Vinyl as an only source in 2013

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Saw elsewhere on the form that Nicky Distance wants to put together a 'vinyl only' system for £2,500.

I think that's great, but partly it's because he already has access to a load of LPs in his shop, so I can see why!

In a way that's similar to me. My continued attraction to the black stuff is bourne from the fact I already own a lot of records going back as much as 50+ years. Though I have been known to buy new releases now and again as well.

But here's a question: just suppose you had no records, no CDs, no downloads etc, and you're putting together your first proper HiFi system. You have to pick just one source. How many people here would pick a turntable? There's no right and wrong answer, just wondering how many people would, in 2013. I'm going to have to be honest and say I wouldn't. I know: shame on me! :oops:

frank.custers

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
My current 'system' is currently built just around one source, a Rega RP1 turntable. That is because I have no decent amp yet and my active speakers, Soundsticks II allow only one source. I also have a iPod which used to play on the Soundsticks, but is lying around useless now. And of course radio in bedroom, kitchen and car.

However, if I have to pick one I will certainly go for vinyl. I simply love it! :cheer: :cheer:

Especially if I pick up a bargain (I'm dutch). Tomorrow we have Queensday and that is always a good time for fleamarket bargains.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Definitely not a turntable, thats for sure. New vinyl is just too expensive in the majority of cases.

To answer your question then, probably my Squeezebox Touch for the internet radio and Spotify facility.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
But here's a question: just suppose you had no records, no CDs, no downloads etc, and you're putting together your first proper HiFi system. You have to pick just one source. How many people here would pick a turntable? There's no right and wrong answer, just wondering how many people would, in 2013. I'm going to have to be honest and say I wouldn't. I know: shame on me! :oops:

I think it would depend on the particular stage in my life that I was at.

I am delighted to have experienced the joys of Vinyl from the mid 70s to the early 90s. I sold up when I my first child appeared in 92.

ATM. I am glad to be digital, but when (if !!) the kids leave home, I wouldn't be averse to going back, if I hadn't got rid of all my albums (and sunk my money into this "money-pit" of a house).

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My answer it's an easy one, as i started from scratch my system a year ago! I would, and i did, choose the digital/streaming format.

The vinyl just came because I visited my Rega dealer to much...

Nice thread by the way! :cheer:

:cheer:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
CD for me.

Although a fan of vinyl, it's too expensive to be a realistic single-source for all new purchases. (I buy too much)

I save vinyl buying for special records, where I know that the sound quality will/should be superb, or if the artist is special to me in some way.

Vinyl is my weekend sportscar - expensive, high maintenance (relatively), but boy does it bring a smile to my face when I drive it :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Having 'grown up' with vinyl I get drawn towards a new turntable a few times a year, but never follow it through. Almost certainly never will now that I have the convenience of over 600 albums available to hear just by swiping a screen a few times.

I can't see many starting a vinyl exclusive system now.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I got in to vinyl last year after discovering my fathers collection.

I buy new vinyl of stuff i really like or classic albums that are my absolute favourite — or else go to charity shops and pick up random stuff.

I guess it depends if you are a fan of music, or listening to music — subtle difference.

There's something wonderful about putting on a piece of vinyl — though if I had all my digital collection in 96 24 I might be less so excited. That played though my Rega DAC meets all my expectations.

i cannot imagine starting a vinyl collection from scratch.

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I had only a few mid eighties albums and 12inches, bought my own CD-player x-mas 1988!

So starting all over again.... eh no, I would not go the vinyl route.
smiley-wink.gif
(too expensive these new albums, some crappy mastering)

Although.... "When I started again (after 20 years) last year with a TT and vinyl, i just limmited myself to 70's albums from artists I knew but didn't have complete albums from or just missed out over the years. All of the vinyl-albums I purchased is s/h, because they have that sound from backthen and a variety of songs." :shifty:

Also would not just rely on the internet-streams or radio, so still buy actual albums / songs. :rockout:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
I got in to vinyl last year after discovering my fathers collection.

I buy new vinyl of stuff i really like or classic albums that are my absolute favourite — or else go to charity shops and pick up random stuff.

I guess it depends if you are a fan of music, or listening to music — subtle difference.

There's something wonderful about putting on a piece of vinyl — though if I had all my digital collection in 96 24 I might be less so excited. That played though my Rega DAC meets all my expectations.

i cannot imagine starting a vinyl collection from scratch.

But I did start one from scratch after buying my RP3 this January. My collection is now on the 250 albums mark. I've bought all those classics ones that I use to have and some that i never had the money to buy in my youth.

And i'm buying as well new editiond from singer that i like and are very well pressed, like Diana Krall, Shelby Lynne, Eva Cassidy and some MObile Fidelity albums like Sowing the seeds of Love from Tears for Fears and others, but expensive...

I like the digital source of my system, Synology NAS> Rega DAC for Flac files 16/44 and some 24/96 ( but have to buy a USB/coax converter) so much quality in sound delivery!

Vinyl is back in my life, I consither myself a musicophile guy and not a Audiophile, i love listenig to music, digital or analog, and my TT do spin every day!

I did like the Dandy Cobalt anology of vinyl beeing like "is sports car" i almoust feel the same.

And my passion for music is shared with my wife, we only listen to music, no TV, no football, no soup operas, no TV New. The kids have TV in their room. In the living room music is always playing. 8)

:cheers:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
And my passion for music is shared with my wife, we only listen to music, no TV

You have one hell of a wife. If you ever want to trade her in for a different model, there'll be a queue for your current model, and I'm in it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
And my passion for music is shared with my wife, we only listen to music, no TV

You have one hell of a wife. If you ever want to trade her in for a different model, there'll be a queue for your current model, and I'm in it.

i'm in the "Hi-Fi for life club" !

This means no upgrades... ;)

:rofl:

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Saw elsewhere on the form that Nicky Distance wants to put together a 'vinyl only' system for £2,500.

I think that's great, but partly it's because he already has access to a load of LPs in his shop, so I can see why!

In a way that's similar to me. My continued attraction to the black stuff is bourne from the fact I already own a lot of records going back as much as 50+ years. Though I have been known to buy new releases now and again as well.

CD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
CD's or spotify for me.

I have just started collecting vinyl and love it. Having said that, there's stuff not available on records and it is both more expensive and work intensive than other medias.

Still, luckily I dont have to make a choice so enjoy all of them.

Nearly forgot, a friend came over last night and her jaw dropped when I put a newly acquired record of Jaco Pastorius on. She is not even a Jazz fan ...

regards

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The best vinyl I ever heard were some early Direct Cut albums from Sheffield Labs. A friend of mine has about a half dozen of them, I wonder how much they are worth nowadays. Amazing quality reproduction.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
The best vinyl I ever heard were some early Direct Cut albums from Sheffield Labs. A friend of mine has about a half dozen of them, I wonder how much they are worth nowadays. Amazing quality reproduction.

You mean like this one?

51JLNZOHDaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker

I bought one of these in near mint condition off Ebay a couple of years ago for £4.99, but have seen them on there for a lot more.

I agree about the quality, You can tell that it is an outstanding recording but there are one or two pretty average tunes on there, and no amount of fine recording and mastering can disguise the fact.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
relocated said:

You mean like this one?

I bought one of these in near mint condition off Ebay a couple of years ago for £4.99, but have seen them on there for a lot more.

I agree about the quality, You can tell that it is an outstanding recording but there are one or two pretty average tunes on there, and no amount of fine recording and mastering can disguise the fact.

Also check out recordings from MoFi: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/mobile_fidelity.htm

and: http://www.mofi.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
DIB said:
relocated said:

You mean like this one?

Just like that DIB, thanks. The only reason I never bought any was because there were none by any artists that I would listen to. I am amazed that you got the one you did for a fiver. I think my friend thinks they are a valuable source of an extra pension. :doh:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
DIB said:
relocated said:

You mean like this one?

Just like that DIB, thanks. The only reason I never bought any was because there were none by any artists that I would listen to. I am amazed that you got the one you did for a fiver. I think my friend thinks they are a valuable source of an extra pension. :doh:

It may well be, I just think I was very lucky and the seller started it at that price and I was the only bidder. I only bought it because I'd read all about the Sheffield Lab records and how they used to be the demo discs back in the 70's at lots of hi-fi shops, so was just curious to see what all the fuss was about. The title track is a classic and to be fair I had a much better vinyl set-up at the time, so it sounded really, really good.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd probably go for vinyl. On the basis of what I've heard so far, vinyl sounds better than CD. My taste in music is mainly from the vinyl era. There's enough affordable 2nd hand vinyl around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts