Review Wiim Pro: One man's view

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

I have both a Mini and a Pro and my Netgear router hates them (or rather the security software I use on the router hates them).

375 vulnerabilities
  • 70 are potential buffer overflows
  • 164 miscellaneous ones which the software claims to protect me from
  • 1 device settings vulnerability
  • 133 device lockout vulnerabilities
  • 7 device memory corruption vulnerabilities
I have several other connected devices, phones, computers, plugs, lights etc. The Wiims are the only ones it picks on. They are both patched with the latest firmware.

What software?

manicm

Have you considered putting together a Raspberry Pi based streamer?

You can just add "HAT" boards with the H/W and I/O you require, or just use its USB if you have a DAC that supports it
Yes I have, and it would end up costing more than the WiiM, and any app would not be better than the WiiM one which gives you Spotify and Tidal Connect out of the box, and support for most other music services too.

DCarmi

You mention you have several other devices connected to your router, well have you tried connecting another established brand streamer? Maybe it's not the WiiM specifically, just the nature of being a streamer.
Yes. I have Chromecast Audio. I also have Chromecast and FireTV devices.

The software is Netgear Armor which is basically Bitdefender rebadged. The software sits at the network perimeter rather than on individual devices, though it can be installed on PCs, phones etc as well.

miketruman

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
So, I have had a CXN V2 (flakey software) , and, for a time, I streamed through a laptop via usb to my Quad Artera Play Plus and Quad Artera power amp into ATC SCM 11 speakers in a relatively small room. I decided to buy a WIIM pro as it promised a clean digital signal to my Quad Artera DAC, bypassing it's own DAC. I connected via a quite expensive optical cable and, I have to say, the results are outstanding. Better than I've had previously via any other method of steaming. I wouldn't bother with the on board DAC personally as the Quad beats it hands down. The only other route to a clean signal is a raspberry pi but I'm not that tecchie and they're pretty much unavailable (and pricey). If you have a good DAC, the WIIM is exceptional value for money.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
So, I have had a CXN V2 (flakey software) , and, for a time, I streamed through a laptop via usb to my Quad Artera Play Plus and Quad Artera power amp into ATC SCM 11 speakers in a relatively small room. I decided to buy a WIIM pro as it promised a clean digital signal to my Quad Artera DAC, bypassing it's own DAC. I connected via a quite expensive optical cable and, I have to say, the results are outstanding. Better than I've had previously via any other method of steaming. I wouldn't bother with the on board DAC personally as the Quad beats it hands down. The only other route to a clean signal is a raspberry pi but I'm not that tecchie and they're pretty much unavailable (and pricey). If you have a good DAC, the WIIM is exceptional value for money.
Glad it's worked for you!

If you're only using the WiiM as a receiver & sending via optical you could go with the Mini, btw. Even better value for money.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

manicm

Glad it's worked for you!

If you're only using the WiiM as a receiver & sending via optical you could go with the Mini, btw. Even better value for money.

I have the Mini, and would for the Pro and Plus. The Mini requires you to set up maximum bitrate/depth upfront, which I think is due to inferior hardware to the much larger Pro models. And even bypassing their DACs still offer slightly improved sound quality to the Mini.

The Mini is still great for the price.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

DCarmi

I have both a Mini and a Pro on different systems. The pro is downstairs and allow me to play in multiple rooms with a Google device in the kitchen, because it has Chromecast which the mini does not.

I've not done a side-by-side comparison but both play through the amplifiers' onboard DACs and I'm happy with each. They are really simple to use.

I'm only using Spotify, I've tried Amazon and the sound is good but I don't get on with the interface and streaming is more for casual listening for me.

If you don't need Chromecast or the other added features of the Pro then the Mini is great value.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
You mention you have several other devices connected to your router, well have you tried connecting another established brand streamer? Maybe it's not the WiiM specifically, just the nature of being a streamer.
Going off topic from the original post but I had the same issue as @DCarmi years ago with a BT home hub 4. I had initially been with talktalk but went with BT for some reason and as soon as I plugged the home hub 4 in, my Denon RCD-N7 was no longer discoverable on my network, no amount of messing with the home hubs settings helped. Also netflix on my Roku would not work, I spent hours on the phone to both Roku and netflix to try and sort the issues.
As soon as my contract with BT was up I went back to talktalk and hey presto everything worked again.
I'm no IT expert but from my experience and other stories I read on forums, it seems some router manufacturers implementation of UPnP and DLNA are poorly executed.

Reactions: manicm

DCarmi

Going off topic from the original post but I had the same issue as @DCarmi years ago with a BT home hub 4.
@Cricketbat70 To be clear the issue I stated is different. The devices I have work as expected. The software I use to defend my network report issues with the firmware of the Wiim devices (and not any other device on my network). Naturally both Wiims are running the latest firmware.

I suspect the issue is to do with the way the software is interacting with the Wiims.

I have seen other people have asked the question and Linkplay have responded with a "there are no issues" reply, so I'd expect the same response.

Basically, Bitdefender Netgear Armor is saying that both the Mini and Pro Wiims have all 422 vulnerabilities Netgear Armor is currently checking for. I find that very hard to believe. So I suspect the Wiims are telling Armor to b****r off and Armor is throwing a hissy-fit.

If I am right, then the Wiiim behaviour is probably inappropriate. You should be able to scan any device on your network for issues. Also Armor should report a failed scan rather than every possible vulnerability.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
@Cricketbat70 To be clear the issue I stated is different. The devices I have work as expected. The software I use to defend my network report issues with the firmware of the Wiim devices (and not any other device on my network). Naturally both Wiims are running the latest firmware.

I suspect the issue is to do with the way the software is interacting with the Wiims.

I have seen other people have asked the question and Linkplay have responded with a "there are no issues" reply, so I'd expect the same response.

Basically, Bitdefender Netgear Armor is saying that both the Mini and Pro Wiims have all 422 vulnerabilities Netgear Armor is currently checking for. I find that very hard to believe. So I suspect the Wiims are telling Armor to b****r off and Armor is throwing a hissy-fit.

If I am right, then the Wiiim behaviour is probably inappropriate. You should be able to scan any device on your network for issues. Also Armor should report a failed scan rather than every possible vulnerability.
Yeah sorry different issues. Wonder what the security software built into my eero6 router
would make of wiim devices if I ever get any.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts