What is your experience of online hifi stores and which ones ship internationally?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear All

As I have a growing interest in hifi fidelity and I live in Cyprus, I do not have a lot of options when it comes to audio products, let alone auditioning them. That is why I find such forums quite helpful.... I know that 99.9% of you would say to hear everything before buying :hand:

unfortunately this is not often the case...

As I am planning in buing a new HIFI system (speakers, amp, pre, stramer etc) I would like to know from all of you, from your experience, which ONLINE sites you trust and are happy and which (if you know) post internationnaly.....

Hope you wil lhelp me continue and expand my passion for fidelity... :pray: and enjoy it as much as you can!!!! :dance:

matthewpiano

A lot of brands can't be shipped internationally (or even within the same country) due to restrictions imposed by manufacturers.

The best online sites I have used are Superfi, Peter Tyson, and Audio Express (Creative Audio in Shrewsbury) but i'm not sure what the shipping situation is.

A

Anonymous

I am also a newbie

I have recently bought an amp from Car Audio Centre in the UK and a couple of floorstander speakers from Home AV Direct in the UK too. Their delivery fees to my country (Belgium) were relatively low (15-20 pound) for such relatively heavy items and they arrived quickly and in good condition.

I do not know if my 2 items experience is sufficiently significant but I would recommend any of these two sellers. Home AV direct seems to have a good range of equipment too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
In the past I have bought stuff from Lintone Audio in Gateshead. Both new (my current amp), and ex.demo (a pair of Quad 12L2 speakers) and they were perfectly fine. Prompt despatch, goods exactly as described etc. I'm sure they advertised European shipping rates in their Ebay ads.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Analogue Seduction is pretty good with international shipping and holds some good selection of hi-fi. Had good expereince with them before.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I buy all hardware locally for warranty reasons but get most of my cables, interconnects, room tuning devices, etc either from Music Direct or The Cable Company. No problems with either.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a very positive experience with Audio Affair shipping me some ProAc speakers to France. I ordered the D18s, wasn't sure about them, so they sent me a pair of of D28s to compare together. I then decided on the cheaper D18s and sent back the D28s - they were completely cheerful and supportive. Best of all, FedEx damaged the D28s when I returned them, but it affected me not one bit. I was credited for the return, and the vendor worked it out with FedEx - no further intervention on my part. I really couldn't ask for more.

They can't ship everything out of the UK, but they can ship quite a bit of really solid gear to the EU/Cypruss. Highly recommended.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Audio Affair, Divine Audio, Quantum AV.

For cables: Futureshop, Hificables

If you are not in the EU, make sure they remove the VAT....

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I've a couple of pieces from PETER TYSON including my Marantz SR7005 and a Marantz UD7007 which I returned. Gotta say, excellent costumer service and I had no problems when I returned the BD player, full refund with no problems. Couldn't say if they ship over seas but I'd definitely recommend sending them an email to find out

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't speak highly enough for our (mine and Rob's) dealer Technology Factory in Antwerpen:

http://www.technologyfactory.eu

He has a lot of good material and brands (Arcam, Rega, Sonus Faber, Focal, Siltech and many many others)

Francis, the owner, is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy and he ships everywhere if there is not a distributor in the country. Over 1k euro shipping shipping fees are offered also ;)

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
hi

I live in continental Europe

I just purchased my A5 from Sevenoaks Exeter, UK. Dave was the sales person and really helpful. Apart from the excellent assistance they took care of delivery, packing etc. Speakers are ex demo but they arrived in perfect condition. Also, the quality was like new, I couldnt spot any sign of use at all. Highly recommended. I am very happy.

Future Shop delivered the cables. Same. No problems.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
bebelacus said:
hi

I live in continental Europe

I just purchased my A5 from Sevenoaks Exeter, UK. Dave was the sales person and really helpful. Apart from the excellent assistance they took care of delivery, packing etc. Speakers are ex demo but they arrived in perfect condition. Also, the quality was like new, I couldnt spot any sign of use at all. Highly recommended. I am very happy.

Future Shop delivered the cables. Same. No problems.

Thanks

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I suppose its nice to see people are 'naming and shaming' the shops that send out items that they should not be mail-ordering, or even selling abroad :rofl:

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but I'd also second the recommendation for Peter Tyson - when I purchased from them recently it was the best service I think I have ever experienced from any shop, with not only email notifications when the goods had arrived and been dispatched, but personal phone calls too, and even an excellent system link with the courier. Competative prices too, so I will definately have them at the top of my list if the stock what I want next.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but I'd also second the recommendation for Peter Tyson - when I purchased from them recently it was the best service I think I have ever experienced from any shop, with not only email notifications when the goods had arrived and been dispatched, but personal phone calls too, and even an excellent system link with the courier. Competative prices too, so I will definately have them at the top of my list if the stock what I want next.

|( I have tried the site but unfortunately they do notpost to Cyprus... :wall:

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I suppose its nice to see people are 'naming and shaming' the shops that send out items that they should not be mail-ordering, or even selling abroad :rofl:

I think you'll find it's illegal under EU laws to restrict sellers from selling to anywhere in the EU. Manufacturers might not like it, as it circumvents their retailers in the destination countries, and possibly higher profits, but that's the law.

As for restricting mail-order or even walk in the door and pay cash sales within the UK, that's illegal too, I believe. Imagine if I lived in, say, Wick, Scotland, and wanted a high-end amp. Should I have to drive or fly to Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow to buy one? If not, why shouldn't I phone the dealers in Aberdeen, Endinburgh and Glasgow to see who's going to give me the best deal, throw in a free set of interconnects or pay the Parcelfarce charges?

Manufacturers might not like it, and might even go as far as to cut off supplies to a retailer they don't "like" as a result, but the law is the law.

As for Cyprus, I suspect the legacies of the Civil War there might be the issue, e.g. half the Island being in the EU, the other half not.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is nothing illegal in it, but a lot of the manufacturers mentioned dont like their products being mail-ordered, so some of the shops mentioned may not want people advertising on a public forum that they have had stuff shipped here there and everywhere by them.....

And in your example, if you were buying a high end amp, I would want to hear it first, and it would sort of take the piss to send it back on DSR if you did not like it. But I see what you are getting at.

Its like when people buy cheap stuff from abroad, or ebay and then wonder why legitimate dealers are not as happy to help them out when it goes wrong. Thats the idea of using a local dealer, you are paying for the service.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Captain Duff said:

|( I have tried the site but unfortunately they do notpost to Cyprus... :wall:

Do you have anything in mind? Check the site of technology factory, I am sure Francis will ship everything to Cyprus also!

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
hoopsontoast said:

I think you'll find it's illegal under EU laws to restrict sellers from selling to anywhere in the EU. Manufacturers might not like it, as it circumvents their retailers in the destination countries, and possibly higher profits, but that's the law.

As for restricting mail-order or even walk in the door and pay cash sales within the UK, that's illegal too, I believe. Imagine if I lived in, say, Wick, Scotland, and wanted a high-end amp. Should I have to drive or fly to Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow to buy one? If not, why shouldn't I phone the dealers in Aberdeen, Endinburgh and Glasgow to see who's going to give me the best deal, throw in a free set of interconnects or pay the Parcelfarce charges?

Manufacturers might not like it, and might even go as far as to cut off supplies to a retailer they don't "like" as a result, but the law is the law.

I believe that manufactures have almost the same profit from all retailers.... its on retailers to decide on the price.... Therefore manufacturers shouldn't ne mind....

Unless big retailers put a lot of pressure and influence on manufactures which at the end of the day... consumers are the ones who are mostly hit by high prices, and expanding the time period where they change/upgrade their equipments....

P.S.: I can save 500 pounds from ordering speakers online (postage included) than buying from the dealer in Cyprus.... and I am talking of a total mear cost of 2000 pounds... now isn't that a ripp-off. I could buy a lot of 'other' stuff with 500 pounds....

As for Cyprus, I suspect the legacies of the Civil War there might be the issue, e.g. half the Island being in the EU, the other half not.

I just want to point out that we are talking about the legal republic of Cyprus which is under EU. The occupied site is not recognised by anyone. And i do not have any issues with other online retailers like AMAZON etc... The postage issues in that field are generally clear and known/respected by everyone.

Anyways saying that, as I live in Cyprus and I am used to ordering a lot of items online, hifi gear, and especially speakers are the ones that I find MOST DIFFICULT to order......

Is it so from your experience as well? Is it the shear size of them or is it something else....

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
dont bother and ignore the “legal" advices. as long as you live in EU there will be no problems. You may also live in a non EU country. No problem, again. The payment is always in advance via bank transfer. As soon as the dealer gets the confirmation from his bank he will ship the goods to your address of choice. So, as long as you pay the dealer will ship to wherever you live, be it Palestina, Fidji or a EU country. Of course, you always cover the shipping costs unless you leave in UK or in the country where the dealer is and they have a free ttansport policy.. You can also choose your favourite courier, subject to your pocket size. A premium courier, fast delivery, insurance etc. will cost you more.

For my Spendors i went for the cheapest and longest option. The dealer used UK Mail. I had no previous experience with them but I must say the babies arrived in excellent condition. The dealer also made sure and took extra caution by pampering them very well. After bank confirmation the speakers arrived in 2 weeks mainly because it was during Christmas, new year. Delivery was made on 2 January.

my best advice is to contact the dealer and ask what their shipping policy is, if yhey ship to Cyprus, if they ever did and if yesy if they encointered any trouble etc.

If you live in non EU then you will probably have to pay a custom fee. A simple question to custom can clarify this buy it is not your case.

as for the manufacturer not making a profit this is just silly. They dont bother as if the speaker is sold they made the profit. Of you dont have a Spendor dealer in your country what to do?

i have a spendor dealer bit they are a bit nasty and agressive plus they have no ex demo policy. So the guys from sevenoaks were just perfect. Apart from being good salesmen and professionals dont forget that your money are as good as anyone else's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts