Reliability of HiFi gear: rant ahoy

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

I don't see non payers as parasites. Spotify offer a free service to entice people onto the platform, in the hope that a few of them will ditch the ads and pay for their music. I think most companies are doing this. If they are losing money, then the current business model is flawed and needs reassessing. I think a drop of £1 to make the premium package less then that psychological £10 would bring a few more back and again just give 'snobs' like me a really high quality and still broad choice of music with the HIFI tier at £19.99 and rethink the whole thing.

I don't think the so called HiFi tier you seem to obsess over is going to even remotely change their fortunes.

It will result in significant increase in costs and only appeal to a small niche of users...

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

I don't think the so called HiFi tier you seem to obsess over is going to even remotely change their fortunes.

It will result in significant increase in costs and only appeal to a small niche of users...
Many people seem to need, or want the hi res packages with other companies. I think Spotify's fortunes would have improved, if they'd released a hi res tier before the competition and taken the first slice of the hi res pie. This and the fantastic UI and search engine would have secured more revenue and probably retained many customers, but they dilly dallied and Amazon, Apple, Tidal et al, beat them to this part of the streaming market. I agree and it's a shame really, but it's probably too late for their hi res tier to make an impression. It will take this and a reduction in price to lure people from other services and that might not happen now.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
These are consumer grade products so you'll always get some that fail not long out of warranty. I've got stuff made or assembled in China that's been going for years and most components are made in China so something may be assembled in the UK, Germany, the USA but a fair whack of the parts come from other parts of the world including China.

My iPad screen is on for about 16 hours a day every day and has been for around 7 years and it's permanently attached to its power cord sitting on a stand on my computer desk. Still works great. Still holds a charge.

My Hegel H160 is around 8 years old, is on for around 16 hours a day, every day since I bought it. Zero issues with it. Designed in Norway, assembled in China.

My Naim UnitiQute 2's OLED screen has gone but the unit itself still working fine and it's nearly 10 years old. I use the iPad for the Naim app or internet radio.

I had bad luck with a NAD CD player years ago.

Reactions: matthewpianist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts