£5k, starting fresh with a complete new system. What would you do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter, of course I've not heard anything that I would go out and buy if I had £5k and were starting again. That's the whole point. Try something different. You only live once.

If I had to get rid of a load of stuff, leaving me with only £5k's worth of equipment, would you like to know which items I'd keep?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Covenanter, of course I've not heard anything that I would go out and buy if I had £5k and were starting again. That's the whole point. Try something different. You only live once.

If I had to get rid of a load of stuff, leaving me with only £5k's worth of equipment, would you like to know which items I'd keep?

I did! So what's your point? If you haven't done it you have no opinion worth listening to!

I have done it. My argument may be wrong but at least I'm not making it up by selecting sexy kit that I've never heard!

Get real guys!

Chris

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:
To be controversial - I suspect most of the posters here are just posting stuff that they have not heard and have selected simply on the basis of obscurity. Discuss!

Chris

You are now a witness as to how good the R700s are. :p

Indeed I think they are fabulous and I am pleased to observe that we are ad idem on this. I will shortly post a report on my experience with my new system (I have been delayed as my OU course has been completing, exam this afternoon, and I needed to concentrate on that). My concern is that many posters to this thread (and indeed this CB) haven't really experienced the kit they recommend. I know you have heard a lot of stuff and trust your opinions (although I think you are flaky on cables etc lol). My experience is limited but within what I have heard I think it is reliable (I would say that!).

Chris
For me it is a mixture of stuff I've heard and stuff I'd like to audition if I had the budget. When I bought my current kit, first I made a list of things I was interested in, then I auditioned, then I purchased. The same pattern would apply here.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
lindsayt said:

I did! So what's your point? If you haven't done it you have no opinion worth listening to!

I have done it. My argument may be wrong but at least I'm not making it up by selecting sexy kit that I've never heard!

Get real guys!

Chris

it's just a bit of fun - lighten up!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Devialet SAM processing? Speaker Active Matching technology. Is it active amplification? No it isn't. Is it in-room response treatment? No it isn't. Is it EQ presets for different speaker models regardless of room, rest of the system and listening preference? Bingo!

Idea invented by a marketing mind, not an engineer. They successfully reinvented hot water. Devialet Ensamble compared to truly active Meridian system IMO is absolute foo. Looks good on brochures and marketing campaigns though.

resizedimage449369-SAM-badge.png

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sublime, I don't understand why Covenanter has got a bee in his bonnet about me saying that I would buy stuff I've never heard before?

For me, my approach to buying hi-fi, where I audition it after I've bought it is all about having fun. Trying stuff that is completely off the radar for most buyers. Finding stuff that is more fun and enjoyable to listen to than what I've had before, without paying through the nose for it.

These leaps of faith for me are all about the balance of probabilities. The following speakers are all fine for what they are:

Sonus Faber Electa Amator
Kef R700
AVI ADM
PMC AML1
PMC AML2
Focal Aria 906B
Guru Junior
KEF LS50
Kudos X2
Audiosmile Kensai

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone buying them and enjoying them for what they are.

But Covenanter, on the balance of probabilities, what do you think is more likely to sound better at generous volumes for playing rock music in my large room? Any of the speakers from the list above, or a pair of EV XLC 127DVX /XLC215 PA stacks? I know where my money would be.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
As per my hi fi set up. I've added an ATV to the TV room. I can rip CDs using my MBA & SuperDrive to upload to iTunes Match (don't want a NAS)

Got a bdp but never played a cd on it. So it would be :

Mac / PC (for ripping)

ATV (iTunes Match)

Sonos (multi room spotify)

AVI ADM9RS & sub.

Nowhere near £5k

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
If I was buying it would be a clean and simple job, meridian audio core 200 and dsp3200 speakers or a pair of beolab 9s with a dac that's got a built in pre amp.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Kef R700
AVI ADM
PMC AML1
PMC AML2
Focal Aria 906B
Guru Junior
KEF LS50
Kudos X2
Audiosmile Kensai

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone buying them and enjoying them for what they are.

But Covenanter, on the balance of probabilities, what do you think is more likely to sound better at generous volumes for playing rock music in my large room? Any of the speakers from the list above, or a pair of EV XLC 127DVX /XLC215 PA stacks? I know where my money would be.

I've no idea because I haven't heard them! What I would do is go and audition them.

Chris

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am certainly going to have to hold my hand up and say I haven't heard the Chord Hugo or Oppo PM-1 although in fairness I did say they were new products I would like to investigate. In the mean time I have transferred my thinking to how I would start my AV system in the lounge from scratch, and I am a little uncomfortable to say I have come up with three products I have never heard or seen.

I like my current set up - Sony electronics (Blu Ray & multi channel amp) and QUAD speakers (bi-amped 11L2 fronts, L-ite sub, surrounds and centre, though with the centre currently in the cupboard and the rest in a 4.1 configuration with phantom centre) and I have no plans to change it.

But if I were to start from scratch I would be seriously tempted to skip the wires, boxes, enormous amp ... So I think I would go for a new projector - I need one any way as mine is in probably permanent retirement - the £1850 Sony VPL-HW40ES looks ideal, driven by an Oppo 103 blu ray player which I would wall mount just below the projector and use it's HDMI input to pass my YouView box through. And for audio I would go for a pair of wireless Dunaudio Xeo 5 floorstanders, which again I haven't heard but would be tempted to buy without auditioning on wireless connectivity alone.

@ Chris, I have heard everything I posted, and that's why I would be happy to live with it. It would be very adventurous to choose used gear, or be bold like Lindsayt and go for something completely different and unknown.

I guess I was suggesting a 'keeper' system, something that would last me a decade or two. And, despite my somewhat love:hate feeling towards Linn, I'm sure an LP12 will still be worth what I paid for it in ten or more years time (my '86 model having sold for three times its RRP last year).

T

the record spot

Why on earth is there some kind of proviso you need to have heard everything you might like to buy? What a bizarre concept. I've no problem in reviews and other user opinions being my guides and then buying in the back of that. I did that with my amp and that approach worked a treat.

The Audiosmile speakers would be in my shortlist and enjoyed some very good and positive reviews a few years back. Lovely finish too.

On the other hand, regarding this notion I should've heard the stuff first, I'll stick with my current setup then. That clocks in at about £4.5k worth.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd be tempted to try out a NaimUniti 2 with some little Harbeth P3ESRs.

Leaves just enough change (I think) for a max'ed out iPad Mini Retina 128GB (Wi-fi only) and an ATV3.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Those Audiosmile speakers are like refined and improved Jamo CONCERT 8 (D830). They have the same box size and SEAS Excel woofer. The Jamo's were absolutely epic.

DSC00260.JPG

T

the record spot

Yep, though the Kensai comes with a ribbon tweeter. The Jamo pair looks good though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
lindsayt said:
Kef R700
AVI ADM
PMC AML1
PMC AML2
Focal Aria 906B
Guru Junior
KEF LS50
Kudos X2
Audiosmile Kensai

I've no idea because I haven't heard them! What I would do is go and audition them.

Chris
Chris, just because you have no idea because you haven't heard them, doesn't mean to say that I have no idea because I haven't heard them.

How would you get to audition any of the speakers on my list in this thread without buying them first?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Covenanter said:
lindsayt said:
Kef R700
AVI ADM
PMC AML1
PMC AML2
Focal Aria 906B
Guru Junior
KEF LS50
Kudos X2
Audiosmile Kensai

Chris
Chris, just because you have no idea because you haven't heard them, doesn't mean to say that I have no idea because I haven't heard them.

How would you get to audition any of the speakers on my list in this thread without buying them first?

If I couldn't audition them I wouldn't buy them!

Chris

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
The way and speed at which technology is progressing, I'd buy the cheapest Sony Blu-ray player available and plug it into a cheap second hand integrated amp with any small bookshelf speakers. I'd forget vinyl as it is way too costly to do right and to buy the second rate modern vinyl today. I'd then go on a long holiday with the money saved, safe in the knowledge that when I return it not only doesn't matter how much my equipment is outdated but I'd probably still also be able to sell it to an "average" person anyway. Let's be honest most 'sensible' people would think that buying a purpose built CD / DVD player is silly today when a BD player does it all. From my experience there is little hunger for second hand equipment either. Some of the expensive kit just can't be worth it anymore? It's not like the old days when analogue advances took years and weall knew that those "upgraded" items were barely tweaked versions of what we already had. Today it is far scarier and easier to make costly errors.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
steve4232 said:
The way and speed at which technology is progressing, I'd buy the cheapest Sony Blu-ray player available and plug it into a cheap second hand integrated amp with any small bookshelf speakers. I'd forget vinyl as it is way too costly to do right and to buy the second rate modern vinyl today. I'd then go on a long holiday with the money saved, safe in the knowledge that when I return it not only doesn't matter how much my equipment is outdated but I'd probably still also be able to sell it to an "average" person anyway. Let's be honest most 'sensible' people would think that buying a purpose built CD / DVD player is silly today when a BD player does it all. From my experience there is little hunger for second hand equipment either. Some of the expensive kit just can't be worth it anymore? It's not like the old days when analogue advances took years and weall knew that those "upgraded" items were barely tweaked versions of what we already had. Today it is far scarier and easier to make costly errors.

I'm sure if you sold your current kit and got a second hand set-up as you describe for say £150, you'd have a fine budget for a pleasant holiday left!

Enjoy! :cheers:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Chris
Chris, if you are single, or when you were single, would you never walk up to a girl that looked interesting and introduce yourself to her?

Workwise, if you saw a good business opportunity, would you never start your own business?

If you saw a great job that was in a city 200 miles away would you never apply for it?

Risk. Stepping into the unkown. Sometimes in life, the potential benefits by far outweigh the risks.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Covenanter said:

Chris
Chris, if you are single, or when you were single, would you never walk up to a girl that looked interesting and introduce yourself to her?

Workwise, if you saw a good business opportunity, would you never start your own business?

If you saw a great job that was in a city 200 miles away would you never apply for it?

Risk. Stepping into the unkown. Sometimes in life, the potential benefits by far outweigh the risks.

To be frank I don't see the parallel! I've done all those things but they were based on calculation (ok not the girls one!). If you can audition kit you should audition it. Just punting seems very silly to me.

Chris

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Yep, though the Kensai comes with a ribbon tweeter. The Jamo pair looks good though.

i have heard the Kensais and they are lovely speakers, albeit sub miniatures and lacking in the extension available from bigger speakers - in my case, in my room at any rate, this would be an advantage. They use a planar magnetic tweeter by the way. They are as insensitive as you would expect though - 83db - and balanced towards the bright / forward side, so need a smooth, powerful amp. A Creek Destiny 2, as I suggested above ... Or if money were no object something from Karan would work well I would have thought, though I have never heard the combination and don't know where one might!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:

I think you are forgetting how knowledgeable you are compared to someone with less experience, where the chances of buying a lemon a high.

BTW. I think your analogies are pretty terrible. :shifty: :p

You do not pick your hifi through pheromones, or be interviewed by it, or will it provide you with a regular income. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS