What classical music are you listening to?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlemagne Palestine: Strumming Music - Betsy Freeman, John Adams, San Francisco Conservatory of Music

5411867112976.jpg

It's still snowing outside, so I was thinking what swooshy music to accompany this nature's dance. A sonata? Fuge? Chorale? Watching the snowflakes reletnlessly falling down seems more mathematical, droning, chaos that rarely fluctuates. Thus Strumming Music as my choice.

A peek from my window.

8X30VXG.png

Reactions: Rui
K

keeper of the quays

Do you live up a mountain? Looks a bit foggy? Is that a sequoia giganticus?

K

keeper of the quays

I have a Douglas fir and some hawthorn from my window...

K

keeper of the quays

Are you familiar with boz scaggs? If so..im sure you are..lido shuffle etc..but theres a song called 'high sierra' in your mountain stronghold! Might sound pretty cool? Great song..

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir, with a magnificent view like that perhaps some Bruckner would be in order? Or maybe Sibelius 4? I like the Lahti/Vanska BIS recording but the Karajan version is great in a totally different way...

I've been listening to a lot of Bach lately, the fault of Mr Gardiner and his biography. But I took some "time off" to listen to a CD of Richard Strauss songs, from the superb Hyperion edition. This is volume 2, with Anne Schwanewilms, whose voice suits this genre well. I found the recording slightly harsh at times but this is nit-picking especially when the performance is as expressive as this. Maybe the repertoire isn't the most "fashionable" these days but there are some real gems and the disc presents songs with a wide emotional range. And Hyperion's booklet notes are comprehensive, almost on a par with Graham Johnson's for the Schubert and Schumann series.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my turntable very much these days but today I delved into my cupboard and found this object of beauty - a six LP box of Olivier Messiaen playing his works for organ. Some of the discs are quite badly warped and I have to listen "through" the mono recording but it is worth it for such an historic recording.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I am listening to the Mozart musical masterpieces album. I'm on track 3 which is Piano concerto no. 21. This is my all time favourite Wolfgang Amadues Mozart song. A beautiful and dark at times sounding piece of music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Just bought this - simply glorious: I was watching Gotham, where the music used for Falcone's funeral was from Mass No 7 in B Flat Major (Kyrie), which gave me the impetus to put it in my collection. https://www.tunefind.com/show/gotham/season-4/55011

51nR026+mmL._AC_US218_.jpg

Apr 22, 2023
Visit site
maybe this will bomb. Still, worth a try. This week I've been enjoying Brahms, Lieder, Bernarda Fink/Roger Vignoles (Harmonia Mundi HMG 501926). Nothing insightful to say about it, but the music and performances are ravishing and the recording's excellent.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Posts on the 'What are you listening to?' thread seem to be mainly pop/rock etc., so I thought there might be some interest in a separate thread for classical music. Or maybe this will bomb. Still, worth a try. This week I've been enjoying Brahms, Lieder, Bernarda Fink/Roger Vignoles (Harmonia Mundi HMG 501926). Nothing insightful to say about it, but the music and performances are ravishing and the recording's excellent.

:cheers:

Matt
Rachmaninoff's "The Isle of the Dead" Op.29, followed by "Symphonic Dances" Op.45
Concertgebouw Orchestra, Ashkenazy, Decca 1983. I've listened to a few versions of this but so far, for me the Concertgebouw Orchestra's interpretation and execution of this is the best I've heard.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
(OMG, what is this thread doing in this TV Shows section?? Still learning site)
-------
Sergei Nakariakov, Trumpet Works (leads with a dynamic, beautiful rendition of Rhapsody in Blue)

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Not a huge fan of Tchaikovsky ballets and never owned any, but I picked up a box set by Previn and the LSO for 50p a disc. Surprisingly good as background music.
My first classical CD was Sir Georg Solti conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky, including a great 1812 Overture, Romeo and Juliet, and the Nutcracker Suite. (Decca 1987) It was a new release and I lived in Chicago at the time. Sounded glorious on my Cyrus, Mission, and Sony equipment. Still recommend many years later as excellent foreground music. ;)

Reactions: Rui and DCarmi

DCarmi

My first classical CD was Sir Georg Solti conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky, including a great 1812 Overture
My first classical LP was a copy of the 1812 Overture. I was a youngster and it came from the 50p basket in Woolies. I am certain it was not a good recording but the cover had cannons and everything that appealed to a 11 year old. I have to say it did not disappoint, at the time! :)

Reactions: Rui and DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts