valve amplification

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hee hee. Hi Shafie, yip having a bit of a laugh really. When i posted about my 845s not fairing to badly (or something like that) you replied in regards to your loudspeakers. Do you see the glowing lighthouses in my avatar, they are the 845s i was on about not loudspeakers.

All meant in good fun my friend so please dont take umbrage :grin:

By the way Shafie. Ive heard your Cayin via some Vienna Accs and Piega loudspeakers. Nice little amp you have there.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Hee hee. Hi Shafie, yip having a bit of a laugh really. When i posted about my 845s not fairing to badly (or something like that) you replied in regards to your loudspeakers. Do you see the glowing lighthouses in my avatar, they are the 845s i was on about not loudspeakers.

All meant in good fun my friend so please dont take umbrage :grin:

By the way Shafie. Ive heard your Cayin via some Vienna Accs and Piega loudspeakers. Nice little amp you have there.
Always a fan of good humor...I confused ur 845s for speakers....oh well :rofl: Thank you, it was love at first sight and soung with the Cayins...they do sound amazing, beat the socks off anything near the price I tried....they don't get enough press considering how good they are. Well I guess its better, I get to own something different!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh also, where did you get to hear the Cayins? I'd love to find a dealer which stocks both Cayin and Viena acoustics, as the amp isn't actually portable by any measure

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
ok guys, seems like some funds will be with me in July so about the valve amplification? I'll defo look at the one recommended by Floyd any others? at the price range of £550 to £700 max? will it beat my roksan? or can I use my integrated with a valve amp?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Have a scout around for a 2nd hand icon audio stereo 40 mk iii. You should get one easily for that kind of money. Thought i had traced one for you but tis sold. Damn fine amps Icons btw.

Go on Icons site gb and feed yer brain.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Have a scout around for a 2nd hand icon audio stereo 40 mk iii. You should get one easily for that kind of money. Thought i had traced one for you but tis sold. Damn fine amps Icons btw.

Go on Icons site gb and feed yer brain.
yeah they look good but the yarland you have mentioned (it's a yarland right??) is looking so promising and the review is great! I want one...is there anywhere else that sells it as the site you mentiones is out of stock? thanks for checking around for some other brands!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Is this too much of a stretch: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:category=1720028&mode=product&product=7516644

Edit. Sorry it's sold!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I think i saw one yesterday gb. Got my trawling hat on and will get back to you in a bit.

Mind you if at all possible try to get some different valve intergrateds for a home dem , even if they are off your radar in the wallet dept. You may not like what you hear, doubt it, but you never know.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Found it gb. Bang Ariand into the bays search bar via the sound and vision category.

The blurb you see is Paul Millers test report (hifi news). He knows his onions btw. Plus Kessler loved it and he dosnt pee around, if its c**p he will say as much.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Lol, well yeah quite.

Gb if i was thee i would go about it this way. Keep your sheckels in your wallet for now. Try to beg borrow or steal a dem amp or six. If you are certain this is the way you want to go after having a listen then flog your Roksan first. You then have more buying power.

Listen to the radio for a while and take your time if you go down that route.

Ok,im off to watch that shower of s***e play football,lol.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Found it gb. Bang Ariand into the bays search bar via the sound and vision category.

The blurb you see is Paul Millers test report (hifi news). He knows his onions btw. Plus Kessler loved it and he dosnt pee around, if its c**p he will say as much.
thanks Floyd! anywhere else besides fleabay?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
floyd droid said:

FD can answer for himself, but keep an eye on dealers sites that sell Valve amps 2/H or ex-dem:

eg. Jordan Acoustics, Audio Emotion, Audio Oasis, Kronas AV and Audio Affair etc

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
A dealer friend of mine. When he gets new stuff in i get the nod to pop over for a listen.

Where are you based ?
I live in Bangladesh but travel to London and Cardiff often. Thats great you have a dealer friend....I'm quite pleased that he matched the Cayins with mega expensive speakers such as the Viennas, probably means I can keep this baby for a while. Can you tell me what the speakers were, ooh it would be great if you can get him to recommend me some speakers....hehe ain't I greedy?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gbhsi1 said:
floyd droid said:

FD can answer for himself, but keep an eye on dealers sites that sell Valve amps 2/H or ex-dem:

eg. Jordan Acoustics, Audio Emotion, Audio Oasis, Kronas AV and Audio Affair etc

I can vouch for Audio Emotion, a super company to do business with. Buy with confidence from them.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend this-

http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/Ming-Da-MC368-B902.html

MC368B902.jpg

Brilliant value, sounded really good round a mates system. Its a little over your budget be the dealer does do home demo's. Top bloke to deal with.

FWIW, valve amps can sound a lot better than SS amps. The main problem is that a cheap valve amp will sound rubbish, where as a cheap SS amp will be OK. With Valve amps you are paying for the transformer quality, wimp out on that and you will get that 'soft and wooly' presentation that people talk of.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Good shout Hoops. Gb go for a trawl on the Wam. There is a personal review by Mr Wiggywam in the equipment reviews section.

Home demos or trial periods are the only way to go gb, dont take a flyer if you can possibly resist.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:

If you mean regarding the Ariand,dunno tbh. But ive given this a bit of thought. Dont go the fleabay route, if you read the whole listing you aint getting the trial period. If you want to try and/or buy, frozen banana is the only way methinks.

Anyways as i said a few posts ago, dont dive in, try a few out. A good dealer (i.e Hoops sugestion) will not have any problem with sending you out a dem amp.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Cheap valve amps wont necessarily sound rubbish. Yarland are about 500 pounds , best buy in Hifi news mag. I bought a hybrid chinese valve amp for around $100 AUS down from $300. On simply music like Jazz, acoustic etc it beat my $600 reworked Yamaha amp for sound quality and musicality it just sounded so much more natural especially in the mids and the human voice.

Cheers

Steve.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I would recommend this-

http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/Ming-Da-MC368-B902.html

MC368B902.jpg

Brilliant value, sounded really good round a mates system. Its a little over your budget be the dealer does do home demo's. Top bloke to deal with.

FWIW, valve amps can sound a lot better than SS amps. The main problem is that a cheap valve amp will sound rubbish, where as a cheap SS amp will be OK. With Valve amps you are paying for the transformer quality, wimp out on that and you will get that 'soft and wooly' presentation that people talk of.
thanks for this - I was looking at the Ming da valve amps and spotted the Ming da KT88 (I think that the model) the one with the blue valves - any good? top end at £995 but willing to spend that as I want a good one as this will replace what I've got. the above you have mentiones is only 18w per channel is that not too low?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
what about the Ming da amplifiers? also the above mentioned Ming da amp is only rated at 18w per channel - is that not too low? I could stretch as I'm looking for a quality valve piece!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts