valve amplification

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
gbhsi1 said:
thanks Floyd! anywhere else besides fleabay?

If you mean regarding the Ariand,dunno tbh. But ive given this a bit of thought. Dont go the fleabay route, if you read the whole listing you aint getting the trial period. If you want to try and/or buy, frozen banana is the only way methinks.

Anyways as i said a few posts ago, dont dive in, try a few out. A good dealer (i.e Hoops sugestion) will not have any problem with sending you out a dem amp.
yeah try before I buy sound like a very reasonable to go about it! if you don't mind me asking what valve amp have you got?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
what about the Ming da amplifiers? also the above mentioned Ming da amp is only rated at 18w per channel - is that not too low? I could stretch as I'm looking for a quality valve piece!

Lol, 18w is mahoosive gb with the right speakers ;).

In answer to your 'what do i use 'question. Bloody expensive ones :p.

I run a 300B single ender which with a tail wind is about 10w. Stonkingly gorgeous amp. Also i run a pair of 845 monoblocks . I said in a thread elsewhere, what mood im in decides which amp/amps get gas run through em.

If you are on about stretching your budget , what have you got in mind ?. Sorry to be so forward but it helps a little :) .

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
gbhsi1 said:
what about the Ming da amplifiers? also the above mentioned Ming da amp is only rated at 18w per channel - is that not too low? I could stretch as I'm looking for a quality valve piece!

Lol, 18w is mahoosive gb with the right speakers ;).

In answer to your 'what do i use 'question. Bloody expensive ones :p.

I run a 300B single ender which with a tail wind is about 10w. Stonkingly gorgeous amp. Also i run a pair of 845 monoblocks . I said in a thread elsewhere, what mood im in decides which amp/amps get gas run through em.

If you are on about stretching your budget , what have you got in mind ?. Sorry to be so forward but it helps a little :) .

Sorry to bother, maybe you said that already...but you own the Mastersound 845 monoblocks? Can I ask you how much they retail more or less right now? Thanks a lot

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
wow that's expensive...well for me that is! nice kit though. My current speakers are neat motive 2's so will the 18w Ming da be ideal and fill a large....ish room when I move?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I honestly wouldnt like to say gb *. We all have a personal limit in 'thats loud enough for me'. But generaly most peeps (probably without even knowing as much) are only listening to a few watts anyway. Why not ring BD Audio and have a word with Jack, tell him you fancy moving over to the dark side etc and i feel pretty sure he will sort you out with a dem unit to try at home.

* Theres more to it than watts and speaker sensitivity .So dont baulk at 18w get a dem :).

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
FWIW ... I have a 16W valve amp with 89dB speakers and it feels subjectively louder than the modest power rating would suggest ... I run it at quarter volume or less and it is more than enough most of the time. Cranking it up to 50% is very loud.

(By the way ... you seem to be heading down the all valve route, you probably owe it to yourself to compare your intended purchase to something like a used Unison Research Primo for around £700 which is a combination of valve pre-amp stage and semiconductor power amp stage. That might work better for you?)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:

(By the way ... you seem to be heading down the all valve route, you probably owe it to yourself to compare your intended purchase to something like a used Unison Research Primo for around £700 which is a combination of valve pre-amp stage and semiconductor power amp stage. That might work better for you?)

Valve forever Tino! :cheers:

I was skeptical when I took this path...I don't regret a single moment now...I am already thinking to my next final upgrade which will be another valve for sure! :)

But not for now... :doh:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
I was skeptical when I took this path...I don't regret a single moment now...I am already thinking to my next final upgrade which will be another valve for sure! :)

... you're thinking about another upgrade already :O ... I think you need help to cure your addiction :p :grin:

I don't reget my valve purchase either but it's not for listening every day ... I always have a choice of amp ... the digital power DAC or the valve amp (and to be honest one or two others which I switch round from time to time). The valve amp subjectively sounds the best to me ... very sweet midrange and a full sound at the lower volumes I prefer to listen to. I think if I had to cut down the components I have and rely on one amplifier for everyday and special moments I would probably start by auditioning for a hybrid amp. But that's another discussion for another day.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
acalex said:

... you're thinking about another upgrade already :O ... I think you need help to cure your addiction :p :grin:

I don't reget my valve purchase either but it's not for listening every day ... I always have a choice of amp ... the digital power DAC or the valve amp (and to be honest one or two others which I switch round from time to time). The valve amp subjectively sounds the best to me ... very sweet midrange and a full sound at the lower volumes I prefer to listen to. I think if I had to cut down the components I have and rely on one amplifier for everyday and special moments I would probably start by auditioning for a hybrid amp. But that's another discussion for another day.

This is the beauty of my situation...I am not thinking at all about upgrading now...but I am trying to find the way slowly to my music nirvana! :cheer:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
shafesk said:
I live in Bangladesh but travel to London and Cardiff often. Thats great you have a dealer friend....I'm quite pleased that he matched the Cayins with mega expensive speakers such as the Viennas, probably means I can keep this baby for a while. Can you tell me what the speakers were, ooh it would be great if you can get him to recommend me some speakers....hehe ain't I greedy?

3 days later...............

Hi Shafie, ah i see you are just down the road from me,maybe i will pop in for a cup of tea ;).

The Viennas were, Beethoven Baby Grand and The Hayden Grand. :)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
FWIW ... I have a 16W valve amp with 89dB speakers and it feels subjectively louder than the modest power rating would suggest ... I run it at quarter volume or less and it is more than enough most of the time. Cranking it up to 50% is very loud.

hmmm, Tino you have thrown one into the mix - but can only find them brand at £1250...where have you seen it for £700?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey gb. Hybrids are for girls who (just teasing Tino,just teasing).

If a hybrid integrated goes t*ts up the unfortunate person who gets the job of repairing it will have a whale of a time testing to find out whats blown where.

Point to point wired valve amps ,with loads of iron in the transformer * are a doddle to fix ,in the right hands.

I will get you over to the dark side if it kills me ,lol.

*mofsets,pah shouldnt be allowed :twisted:

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:

If a hybrid integrated goes t*ts up the unfortunate person who gets the job of repairing it will have a whale of a time testing to find out whats blown where.

Point to point wired valve amps ,with loads of iron in the transformer * are a doddle to fix ,in the right hands.

*mofsets,pah shouldnt be allowed :twisted: ha ha - you don't have to convince me...I have always wanted a valve amplifier and now is the time to do it as funds are available...of course what I don't want is to buy a £1000 or less (less is better) valve amplifier and be disappointed by the flabby bass...which I am sure it will not be! its new territory for me but I am keen to discover what I am missing. I have e-mailed bd audio and asked kindly if I could have a home demo. Also frozen banana has advised me that they will keep me informed when the ariand amplifier is available :) the hybrid looks interesting but at £1,250 is a bit steep for me as I am paying cash not on credit

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:

*mofsets,pah shouldnt be allowed :twisted:
Here is a bargain - bd audio is selling the Ming Da MC-7R pre-amplifier at £349 (thats a great price as 1 new will cost £849), could I then get a valve power amplifier? how about connecting a SS power amp...what would that do? (or am I mixing gear when it shouldnt be mixed??)

A

Anonymous

Interesting discussion...i have had quite a few valve/ss/hybrid amps (Graaf GM50, pathos Classic, Leema Tucana, Marantz PM11, Audion Silver Night, Audio Note etc, etc) And I have found some can be great, some can be average and some rubbish. It depends on the actual amp design, for instance some tubes can sound great in amp and exactly the same (correctly spec'd and matched) will sound awful in another.....I still use valves and SS and like them both just as much.

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
campbell1968 said:
Interesting discussion...i have had quite a few valve/ss/hybrid amps (Graaf GM50, pathos Classic, Leema Tucana, Marantz PM11, Audion Silver Night, Audio Note etc, etc) And I have found some can be great, some can be average and some rubbish. It depends on the actual amp design, for instance some tubes can sound great in amp and exactly the same (correctly spec'd and matched) will sound awful in another.....I still use valves and SS and like them both just as much.

Cheers

Given your considerable experience, it would be great to get your input and insight on a regular basis.

Cno

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
Here is a bargain - bd audio is selling the Ming Da MC-7R pre-amplifier at £349 (thats a great price as 1 new will cost £849), could I then get a valve power amplifier? how about connecting a SS power amp...what would that do? (or am I mixing gear when it shouldnt be mixed??)

Yeah i know BD have that pre for sale. Ming Da have a new spanker pre amp being tweaked ready for the market (so i believe).

A few peeps use a valve pre and ss power ,spose it takes a quids worth of squawking trannies out of the equation and gives your music half a chance of sounding ok ,lol.

This is why demming at home is key gb. You may well prefer a hybrid * !. Hey you may even prefer ss* . Great to read that you have contacted BD etc. Take your time and get it right, for your ears, thats all that counts.

* obviously i would then have to question your state of mind ;)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
tino said:

hmmm, Tino you have thrown one into the mix - but can only find them brand at £1250...where have you seen it for £700?

I saw it on that auction site a couple of weeks ago, but it is no longer there.

Back to your quandry, it sounds as though your are looking at a £500 - £850 "experiment" ... at the top of your price range I have seen a Trilogy VTi 50W integrated valve amp for sale .. used to be £2500 new. Might be a bit risky as an experimental first purchase, but worth considering as well as the new affordable Ariand, Icon Audio etc. amps you have previously been suggested.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
shafesk said:
I live in Bangladesh but travel to London and Cardiff often. Thats great you have a dealer friend....I'm quite pleased that he matched the Cayins with mega expensive speakers such as the Viennas, probably means I can keep this baby for a while. Can you tell me what the speakers were, ooh it would be great if you can get him to recommend me some speakers....hehe ain't I greedy?

3 days later...............

Hi Shafie, ah i see you are just down the road from me,maybe i will pop in for a cup of tea ;).

The Viennas were, Beethoven Baby Grand and The Hayden Grand. :)
Always welcome at the esks, we have great tea in Bangladesh. Thanks, I'll check them out, they look mighty expensive!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
On my list of 'Countries to visit before i croak' Shaffi.
quite the list you've got there my friend. A beautiful place to visit too, we have the largest mangrove forest in the world, Bengal tigers and one of the largest beaches in the world. When you finally do come, let me know I'll give you a shindler's to do list for Bangladesh

TRENDING THREADS