What is the best way of keeping leads and cables tidy

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

On my Hi Fi Stand there are 8 boxes all need power. Add to that the various interconnects, Ethernet cables, and speaker cables the back of the stand looks a mess. I use a Hi Fi Racks akorner rack with the so called cable tidy attachment.

Should I try to keep the power cables away from the speaker cables and the interconnects?

Has anyone come up with a good solution for keeping this tidy and wife friendly?

Cheers

Keith

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Spagetti is essential to maintain the mystique of our irrational compulsion. A thread here a while back asked us to count our wires. Sad yes but how else to contrast & compare our loved systems? I have spare cables in many colours, thicknesses and lengths simply coiled up behind the rack to discourage dusting & vacuuming. Think of it as a home for small endangered species. DON'T use cable labels. This will make reconfiguration far too easy and will not take up enough time to avoid doing useful diy jobs around the home.

:)

A

Anonymous

Jerseys From China Many desktop readers allow subscribers to categorize and group their RSS feeds From Kentucky Louis, Alan shaw, at present is the Harvard Asian Quarterly (Harvard Asia Quarterly) Ed The article believed that, the Israeli prime minister netanyahu and more official for the United States and other western countries in the Iranian nuclear issue of the play was very angry, and might even didn't get the approval, the next few weeks to Iran unilaterally implementation blow24 measures" later, had two points to 221 economic cooperation trade enterprises with special loan form provides 56 3 NFL Jerseys Wholesale

Cheap NFL Nike Jerseys According to the western military expert evaluation, in the action process, Israeli aircraft in the air retention for four hours, flight 3900 kilometersAccording to Iran news television international "Press TV" on September 18 days of reports, Iran's supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei 18 during a visit to a military exhibition, called on Iran's armed forces to strengthen the defense ability, in order to protect Iran invasion" Group core members India, China, Brazil and South Africa consensus statement: "we believe the Kyoto protocol is still the core of international climate management system part, so through a can sign the agreement to the revision of the protocol from January 1, 2013, the second phase of the effective commitment, is the core issues of the doha meeting Although both these are regarded as reasonable but one must buy those bullions that are 100% pure because they feature more esteemed and also easily sellable superior quality Wholesale Jerseys

NFL Jerseys China " Zhang yimou will respond, miss Mr Answer ambiguity: "perhaps it will, perhaps it won't In the wealth management, this section is more suitable for "keep", not suitable for "attack" The most obvious evidence, is CCTV broadcast NBA event, from a peak season on Thursday, five field declined by half, future quantity nothing is also will decline Netizen "SongDongXian" message said, set fire to sacrifice the Japanese class a war criminals enshrined at architecture, should be awarded the medal, what sin have?Ghana military police shot a 16 years old Chinese young, caused the international media attentionRussian history and archaeology academy of sciences expert stanislav, Gerry gerben leif said: "the image at first glance appears to be white, in the green grass it seems to be under the background of glaring light Cheap NFL Jerseys Nike

Jerseys From China In short, in the political reform, improve people's lives and toward policy, two people do political commitment is similar The monthly rates vary from $146 billion yen (about 42 In the near Moscow sergiev parish, we see a crowded pilgrimage crowds and devout believers prayed silentlyTheir complaint some truth Wholesale NFL Jerseys

A

Anonymous

Jerseys From China Many desktop readers allow subscribers to categorize and group their RSS feeds From Kentucky Louis, Alan shaw, at present is the Harvard Asian Quarterly (Harvard Asia Quarterly) Ed The article believed that, the Israeli prime minister netanyahu and more official for the United States and other western countries in the Iranian nuclear issue of the play was very angry, and might even didn't get the approval, the next few weeks to Iran unilaterally implementation blow24 measures" later, had two points to 221 economic cooperation trade enterprises with special loan form provides 56 3 NFL Jerseys Wholesale

Cheap NFL Nike Jerseys According to the western military expert evaluation, in the action process, Israeli aircraft in the air retention for four hours, flight 3900 kilometersAccording to Iran news television international "Press TV" on September 18 days of reports, Iran's supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei 18 during a visit to a military exhibition, called on Iran's armed forces to strengthen the defense ability, in order to protect Iran invasion" Group core members India, China, Brazil and South Africa consensus statement: "we believe the Kyoto protocol is still the core of international climate management system part, so through a can sign the agreement to the revision of the protocol from January 1, 2013, the second phase of the effective commitment, is the core issues of the doha meeting Although both these are regarded as reasonable but one must buy those bullions that are 100% pure because they feature more esteemed and also easily sellable superior quality Wholesale Jerseys

NFL Jerseys China " Zhang yimou will respond, miss Mr Answer ambiguity: "perhaps it will, perhaps it won't In the wealth management, this section is more suitable for "keep", not suitable for "attack" The most obvious evidence, is CCTV broadcast NBA event, from a peak season on Thursday, five field declined by half, future quantity nothing is also will decline Netizen "SongDongXian" message said, set fire to sacrifice the Japanese class a war criminals enshrined at architecture, should be awarded the medal, what sin have?Ghana military police shot a 16 years old Chinese young, caused the international media attentionRussian history and archaeology academy of sciences expert stanislav, Gerry gerben leif said: "the image at first glance appears to be white, in the green grass it seems to be under the background of glaring light Cheap NFL Jerseys Nike

Jerseys From China In short, in the political reform, improve people's lives and toward policy, two people do political commitment is similar The monthly rates vary from $146 billion yen (about 42 In the near Moscow sergiev parish, we see a crowded pilgrimage crowds and devout believers prayed silentlyTheir complaint some truth Wholesale NFL Jerseys

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Robin... I'm not sure thats going to work with the missis.

Hi Fi is a funny hobby and as I keep on reminding the wife that yes it is an addiction but its significantly better than other addictions so in real terms putting up with a load of speakers and black boxes in the front room is a small price to pay. Although I dont think she quite realises how much it all costs ....

I am thinking I might construct something. What about getting 2 plastic tubes running out of sight behind the rear legs of the rack. Each tube can have a hole cut into it a the level of the shelve for the wires to go through. This way one can contain the HDMI / Audio cables and the other can contain the Power Cables. Thinking about it I could even make a third to go down the center to contain the speaker cables.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
The MK branded stuff is alot more expensive than I've seen elsewhere. I bought a transparent clear version years ago which looks alot more inconspicuous. I use it to keep cables tidy in some PCs I've built.

Search for 'cable tidy wrap' on eBay and you will find loads of it alot cheaper.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't have cable problems any more.

When I changed to an all-in-one system I had three less mains cables, one less 'wall wart' PSU, four less interconnects, and AirPlay removed the need for one 5m digital connection. Added to which, three less (unsightly) boxes.

My experience won't help the OP as - looking at his system - I doubt he would be tempted, even by a superior all-in-one like the SuperUniti. (Plus he has the whole AV thing going on as well.)

No, he is doomed to cable hell and, in thirty years, I have never seen an adequate solution to this problem.

Keeping all connections as short as possible helps but not much.

Bialykot

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Well the most wife friendly things I did were:

1) replace separate components by a wireless streaming solution

2) use active loudspeakers with inbuilt DACs and amps (won't mention the brand as it will start one of 'those' threads!)

3) purchase a Skovby hifi/TV stand unit which has an infrared repeater built in and therefore any remaining boxes are hidden away from view.

The room is wonderfully clutter and cable free now and the audio quality is sublime ....

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Bialykot said:
Well the most wife friendly things I did were:

1) replace separate components by a wireless streaming solution

2) use active loudspeakers with inbuilt DACs and amps (won't mention the brand as it will start one of 'those' threads!)

3) purchase a Skovby hifi/TV stand unit which has an infrared repeater built in and therefore any remaining boxes are hidden away from view.

The room is wonderfully clutter and cable free now and the audio quality is sublime ....

Those Skovby stands look really nice and would certainly match the style in our house. Would the AMP's not get to hot with the door closed?

The Cyrus has a wireless feature which I have not used as their recommended configuration was wired so I just figured that would be the best for sound quality.

I am happy with the overall performance of the system and on the nice oak stand most of the components have a ascetic quality its just the wires that kill it. I cant imagine the reply if I came home and said "I know how to tidy up the Hi Fi .... I'm going to buy a whole load of new Hi Fi .... "

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I understand the_lhc his cabinet has a window which he can control his equipment, whats not to understand ??

An IR repeater is for people who choose perhaps for aesthetic reasons to use units with solid doors. I don't see why anyone would compare them to windows unless perhaps The_Lhc had in mind claimed infrared glass.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
to add to the recommendations to go 'low-box' options (which is the best and radical solution):

- use shorter cables - e.g. instead of 1m interconnect use 0.5m, roll-up excessive cable lengths into coils and secure them with smth like the wire things that come with new cables or you can buy a dedicated velcro thingies. you can order custom lengths cables.

- get a multiplug extension lead and buy short IEC power cables (2-3 quid on ebay) and replace the long ones, plugging the short ones intot he multiplug. or if you are comfortable re-fitting a mains plug, shorten you power cables and re-fit the plugs.

- do not worry about coiling the cables or having signal cables close to power cables - you will not notice any difference.

- in terms of tidies I find the best one is a mesh sleeve (see my system thread for a pic). cheap and tidy. a bit tricky to fit the cables in if long or many cables but is totally worth it.

I did all the above and that reduced the clutter significantly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts