What does 5* mean?

pompeygreg

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
At the Bristol show today Monitor Audio were demoing the Mass 5.1 system, while I was pretty impressed given the small size, I wasn't blown away. During sections of the Dark Knight rises there were parts where I can only describe it as a wa wa pedal over the vocals - a strange listening experience.

The review doesn't appear to be 100% positive

"There’s a slight bias to the midrange, with the centre speaker feeling a bit forward compared to its flanking speakers. This is no bad thing: the already-expressive and clear vocals are direct and engaging. While there are speaker packages with a more seamless integration across the front channels, we haven’t heard anything better at this price"

So how do these speakers merit a 5* review? They were good, but i'd struggle to call them perfect. Does a 5* review system have enough granularity?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I too went into the demo room and found them lacking, but thinking back on it.... This may be down to the fact that, i saw far better and more expensive speakers before them. Naturally after hearing the 25k PCM speaker demo they would sound flat, so perhaps this could be a factor.

They also looked unattractive to me. Give me the APEX any day over them.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
About the review. All reviews are subjective and while testing would have been thorough they may appear to lack substance due to the summertime nature to them.

Also 5* does not always mean its right for you. Take the oppo 103, it received 3*, but remains the best bluray player at that price point for many!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
pompeygreg said:
At the Bristol show today Monitor Audio were demoing the Mass 5.1 system, while I was pretty impressed given the small size, I wasn't blown away. During sections of the Dark Knight rises there were parts where I can only describe it as a wa wa pedal over the vocals - a strange listening experience.

The review doesn't appear to be 100% positive

"There’s a slight bias to the midrange, with the centre speaker feeling a bit forward compared to its flanking speakers. This is no bad thing: the already-expressive and clear vocals are direct and engaging. While there are speaker packages with a more seamless integration across the front channels, we haven’t heard anything better at this price"

So how do these speakers merit a 5* review? They were good, but i'd struggle to call them perfect. Does a 5* review system have enough granularity?

They get a five star review because of the last eight words you quoted.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, after attending the show yesterday i too was disappointed with the 5.1 mass by MA, also an odd shape and imo ugly looking, the Apex in JL room soooo much better.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
there is no way a cener speaker of that size will impress...some AV amps have the ability to expand the center sound to the front speakers..in these configuration you can get a better front stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts