What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
stevebrock said:
Miles Davis - Sketches from Spain 180g mono pressing

Nice album. Mono eh? I don't think I have any mono recordings left in my collection.

I've just ordered Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' 2x180gm pressings by Sundazed, so not actually listening to it ...... yet.

PS If you have not already looked Google Thee Absolute Sound 'Guide to Vinyl Playback'. Its a .pdf flie and towards the end there is a listing of what they consider to be some of the best album recordings to date. I find it quite handy if looking for something new.

Well I didnt realise it was a mono recording until I saw it on the back of the sleeve! It is the Muisc on Vinyl 180g pressing brand new.

Thanks for the link, always good to know about good recordings

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A little bit more Graham Parker tonight..

41Vch2pM6rL.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
Its on my list - Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Classical/Soundtrack/Jazz

It's not to everyone's taste, and jazz purist probably hate it, but to me, it's right up there.

I'll be seeking out a perfect copy though, as mine has a few too many pops for my liking.

And as I thought, "Water Babies" was off the turntable very soon after my wife returned to the room, where in contrast, she quite liked "Sketches of Spain", especially the opening "Concierto de Aranjuez".

Sketches is one of the albums my Dad and I can both enjoy. He's from a classical, non-rock background and I'm not. But we both love this.

I'm streaming it from my Mac, as my turntable is still in storage. The builders are finished bar one small window to install upstairs. Then it's just four large rooms to paint, three floors to lay and one kitchen to fit.

Oh and an AGA cooker to move from the front lounge into the kitchen. Easy!!'

August?
wink.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
stevebrock said:
Its on my list - Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Classical/Soundtrack/Jazz

It's not to everyone's taste, and jazz purist probably hate it, but to me, it's right up there.

I'll be seeking out a perfect copy though, as mine has a few too many pops for my liking.

And as I thought, "Water Babies" was off the turntable very soon after my wife returned to the room, where in contrast, she quite liked "Sketches of Spain", especially the opening "Concierto de Aranjuez".

Sketches is one of the albums my Dad and I can both enjoy. He's from a classical, non-rock background and I'm not. But we both love this.

I'm streaming it from my Mac, as my turntable is still in storage. The builders are finished bar one small window to install upstairs. Then it's just four large rooms to paint, three floors to lay and one kitchen to fit.

Oh and an AGA cooker to move from the front lounge into the kitchen. Easy!!'

August?
wink.gif

Yep, more than likely.

There's a week gap now before Aga move and the first floor going down, so I've set up a temporary version of my hi-fi (speakers, amp, DAC, no deck) as I'm the only one living here. It hasn't been played for months and sounds terrible. No curtains, only remnants of former furnishings so sound is less than fullsome but its better than iPod/headphones combo. Just.

A

Anonymous

stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Eva Cassidy - Songbird 180g

MY BEST SOUNDING LP !!!

Not far behind comes Diana Krall LPs from Verve.

I might have to get that!

Listening to:

Abba - The Movie (from my parents record collection)

yeah yeah don't be ashamed of ABBA

A

Anonymous

Listened to Thelonious Monk Underground (180grm)

before coming to work, brill

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Eva Cassidy - Songbird 180g

MY BEST SOUNDING LP !!!

Not far behind comes Diana Krall LPs from Verve.

I might have to get that!

Listening to:

Abba - The Movie (from my parents record collection)

Please DO! You can order it from the US, I can not order records from the US... Is outside the UE i've to pay brutal taxes charges, sometimes the more than the double of the item! :help:

But you from the UK can order from the US whithought extra taxes can you? Inside the commonwealth you don't pay extra taxes do you?

:cheers:

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

Please DO! You can order it from the US, I can not order records from the US... Is outside the UE i've to pay brutal taxes charges, sometimes the more than the double of the item! :help:

But you from the UK can order from the US whithought extra taxes can you? Inside the commonwealth you don't pay extra taxes do you?

[/quote]

No we pay taxes 20% vat plus extortionate post office handling fee on anything over£15 (unless its a gift :roll:)

USA not part of the commonwealth, they went there seperate way in 1776 ironically something to do

with taxes.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

[/quote]

No we pay taxes 20% vat plus extortionate post office handling fee on anything over£15 (unless its a gift :roll:)

USA not part of the commonwealth, they went there seperate way in 1776 ironically something to do

with taxes.

[/quote]

yes of course, and tea... ;) but I thought that between US and UK there were no trade taxes...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've just paid £70 in customs charges to get three work documents into Canada - and that's Commonwealth!

I think they just make up a figure and you're stuffed if you don't pay it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts