What classical music are you listening to?

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Neue Welt (Streifzüge Durch Die Avantgarde) - Mark-Anthony Turnage

Neue-Welt---Streifzuege-durch-die-Avantgarde-0028947616850.jpg

matthewpiano

My classical listening in recent weeks has been largely focused on the Glenn Gould Remastered box set - a treasure trove of wonderful, thought provoking piano playing.

I've also been enjoying Daniil Trifonov's superb new Rachmaninoff CD. For me, he is by far the most exciting young pianist of today with a fabulous combination of fluid technique and quite colossal musicianship.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
John Butt and Dunedin Consort on Linn - This is a reconstruction of Bach's first Christmas Vespers in 1723. I love Butt's approach to reconstructions (as in his Mozart Requiem) and this is a very vivid and real recording with super performances from all concerned. It's a hybrid SACD so you get the "advantages" that brings and you get a "free" digital download version as well.

It's best played quite loud to get the best from the acoustic, it was recorded in the Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh, and the organ preludes are quite exciting acoustically.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vlad

Have you tried Copland's Lincoln Portrait? It's a mixture of music and excerts from Lincoln's speeches - I like Gregory Peck as the orator. You will see where the music for Saving Private Ryan came from.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Vlad

Have you tried Copland's Lincoln Portrait? It's a mixture of music and excerts from Lincoln's speeches - I like Gregory Peck as the orator. You will see where the music for Saving Private Ryan came from.

Chris

I can hear the connection. Add a bit of a marching snare to the original and it fits. The great political unrest feels well portrayed just by the music score alone (found without narration on Tidal), and the narration adds to the character's homage.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:
This is amazing.

Hans Otte - The Book of Sounds (Das Buch der Klänge) - 1983

Why is it amzing?

The space given to each particle of music is something I really like, simply allowing sounds develop and dissapear but also overlap, create bridges of harmony. This has been done by postmodern minimalist composers thousands of times but it rarely sounds so weaved with harmony and for lack of better words melodic. The problem with this sort of compositions is it either feels like a mathematical equation (Reich, Riley...) or like a movie adaptation of a fictional novel, Amelie Poulainesque (Tiersen, Mertens...). The Book of Sounds to me personally feels like neither, in a good way. Makes sense?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
4787697.jpg

"Lisitsa" in translation means "fox", and she quickly tiptoes the ebony and ivory keys like one. One could say a performance opposite of Cortot's lyrical but hamfisted playing, however I find it very enjoyable today. It is 'Etudes' (excercises) after all, especially with the arpeggios in Op. 10, No. 12 "Revolutionary Etudes". This one was inspired by the Russian bombing of Warsaw in 1831.

Since we talked Copland and some fresh talented fingers, this is cued next - Charles Ives: Four Sonatas, Hilary Hahn violin + Valentina Lisitsa piano.

4779435.jpg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
My classical listening in recent weeks has been largely focused on the Glenn Gould Remastered box set - a treasure trove of wonderful, thought provoking piano playing.

I've also been enjoying Daniil Trifonov's superb new Rachmaninoff CD. For me, he is by far the most exciting young pianist of today with a fabulous combination of fluid technique and quite colossal musicianship.

Matthew

A review on Amazon says there is a missing glissando on the last page of the Pagaini Variations and nobody has said this is wrong. It's rather put me off buying the Trifonov. Your comments?

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Jarvi, Frankfurt RSO - newish recording, excellent playing (especially the brass) and direction. Very clean and clear recording so if you like this music this is a strong recommendation.

Chris

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mahler Symphony No.1 / Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Sir George Solti

On vinyl

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hated by Hanslick - USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra, RIAS Symphony Orchestra and Anatole Fistoulari

t0eiAT7.png

- Release Date: 10 Nov. 2015

- Label: Sandrew Metronome

- Total Length: 3:12:16

Available on all streaming services.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
So Christmas came and went, but no Scarlatti CD appeared. Oh well, it will have to wait for my first New Year splurge, or maybe I'll take the Qobuz plunge...

And after catching up on the recent posts, I now have two more (at least) discs to explore - the Christiane Karg which Chris mentioned, and the Ruth Crawford Seeger (Vladimir), neither of which I knew.

In the meantime, it's back to the Gardiner recordings of the JS Bach cantatas, interspersed with reading his thought-provoking biography of the composer, "Music In the Castle of Heaven". He writes and speaks so eloquently about the music and its historical, religious and cultural context, it is an absorbing read.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I was listening to this just now: Domenico Scarlatti: Sonata in d-minor K141; Eva Dolinšek

Cued up: Vladimir Horowitz - Return to Chicago

MI0003945422.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mahler's 9th in D. I like the cinematic Herby and BP, but I must say Ozawa and BSO have crisper sound, very rich horn section (better DDD recording it seems).

MI0003010204.jpg
MI0001024134.jpg

Next Britten's War Requiem. Will compare Fischer-Dieskau / LSO / Vishnevskaya / Pears and Pappano / Netrebko / Bostrige / Hampson / Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia.

MI0000977717.jpg
MI0003677232.jpg

EDIT: I must say the Fischer-Dieskau / LSO edition on Decca is a strong favorite sound and performance wise.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dvorak: Concerto For Cello And Orchestra - Pablo Casals, George Szell, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

1440x1440sr.jpg

Martha Argerich: Complete Concerto Recordings - Claudio Abbado, Berlin Philharmonic, London Symphony Orchestra, Mahler Chamber Orchestra, and Orchestra Mozart

MI0003829132.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts