admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

How do valve amps generally compare to digital amps?
Eg some of these look great ( http://www.daredtube.com/products.htm ) … but how do they sound?

Thanks,
Conor

idc

Hi lambconor. The answer is they sound as different from each other as other amps. Howver, if there is one attribute normally associated with tube amps then it is warmth to the sound and they tend to be found with classical music as opposed to rock music fans.

P.S - other amps are not digital, the vast majority work in analogue, just nit picking!

A

Anonymous

I couldn't agree more with you on the looks department, I love the golden glow!

As idc and taxiboy have said they do have a warmer, more natural sound compared to your normal transistor amp.

Biggest downside to them is the fact that they are generally not all that powerful. 50W per channel would be considered a lot for a valve amp, whereas transistor amps are way beyond that. So you generally have to pair them with speakers which are quite sensitive and easy to drive.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Some months back a fella I got talking to on the World Audio Designs forum brought one of his valve pre/power amps round to my house so I could get an idea of the sound on my Sony's. I was blown away, such lovely sound. When turned up it didn't get louder it got bigger! All this from around 10watts a side.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

I think I need to get into a shop and demo some side by side.

They really do look great :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts