Help with Cables - Dynaudio and Hegel

Hey folks,

Hope all are doing well. Lately I have been looking into speaker cables and some other cables for my Dynaudio Focus 160 and Hegel H300. Let me clearify first, I live in Bangladesh and the Hi-Fi shops here don't do speaker cables or any high-end stuff. So, I was looking for cables at futureshop.co.uk because of their international shipping facility.

Anyway, cables I am looking for are, Mains/Power Cable for the amp, Speaker cables, USB cable for onboard DAC to Macbook connection and lastly a Mains/Power Block. I have done some research and keeping my budget under consideration I have made a shortlist of cables and looking for some proper advice.

Speaker cables (2 meters pair) :

*QED XT40

*QED Genesis Revelation

*Chord Odyssey 2

*Wireworld Luna 7

*Wireworld Oasis 6

Power Cord:

*Wireworld Stratus 5/ Stratus 7

*Wireworld Aurora 5/ Aurora 7

*Nordost Blue Heaven

Mains Block/Conditioner :

*Tacima CS929 6 way mains conditioner

*Wireworld Matrix v.2 6 way mains block

*Merlin Black Widow 6 way mains block

*Merlin Tarantula 6 way mains block

Interconnect :

*Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB A to B

** I have no idea what is the difference between the power/mains conditioner and block (Tacima being so cheap comapred to other conditioners which are really expensive thus the confusion). I have read both eliminates electrical noise and helps with EMI/RFI.

*Combination 1 - All from Wireworld: Oasis 6 speaker cable + Ultaviolet 7 USB + Aurora 5 power cord + Matrix v.2 mains block.

*Combination 2 - Chord Odyssey 2 + Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB + Nordost Blue Heaven power cord + Tacima CS929 mains conditioner. (Combination 2 is more budget friendly.)

If any of you have expereince with cables, please tell me which cable has the most effect on sound in the chain? I thank you in advance for taking the time and your kind advice. I really appreciate all the help.

Best regards,

Raian

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Greetings from the USA.

I doubt that anyone on here has heard all of those cables you mentioned or even the Hegel and Dynaudio combination. This makes it difficult. Speaker and power cables are also tricky. They all have their own subtle sonic characteristics and they all interact differently with different amps and speakers.

With that said the closest that I can come is that I listened a couple of times to a Hegel H80 driving a pair of B&W CM10's. The speakers cables were the Nordost Blue Heaven cables. The sound was very smooth, yet clear, fast, detailed and dynamic. They aslo have good depth and sound stage well. I have heard these cables in many different setups before and that has always been my impression of them. I don't think you can go wrong with those.

As far power mains cables go I have tried them twice and to be honest I have always preferred the stock power cord to them. First one I tired was an Audioquest NRG-2. The sound was very fast but way too bright. The second power cable was an expensive Granite Audio #555, thick and it had a built in power conditioner on one end. I expected the best out of this one but all it did was suck the life out of the music. Dynamics, tonal color, all subdued. Since then I just use regular power cables. Your experience might be different of course so I don't want to discourage you, but just keep that in mind. Price doesn't always make a positive difference.

Well, I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hi raian

You might also want to consider bear in mind that we use Hegel's HD12, H80, H300 and the outstanding H30 with the supplied standard mains cables, 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables and a basic £1 USB cable. As for a mains blocks we use ones bought from Wilkinson stores which cost a few £/each.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Happy_Listner and MUSICRAFT, Thank you both for replying to my post.

@Happy_Listner: I have heard so many good things about Nordost BH; and Hegel also has a history of blending very well with Nordost Cable combo. But, sadly NBH's price exceeds my budget by a far margin. i have to be looking at £500 range. To tell you the truth, I can spend that amount but I am not willing to right this moment. And mainly I am looking for a cheaper cable solution with a good outcome. Cord Odessey-2 and Wireworld OASIS 6 or 7 fits perfectly within my budget. I have also looked into Audioquest 14/4 and QED XT40, but after reading on Odessey 2 and OASIS 6, they seemed superior. Compred to the typical speaker cables I am currently using I hope for a much better improvement with either.

@MUSICRAFT: I understand your view. With the stock cable and cheap speaker wires (probably 12/14 awg) overall sound is abloslutely brlliant. The whole system plays really well, and can "WOW" anyone instantly. But I am expecting a bit more from both amp and speakers. Having a personal experience with the change from stock usb cable (for DAC) to a budget friendly Medialink usb cable; I actually had an improved sound. Everyhting is now less messy and little more focused. After this I do want to try some decent cables hoping for a much better improvement. I believe, amp and the speakers have more to offer which I might achieve with a few cable tweaks, keeping in mind not to spend a fortune on cables. £1000 on speaker cables is not something I am willing to spend. Not yet at least.

An observation here, initialy my amp was connected to a basic Belkin power surge strip. After a few months I changed the connection directly to the wall outlet with no other connection from that outlet. Sound improved by a little but noticeable. Backgruond was a bit darker, improving the image and soundstage with more details. This small yet noticable change in sound made me curious about power cord, power distribution, mains blocks/condtioners etc.

Anyway, to be honest right now I am trying to achieve; more airy, open presentation; focused accurate imaging with better depth sense and micro detailing; DEFINITELY some extension on the HF; a bit more grip/slam on the low end and a few other improvemnets.

About the Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 Usb cable I am having second thoughts. Should I get the Odyssey 2 cables with Chord USB Sliverplus cable? or Wireworld OASIS 6 speaker cables with Ultraviolet 7 USB cable? I was suggested to keep all cables from the same manufacture. I feel the sound lacks in the HF area and is masked/compressed.

A huge Problem buying blind, I wont be able to return them if they do not act as i am expecting. So, some more inputs please.

Best wishes,

Raian

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_google_107472808203962017091 said:
A huge Problem buying blind, I wont be able to return them if they do not act as i am expecting. So, some more inputs please.

Regardless of my views on cables (especially digital ones), don't buy from anybody who isn't willing to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to stuff like that. If they won't give you a refund if you don't like them, don't buy from them.

Hey cheeseboy,

Problem is where I live options are very limited, there is just 1 shop I found that sells Mid-end grade cables. They have Chrod Sliver Screen and some Van Den Hul CS-122 cables, but they won't allow me to audition the cables and for the price they are asking I can get different/better grade cables online. I was actually going to order from futureshop and get the cables shipped to Bangladesh. I hope you understand my situtation here. Not having the chance to audition, I can only rely on some proper advice from you kind people. So far, after a lot of reading and talking to some good folks online; Wireworld is what I am hoping to get. As sure as I am on Wireworld speaker cables, I am still very skeptical on the Usb cable which I guess you were also referring to. Going for just the speaker cables at the monent seems to be a more wise decision. Then again if the Ultraviolet 7 Usb improves the sound quality to a good extend I should get them too. But I can't really know for sure.

Anyway, Thank you for your input. Every opinion matters. I'll update on the cable choice. And please share your thoughts, while I look around a bit more!

Cheers.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hello Raian,

Looks like you have a very nice system!

Based on what I've experienced over the years in hifi I'd say cables are not the way forward. More like a sideways move, which takes a lot of money and little in return.

in stead i'd look at room treatment, sturdy speaker stands or a seperate power spur. Either that or maybe -in time- a further upgrade in speakers.

best of luck,

Marc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts