Upgrade from Arcam Alpha CD player

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here!

I'm looking to upgrade my Arcam Alpha CD player (the original one) to either a Meridian CD200 transport (I have a DAC) or Rotel RCD 991, have seen both available second hand.

Could anyone advise me as to whether these are wise choices to move on to? Or have things moved on since these were built.

I'm not rich so definitely looking for something second hand, not bothered about age, just about upgrading the sound quality.

I currently use

Acoustic Research ES-1 Turntable

Arcam Alpha CD

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 2 (but am awaiting delivery of a second hand Arcam Black Box 50)

Rotel RC-870BX Pre-amplifier

Two Rotel 980BX Power amps Bridged Mono

Roksan Ojan 3 Speakers

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Bry

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Cheers, have read about the Alpha 9, seems to have got great reviews. It's been a lot of years since I upgraded anything, have had the original Alpha since around 1990 and it's still going strong. I guessed sound quality of CD players would have increased over the years, do you know how the 9 compares to the original.

jjbomber

BryO said:
Cheers, have read about the Alpha 9, seems to have got great reviews. It's been a lot of years since I upgraded anything, have had the original Alpha since around 1990 and it's still going strong. I guessed sound quality of CD players would have increased over the years, do you know how the 9 compares to the original.

I only had the 9, I never had the original. It had bass to die for; still the best from a CD that I have heard.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Interesting regarding the bass, I listen to a lot of classic rock and didn't feel that I was getting a deep enough sound even from the Ojans.

Do you or anyone know the difference between the Arcam 7,8 and 9s. As the 7s and 8s seem to sell for consdiderably less. Is there a marked difference in comparison to the 9.

Thanks

T

the record spot

If you want to stick with that era but get a better payer, see if you can find the likes of a Marantz CD72 Mk II SE. Top of the line player before the design selling of the 63 series came in. Internal build is fantastic.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I'm not too bothered about the era. I have been out of the loop for years so just looking for something that will expand and upgrade the sound, especialy the bottom end.

From what I have read the Alpha 9 gets great reviews and seems to be a bit of a beast with the bass.

Meridian CD200 transport still has people raving about it's quality.

Regarding Marantz I have no knowledge or experience of these, Arcam 9 vs A relevant Marantz. bearing in mind that Deep Purple, Blackmores Rainbow and Sabbath are my main ports of call for what I listen to.

Anyone know the difference between Arcam 8 and 9, as I will be using an external DAC most likely.

Cheers Bry

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BryO said:
have had the original Alpha since around 1990 and it's still going strong. I guessed sound quality of CD players would have increased over the years

They might have, but if you only intend to buy one and plug it into the same external DAC, it's going to sound the same.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, are you suggesting that not using the external DAC and using the CD players own DAC and output will show a difference in quality?

Are internal DACs better nowadays than in the late 80s/90s?

Thanks

jjbomber

BryO said:
Regarding Marantz I have no knowledge or experience of these, Arcam 9 vs A relevant Marantz. bearing in mind that Deep Purple, Blackmores Rainbow and Sabbath are my main ports of call for what I listen to.

Well the Arcam 9 was the only CD player on which I could hear Roger Glover's bass during 'Made In Japan'. Incidently, the bass was at it's best when the Arcam was on the floor, rather than on a rack. No idea why, it just was.

Regarding your taste in music, you need to get a bootleg copy of the Rainbow concerts in japan in 1976 and 1978. Brilliant.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Would like to hear them, are they good quality desk recordings? Rainbow On Stage is a tour de force!

Also just seen an Arcam Alpha 7 for sale for £50, anyone know how good they are, or would I be buying something similar to the Original Alpha?

Cheers!

Add on:

Just read a review of 7,8,9 and it sounds like the 7 is out of the running.

8 and 9 sound tempting!

jjbomber

BryO said:
Would like to hear them, are they good quality desk recordings? Rainbow On Stage is a tour de force!

Try http://perfect-purple.com/forum-rainbow.html

Quite a few of them are soundboards. The audience ones from 'Mr Peach' are very good. Some of Rainbow On Stage is from Japan, though most is Germany.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts