Question Way too boomy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 116933

Try moving the sofa forwards - I don't know if that's a permanent option but at least you'd know if it's a major cause. It may well be.

You don't even have to move the sofa just sit forward on it or kneel in front of for a few tracks.

gasolin

hard tiles

Cheap but extremly heavy why not try a ikea chopping board with some feet, mabye 2 for each speakers

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Cheap but extremly heavy why not try a ikea chopping board with some feet, mabye 2 for each speakers

so ow does that work? 2 on top of each other? The spikes rest on top of the board?

gasolin

Have no idea im waiting for my 2 chopping boards, 3 week or longer for delivery :fearscream: :eek:

No feet or not, under over, sorbothane,spikes,foam i have no experience with it,more expensive than a concrete block but alot lighter and bamboo are recommed to use for hifi.

Compared to isoacoustics feet they are alot cheaper

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
I have a very similar problem with the Q Acoustic 3050, not being able to modify its placement in the room, with my old B&W DM 220 I did not have this problem, I regret the change, it is the consequence of buying following the advice of the HIFI publications without to be able to audition at your home, ultimately we buy blindly

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Depends on the benefits it can bring - judging by some end user reports, it can be quite a substantial difference (I guess, depending on existing isolation and cabinet construction), but once in place, benefit’s future purchases too.
Hmm you make a tempting case. Well shipments are kinda on hold anyways, gives me some time to do experiments, refuse to give up!!

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I have a very similar problem with the Q Acoustic 3050, not being able to modify its placement in the room, with my old B&W DM 220 I did not have this problem, I regret the change, it is the consequence of buying following the advice of the HIFI publications without to be able to audition at your home, ultimately we buy blindly
Have you done anything to it?

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
I have tried to cover the reflex output, but although the boom is attenuated, it seems as if the rest of the frequencies were also altered, honestly it is an unsolicited problem, now my brother has them at home, I have returned to the B&W DM 220 and I am looking for something really better and that does not give me that problem, if there is my presence in this forum and others similar, I have noticed the Dali Oberon 5, but I am afraid you have a similar problem.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
This is the position of the speakers and there is no possible change, my wife would not allow it, in that position the B&W do not give me those problems

Attachments

• Salon casa.jpg
    Salon casa.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 12
D

Deleted member 116933

This is the position of the speakers and there is no possible change, my wife would not allow it, in that position the B&W do not give me those problems

Aren't those B&W's sealed? If they are thats why those speaker are ok in that position (highly doubt they are ok though). That space is fare from ideal.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to cram floor standers in that space. Be realistic! its just going to be boom town not to mention the imaging is just going to be none existent . I know its probably out of budget but size wise id be looking something like the harbeth PS3R for it stature only.

And as you seem to be pretty near field id say thats all you'd need.

Small form factor speakers (off the top of my head) at different price points

Neat iota

ProAc Tablette 10

harbeth PS3R

Klipsch rp 500

ACT SMC 7 (not my fav)

LESS IS MORE IN YOUR CASE it will sound cleaner and probably seem more impactful as your not over pressurising one corner.

Hope that helps

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Of course I have them, I have put them back and the Q Acoustis 3050 are at my brother's house that has a much higher salor although the most attenuated boom is still present, the B&W DM 220 are hermetic and do not present this problem, which I seek is something higher than what I have

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Aren't those B&W's sealed? If they are thats why those speaker are ok in that position (highly doubt they are ok though). That space is fare from ideal.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to cram floor standers in that space. Be realistic! its just going to be boom town not to mention the imaging is just going to be none existent . I know its probably out of budget but size wise id be looking something like the harbeth PS3R for it stature only.

And as you seem to be pretty near field id say thats all you'd need.

Small form factor speakers (off the top of my head) at different price points

Neat iota

ProAc Tablette 10

harbeth PS3R

Klipsch rp 500

ACT SMC 7 (not my fav)

LESS IS MORE IN YOUR CASE it will sound cleaner and probably seem more impactful as your not over pressurising one corner.

Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 116933

Are they placed in order of preference?
No not at all just a little list of small form factor models that spring to mind

Edit add revel to that list. Though they are very potent.

D

Deleted member 108165

See if you can audition some small standmount PMC speakers too as they sound much bigger than their size indicates. I have had PMC DB1 Gold speakers in my system for many years and have been very happy with them. I am currently trialling some Harbeth P3ESR speakers and they are also very good.

It is going to be a very difficult to decide between these two speakers as they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I have time on my side in order to make an informed decision.

Make time work for you too, have patience and audition as many speakers as you can until you find the right one for you. Good luck (y)

Reactions: rainsoothe and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts