voicing of a hifi component

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I've got such a control on my speakers. However, even while my living room isn't that big and the B&O installer initially set the base to the 'wall' setting, I much prefer the 'free' setting. I just kept missing something; it only became 'right' to my ears when I set it to freestanding.

(Set up was done without measurements btw, which could explain it)

Edit: not trying to prove a point but just adding my 2 cents worth.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Instead of opening a new thread I'll just continue in this one.

Voicing of speakers.

Grab a frequency response graph online - just google your speakers with the words 'frequency response' added and check in google images.

Compare how the peaks and valeys compare to this reference graph and you may find out why and how your speakers were voiced to be sweet/bright/boomy/etc.

Click images to zoom.

What's the point? Understanding voicing helps with chosing speakers for your needs, tastest and room response. Just by looking at a graph you may get some idea what the character of your next unheard potential purchase might be.

As an example here is my B&W CM1 frequency response and the graph clearly shows the character of the speakers I have. They have solid bass, warm lower and upper midrange, airy highs. They are obviosly color and voiced to please people with my preferences, which I suspect are plenty out there.

Have fun. :cheers:

matthewpiano

Dynaudio DM2/6. Purple trace is the frequency response of the speakers.

710dyn.meas.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Since you asked, Martin Logan Montis:

912Montisfig3.jpg

But this is only a fraction of the story. It may tell you what frequency curve suits you, but it doesn't tell you much about the quality of the sound,. For that you need to consider distortion, crossover joins, phase alignment etc etc.

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
But this is only a fraction of the story. It may tell you what frequency curve suits you, but it doesn't tell you much about the quality of the sound,. For that you need to consider distortion, crossover joins, phase alignment etc etc.

Matt

Indeed you are right. Don't forget marketing and pricing is also part of voicing. ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Dynaudio DM2/6. Purple trace is the frequency response of the speakers.

710dyn.meas.jpg

That is an interesting FR. Depending what the reference point of the listener will be, they can sound either thin yet neutral if the reference point is the peak at 4kHz, or bright but with solid slam if the reference is the bottom of the valey arround 400Hz.

I've seen a lot of people on forums complain how their new Dynaudios sound thin and unimpressive like cheap PC speakers. Usual response is, you guessed it, wait for the break in. Hehe. Eventually people choose a different reference point and the speakers are finally "broken in" like a new horse saddle.

Fun video about specs vs listening and voicing right here RMAF11: Loudspeaker Measurements Explained, John Atkinson, Stereophile Editor.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Indeed you are right. Don't forget marketing and pricing is also part of voicing. ;)

Sorry, Vlad, you've lost me there. But I'm feeling a bit dense after a long day's marking.

:cheers:

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Sorry, Vlad, you've lost me there. But I'm feeling a bit dense after a long day's marking.

Matt

Who cares, this is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ghow9gOYec

V

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
How to do your own voicing via EQ in your Media Player DSP settings or with standalone DSP unit.

50Hz

1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass. Peak equalization with a 1.4 Q.

2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock. Shelf equalization.

100Hz

1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0..

3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns. Peak Equalization. For piano use a Q of 1.0. With horn use a Q of 1.4..

4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

200Hz

1. Increase to add fullness to vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0..

2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

400Hz

1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0. Alternately try a shelf EQ with a 320 Hz frequency setting.

800Hz

1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

1.5KHz

1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4..

2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3KHz

1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7. Increase for more attack on the snare or other drums. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

5KHz

1. Increase for vocal presence. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

5. Reduce to make background parts more distant. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7KHz

1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

3. Increase on dull singer. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 2.8. Sweep frequency slightly (between 7 kHz and 8 kHz) to find the "exact" frequency of the S

6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4.

10KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3. Increase for hardness on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

15KHz

1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting Vladimir.So get the most neutral speakers you can get or at least some you know their freq.response and something like a Yamaha DSP Z9 and you are done with a lot of time to voice to your likes,hehe.Countercheck with Carma.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
Very interesting Vladimir.So get the most neutral speakers you can get or at least some you know their freq.response and something like a Yamaha DSP Z9 and you are done with a lot of time to voice to your likes,hehe.Countercheck with Carma.

Accurate sound from commercial domestic hifi in our living rooms....what a joke. It will never happen, not even with active DSP, active crossovers, room acoustic treatments etc. etc. High fidelity in your living room is a marketing idiom, it never existed and it never will. So why not voice your speakers to your room, to your music preference, to your system and have fun.

You will never know how the violin sounded like in Carnegy Hall on that concert and how your speaker sounded to the engineer who designed them. Your speakers were voiced by some guy in some other room with some other music and preferences. You get your own sound.

"But Smith promised it can be done, I can have a live symphony orchestra in my living room". I know he did. He was a hired actor unfortunatly. And there is no Santa. awwww

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Roksan Kandy K2 BT is a lateral MOSFET, wide bandwith and high instanteneous current capability with 5 regulated voltage rails. The caps used in the signal path are Elna Silmic II. The result is a predictable "analogue" and "tube-like" sound.

They aimed for high distortion when making that amp?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Vladimir said:
Roksan Kandy K2 BT is a lateral MOSFET, wide bandwith and high instanteneous current capability with 5 regulated voltage rails. The caps used in the signal path are Elna Silmic II. The result is a predictable "analogue" and "tube-like" sound.

Looking from the specs I have to say no, but they were aiming at FR that will please a target group of buyers.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Jota180 said:
Vladimir said:

Looking from the specs I have to say no, but they were aiming at FR that will please a target group of buyers.

How do you go about mimcing the high distortion of a valve amp without adding distortion?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don´t know what is the fuss about distortion...wisely used it´s often just that some people need to be happy with their stuff.Distortion is not a bad thing generally imo..We are humans and individual,not machines created to do measurements.So np with distortion if you are happy when listening.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Vladimir said:
Jota180 said:
Vladimir said:

How do you go about mimcing the high distortion of a valve amp without adding distortion?

Why do lateral MOSFETs and valve amps sound similar?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts