valve amplification

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
floyd droid said:
gbhsi1 said:
the mistral looks interesting :) is it mainly for smaller rooms, smaller speakers etc?

Serious piece of kit is that gb, hey you can even plumb your ipod into it :p. Tongue firmly wedged in cheek.

280 quids worth of serious kit ;)
my speakers seem to be an issue as they are power hungry due to their low sensitivity. Still have my eye on the Ming da MC7 as a pre amp or the Ariand Intergrated. Just seen my new flat and the work is now completed but started to scratch my head thinking were the hell will the hi fi go- I will find a way, even if the girlfriend has to sit on the wooden floor. Oh and I dont even know what my speakers will sound like in an interily new space. Hope they don't sound sh*t....

I also suggest you to not discard an amp/speaker combination due to a "lack of power reason" based on paper only.

When I first tried the Jadis I own now (35W valve amp) with Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento (88db sensitivity speakers) most of the people told me the amp would not drive them properly. Then I tried myself the combination and magic happened... :cheers:

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
gbhsi1 said:
floyd droid said:
gbhsi1 said:
the mistral looks interesting :) is it mainly for smaller rooms, smaller speakers etc?

Serious piece of kit is that gb, hey you can even plumb your ipod into it :p. Tongue firmly wedged in cheek.

280 quids worth of serious kit ;)
my speakers seem to be an issue as they are power hungry due to their low sensitivity. Still have my eye on the Ming da MC7 as a pre amp or the Ariand Intergrated. Just seen my new flat and the work is now completed but started to scratch my head thinking were the hell will the hi fi go- I will find a way, even if the girlfriend has to sit on the wooden floor. Oh and I dont even know what my speakers will sound like in an interily new space. Hope they don't sound sh*t....

I also suggest you to not discard an amp/speaker combination due to a "lack of power reason" based on paper only.

When I first tried the Jadis I own now (35W valve amp) with Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento (88db sensitivity speakers) most of the people told me the amp would not drive them properly. Then I tried myself the combination and magic happened... :cheers:
I was trawling through fleabay and noticed a puresound a30 Intergrated (25-30 watts) if I remember correctly for around £963. I sent an e-mail to the seller asking if it would be ok for my speakers - no was the answer and suggested I needed something like the pathos logos to drive them effectively - wait a minute that's £3500???? how does that work....????

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

I'm delighted that my reservations have been proved wrong (in your case)......though a very robust tranformer helps.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
well folks my valve searching gets more interesting by the week, the Pathos logos that the fella has is for sale at £1850....and wow it looks the bees knees - also excepts parts exchange! ...hmmm lets see where can I get some more funds :) or am I just day dreaming and stretching too far!! damn it it's never easy :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
well folks my valve searching gets more interesting by the week, the Pathos logos that the fella has is for sale at £1850....and wow it looks the bees knees - also excepts parts exchange! ...hmmm lets see where can I get some more funds :) or am I just day dreaming and stretching too far!! damn it it's never easy :)

Now you're talking.....great amp.

Remember, there's no pockets in a shroud. >)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:

Isn't it easy to sprial upwards in price? ... ;)

The Logos is very good by all accounts ... you do know it's a hybrid right?

I went for an ex-dem Unison Research valve amp in the end which cost me less than 50% of the new price with full warranty and new valves.

I'm sure with a bit of patience you will find something soon .. how long can you wait though? ;)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Gb me old mucka. :wall: Im sounding like a stuck bloody record here. Hold fire , get settled in your new flat, get your hifi sorted out so you are happy with the sound the rooms chucking at you. Then demo demo demo. A clear mind saves rash decisions (hopefully).

All meant with the best intentions mate. Ok im out of this thread until you have moved home. :)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
ha ha! you are right Floyd - he has made it even more attractive by offering £750 for my roksan power and Intergrated - so ending up with a £1100 outlay! but yes, I agree I must use my head :) ill wait till I move.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
ha ha! you are right Floyd - he has made it even more attractive by offering £750 for my roksan power and Intergrated - so ending up with a £1100 outlay! but yes, I agree I must use my head :) ill wait till I move.

FD is the voice of reason, but........... :shifty:

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gbhsi1 said:

FD is the voice of reason, but........... :shifty:
ha ha!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I'm delighted that my reservations have been proved wrong (in your case)......though a very robust tranformer helps.

Or maybe I just did not realise yet the full potential of these beautiful speakers... :dance:

It will happen soon anyway as I am going to demo the DA88S maybe this weekend! 8)

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I think this post belongs in this subject too!

After i started using a valve-amp (from 2005 on, or so) i like to listen to "well recorded" music because that is much more rewarded then, but also found out that less well recorded music sounded better also. Only really flat, noisy, music sounds even less dynamic, but i can hear more details then before. I listen less to loud music then before because the valve-amp "shows me more "colours" in the music without need for playing loud, but also because i'm getting older and i am fading away just a bit from loud music.

So, i really enjoy my valve-amp, yes!

There are affordable secondhand valve-amps!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
tino said:
gbhsi1 said:
hmmm, Tino you have thrown one into the mix - but can only find them brand at £1250...where have you seen it for £700?

I saw it on that auction site a couple of weeks ago, but it is no longer there.

Update ... it's back on ... take a look
hmmmm, very interesting at a interesting price too :) thanks Tino!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
I was trawling through fleabay and noticed a puresound a30 Intergrated (25-30 watts) if I remember correctly for around £963. I sent an e-mail to the seller asking if it would be ok for my speakers - no was the answer and suggested I needed something like the pathos logos to drive them effectively - wait a minute that's £3500???? how does that work....????

hey! don't get too excited about ability of quality amps to drive speakers. I've got a Pathos Classic One mkIII which is rated at "only" 70Wpc into 8 Ohms. It used to drive Dynaudio Focus 110 and now it's Magnepan MG 12QR, so in both cases quite inefficient 4 Ohm speakers. and yet I can play as loud as I want to. if anything it's the speakers which start to break sooner (begin to compress) not the amp. I never heard any clipping yet from this amp. so basically, what I'm trying to tell you is nothing you wouldn't already know, it's the quality of the watts that counts, not quantity. which in more techy words means that some 40Wpc push - pull tube amp with a beefy power supply will easily outperform in terms of dynamic expression more powerful SS designs where manufacturers decided to skimp on high quality power supply due to pushing above set cost constraints (power supply will easily be the first part where cuts happen, if they do).

having said that, if you went for a Pathos, any Pathos, you can't go wrong. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts