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:

regards

Kudos X2, Specialized Roubaix SL4, whichever Naim Uniti fits the bill

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Oppo103

Apple TV

iPad mini

Western Digital My Cloud

ADM9RSS

ADM Sub

Plenty left over for a vinyl setup and/or lots of music.

The above should allow you to browse and play back just about every conceivable and relevant media from the comfort of your seat. I didn't include stands, as they will need to be chosen depending on furniture. Additional cables are irrelevant as the supplied ones more than adequate.

Basically, a multi media streaming system plus vinyl capability.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nima said:
drummerman said:

regards

Kudos X2, Specialized Roubaix SL4, whichever Naim Uniti fits the bill

I can see that working too

regards

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I would still choose the beolab 9 + play streamer if I had to stay under 5000. When funds allow the new beolab 20's.

Why? After 1,5 year of owning them there has not been a single regret. Lovely sound will all sources. Very natural sound with voices, sparkly top end, great bass. All in a speaker that's not even a 80 cm high.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Starting with the speakers, which is as good a place as any to start.

I'd be tempted by these MBL 100 Radialstrahlers as I've not tried any speakers like these:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MBL-100-HighEnd-Lautsprecher-Radialstrahler-MBL-4021-HighEnd-Equalizer-SELTEN-/291161385237?pt=DE_Lautsprecher_Martin&hash=item43ca922915

Or I might go the PA route. 18" drivers in these. Nice.

$(KGrHqRHJCoFJlO3PCfjBSdfDgY1!Q~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-loaded-SPEAKER-CABS-/131200597402?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speakers_Monitor&hash=item1e8c2a3d9a

Or a pair of classic Altec horn hybrids:

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTEC-MODEL-19-Studio-Monitors-/251547902808?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a916c6358

I'd also like to try one of the more modern line array touring PA systems some day:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EV-XLC-127DVX-XLC215-Line-Array-Speakers-W-fly-Bars-dollys-face-plate-wires-/390852158111?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item5b009aa29f

I'm not really into boring run of the mill speakers.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
AlbaBrown said:
I'd guess I'd go for:

Well Tempered Simplex+Nagaoka MP110 (£1630ish)

Naim NAC-N172XS (£1650)

Naim NAP100 (£650)

Focal Aria 906B (£900)

and spend the rest on some Tellurium Q cables

+1 for the Tellurium Q cables :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts