Amp recommendations please

john121

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Hi Thanks for reading I'm looking for any amp recommendations for a stereo set up.
I've got a budget of about £400 and can buy used.
So far hypex seem like a good brand. Also Fosi Audio DA2120, or fosi audio E10. What do you think ? Have you any experiences of these class-d amps

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi John
Does it have to be a class d amp in particular?

I've only ever heard the topping class d which I liked.
I know fosi don't do well reviews wise especially with a review by want hifi.

Please see the thread "Best Sounding Class D?"
By typing it into the forum search bar as there's suggestions on there as it's well covered in advance.
If your willing to go second hand there's plenty of other options.
😊

Hi Thanks for reading I'm looking for any amp recommendations for a stereo set up.
So far hypex seem like a good brand. Also Fosi Audio DA2120, or fosi audio E10. What do you think ? Have you any experiences of these class-d amps
Welcome to forum!

As others have said, it helps to know what sources you intend to use, and your speakers. If not yet chosen, then a bit about your room size, and even musical interests, can help.

Hypex isn’t exactly a retail brand, as they make the amplifier modules that many assemblers/manufacturers use. So, you can find Hypex components inside certain models of amplifier from the likes of Marantz, NAD, and Primare, as well as more ‘hobbyist’ suppliers like Nord, Apollon, and Buckeye.

Fosi make clever little amps, based on an amplifier ‘chip’. I’m using one right now, but they aren’t for everyone and don’t replace a regular integrated amp.

Fandango Andy

What are your needs? You mention class D, do you need it to be small? What do you intend to connect to it, streamer, CD, record player??? Or, do you need a streamer built in (or within thr £400 budget).

Do you have speakers? What are they, or what are you considering if you don't yet have them?

john121

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I'm building the stereo system one component at a time. So far i have a zidoo z9x pro streamer which is the source hardware and plays back all media from a hard drive.
This goes to a hidisz S9 stereo dac via usb.
Next is a homemade class-a amp, which sounds okay
Finally in the chain is a pair of newly acquired focal chorus 706v speakers
I am open to suggestions concerning if these components work well together, or if any or good or bad. The home made amp is the obvious weak link, i will appreciate any recommendations on that, and on the sytem is an entirety.
I am hoping for an amp which has bass treble controls on the front, am prepared to buy used as the budget is not great

john121

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Hi John
Does it have to be a class d amp in particular?

I've only ever heard the topping class d which I liked.
I know fosi don't do well reviews wise especially with a review by want hifi.

Please see the thread "Best Sounding Class D?"
By typing it into the forum search bar as there's suggestions on there as it's well covered in advance.
If your willing to go second hand there's plenty of other options.
😊
Which topping model did you like

john121

Jan 12, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to forum!

As others have said, it helps to know what sources you intend to use, and your speakers. If not yet chosen, then a bit about your room size, and even musical interests, can help.

Hypex isn’t exactly a retail brand, as they make the amplifier modules that many assemblers/manufacturers use. So, you can find Hypex components inside certain models of amplifier from the likes of Marantz, NAD, and Primare, as well as more ‘hobbyist’ suppliers like Nord, Apollon, and Buckeye.

Fosi make clever little amps, based on an amplifier ‘chip’. I’m using one right now, but they aren’t for everyone and don’t replace a regular integrated amp.
Thanks! What do you think of hypex themselves, i appreciate the point but is the hypex module itself any good in the first place.
I mentioned fosi as i hear they give good bang for youur buck, and as my budget is quite low i thought fosi may have some higher quality offerings

Thanks! What do you think of hypex themselves, i appreciate the point but is the hypex module itself any good in the first place.
I mentioned fosi as i hear they give good bang for youur buck, and as my budget is quite low i thought fosi may have some higher quality offerings
I had a Nord power amp, the NC500 DM, with Hypex modules and it was excellent. They’re about £1500 new depending on spec, (mine was £800 secondhand) but I sold it to get a Pass Labs as I’d never had a Class A design amp before.

Fosi Audio is completely different and I don’t know their complicated range and ever changing models. I do own their v3 which has a single input and is really a power amp with a gain control, not an integrated amp. Amazing for c £120 if matched carefully.

TBH, the Marantz and NAD suggested above are far easier to recommend for most users.

gasolin

Why not an amp with all in it, a streamer,dac,radio,bluetooth,wifi,amplifier

Used yamaha amp, they do make some with all mention built in

Or this amp https://www.richersounds.com/wiim-amp-space-grey.html

Can your streamer or preamp be used as a preamp maby this power amp

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
Don't buy class D. Buy Class AB. You can't go wrong with Emotiva.

Holden Caulfield

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
That sentiment was probably true a decade ago....
now major manufacturers have adopted class D and this 'bias' is outdated. Ask NAD, Marantz, Peachtree et al.
I had a QSC class D and I was trying new DAC's, I added an equalizer and a subwoofer to improve the sound. In the end, I got an Emotiva Basx A2, it's a Class AB and it's all the amp I'll ever need. I didn't even bother connecting the equalizer or the sub, that's how good this amp is. I'll never buy anything other than Class AB. You're taking a chance buying Class D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts