What do I need?

siudai8888

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking of setting up a NAS music library at home containing all my FLAC files. I will use a streamer to play those files on my home hi fi system. But I also wish to be able to access my NAS music library at work. What would I need to be able to play from that NAS library, via the internet? Is there specific hardware, e.g. a speaker/amp that I can plug onto the ethernet network at work and set it up to stream my FLAC files through the internet? This may be a dumb question, but please do excuse my ignorance. Thank you so much for your inputs!

There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

You may not be aware but there is a seperate sub-section of this forum for questions like yours, however, as you have posted here. Not too sure about where you work but most places are quite anti anyone plugging things into their network (I know mine is).

I'm no expert here but surely you would be streaming from your home NAS to your work's computer so all you would need is software, or am I missing the point?

Plug your headphones or a cheap desktop speaker in to your works computer and that's it.

As I said no expert in these matters but I'm sure someone will be along soon to clarify / and or confuse you even further *biggrin*

siudai8888

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your quick reply! Since the speakers of my work computer aren't of too good quality, I was thinking whether something like the Sonos would serve my need. But to be honest, I still can't figure out how Sonos work, as all the marketing literature emphasizes it as a multi-room system "within" the same house. But what I need is something outside the house. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this confusion. Many thanks again!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Simplest solution is Google Play. You then play the songs off your phone to a bluetooth speaker. Google play can play the files you've placed in the 'cloud' as well as those on your phone.

Spotify will also work in a similar manner but costs money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts