urgent help deciding - MA RX8, KEF R500 or KEF R700; There can be only one winner

HighFidelity7

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I auditioned Monitor Audio RX8s with an Arcam A19. Wasn't sure what to expect. The sound was balanced and the bass was fast and tight. Midrange very good, Top balanced and not too bright (unlike the BX5 I heard).

What is was missing is a wider soundstage, more rumble in the bass and not forward enough

I listen to reggae, dance, pop, rock, acoustic music and eletronic, So all sorts of modern stuff with a touch of melodrama!

my room is 5.3 x 4.1m

I will buy MA RX8s or KEF R500 or R700.

The amplifier will be Roksan Kandy K2 or Roksan Caspian M2. Don;t ask why but these are the options.

I want to ensure I am buying the best possible speaker technically and that the amplifier will resolve enough detail and drive the speakers easily with control on the bass factor. I listen to low to moderate volumes so i am not after absolute power or need the speak to sound good at crazy volumes. What I want is details, rhythm and bass.

Thank you. PLease help as stock is literally running out!!!

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a pair of RS6s coupled to a Kandy 3 amp and that works well so I can't see why the newer gen products won't work well together, though as others will say can you not demo the Roksan products with the speakers??

Tommo

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
I have a pair of RS6s coupled to a Kandy 3 amp and that works well so I can't see why the newer gen products won't work well together, though as others will say can you not demo the Roksan products with the speakers??

Tommo
try the r700s if you can a truly great speaker :)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine the r700 would be the better speaker from the 3 mentioned but then they are the most expensive.

The A19 will not get the best from the rx8 speakers, an a38 would give you the wider soundstage etc.. so really depends on partnering kit.

If you go for either of the kef speakers I would say the caspian m2 would be needed to get your money's worth out of the speakers.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had an long demo with r500 and kandy amp. You will be disappointed......unless you like the blanket overspeaker sound of course. Thankfully i tried other amps otherwise i may have never considered the kef. I was also an owner of kandy and power amp but sold it on after 2 months funnily enough at the request of my 5* hifi wife after she heard naim...

Cant comment on the caspian.

HighFidelity7

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. Most insightful actually.

I have decided that common sense and cost my rule and hence why I am getting the Monitor Audio RX8. I could only stretch to the KEF R500 which on paper sounds amazing but I believe requires a better amp as it is a more demanding speaker: impedance and transients. The RX8 is also slightly louder and does not need to be played at higher volumes.

I have also decided to buy a Roksan Kandy K2 which is at a similar price point as the speakers and still has plenty of power and subtlelty. Rock, reggae, dance and pop music suit the monitor audio and the kandy.

Coming from a Denon CEOL 7 :) and a pair of Tannoy Mercury F2 I think this next setup will be my first serious audio step and put a smile on my face for a few years.

I can still get the R500 and R700 at a very good price indeed but it is just so easy to get carried away. I would still love to know whether 200 pounds extra for a set of R500 is worth it over the MA RX8s but it is all subjective and frankly I will never know!

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
" I would still love to know whether 200 pounds extra for a set of R500 is worth it over the MA RX8s but it is all subjective and frankly I will never know!"

Don't go there, else it will continue ike this "I wonder if had had spent an extra £500 on the Caspian or another few hunfred on the R700s " etc etc then you will end up spending LOADS !!

Better to use the £200 to get some new music and enjoy your new setup, just leave a little for a decent bottle of wine to enjoy at the same time (other drinks are available for the same price!!)

Tommo

HighFidelity7

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Tommo,

I thank you

in fact I will use the money to get an Arcam airdac and complete the system as my source is a Mac mini in my living room

I was not man enough to make the decision!

:)

Thanks again gents

O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts