Typical......

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Anticipation built up in me yesterday, and i should not have let it. I was getting my new tv fitted and couldn't wait to watch a Blu - Ray or a classic Dvd. The guy fitting it came a little late but never mind, we carefully took the boxed tv upstairs and he put the first part of the wall mount up first, then my shelving for my Blu - Ray and Dvd player.........What to watch when it's fitted i thought, The Assassination of Jesse James or Heat? Tough decision, decide later (Ha!). So there's me literally headbutting the ceiling with what seems to be excitement while he slides the tv onto the wall mount and we're finally pleased to get it up there, i stick the QED HDMI-P cable in the back of the tv as well as in the rear of the Panny BD - 55. I start to do a little tidying up what with all the dust from the drilling and sort the cardboard boxes and what not when the tv fella say's "what's that", "what's what" i said, "these three cracks in behind the tv screen", "for the Love of God i thought, it's typical for me is this, my middle name should be fate". There's three massive cracks actually behind the screen (i'm guessing where the plasma is) one near enough straight down, two diagonal. Many, many weeks of looking for a tv not to mention deciding which one to get, Jesus himself can only tell me how many weeks i've been planning my little HD Home (bedroom, ha!) and for another event in my life fate has struck me once more. I've lost all anticipation, thank God, and i'm just filled with doubt and never-ending paranoia, i even think i'm jinxed and will never see the true picture of my replacement. (i hope i get one) Life, it's so dramatic

Thanks, it's been emotional. Rorschach.

PS. I bought my set off Amazon.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
You've got a plasma so you should know where!. Not actually on the first part of the screen, look diagonally into your tv with it switched off and behind the first part of the screen you'll see a second layer with what i'm guessing is the plasma, 3 huge cracks, i'm negatively paranoid, scared and apprehensive about the replacement set (if i get one), whether it'll go up well, stay up, give out the true picture etc and God knows what else.

Oh Lord, please help my little HD home go to plan.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah understood, just when you said behind the screen, wasn't sure. However, I don't think you need to be that paranoid - your replacement (why wouldn't you get one?) should be fine.

ÿ

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Well, given my luck the past few weeks, months and how some things have turned out i wouldn't be surprised if they turned round and said........"No" I'll wait till tomorrow for their email and see what the world brings. I'm gonna be praying like a nun for the next few days just for hope that everything turns out okay, even God can't promise anything in this day and age. I'm rambling on.......Ha. When/if i get it set up how is it best to calibrate/adjust the settings? Just scan through the menus and see what works best? I've got Revenge Of The Sith Dvd (does this have the THX optimizer? Also, do you know when to update your Blu - Ray player via LAN cable, Do you get an email or something?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes pretty sure Revenge of the Sith has the THX optimiser on it - it'll be in Languages or somesuch and, as I remember from the Star Wars DVDs, it's accessible via a THX logo in the corner of the screen that you can select.

As for updating, with my Sony BDP-S550 (and the PS3 as well), as long as it's all connected up to your LAN permanently and you have updates switched on, it should let you know there is a new update available when you switch the player on. No email or anything so if you don't have it permanently connected up, I guess you just have to keep an eye out on the website.

ÿ

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Yes pretty sure Revenge of the Sith has the THX optimiser on it - it'll be in Languages or somesuch and, as I remember from the Star Wars DVDs, it's accessible via a THX logo in the corner of the screen that you can select.

As for updating, with my Sony BDP-S550 (and the PS3 as well), as long as it's all connected up to your LAN permanently and you have updates switched on, it should let you know there is a new update available when you switch the player on. No email or anything so if you don't have it permanently connected up, I guess you just have to keep an eye out on the website.

LAN permanently? Ok, that worries me a little, i'll just have to rearrange my laptop so it'll be near my shelved Panny BD - 55, and keep the LAN lead plugged in all the time. Do you know if it's possible for Panasonic to send me a disc when the updates are available/required? Thanks for this, prof.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Can't speak for Panasonic as such, but I think you would normally have to request any such update. I'm not aware of them doing any kind of mail out, but then I don't actually have a Panasonic player!

And don't feel you have to have it plugged in permanently.ÿRemember, in reality, you only really need a firmware upgrade if you're having a problem. As long asÿeverythingÿis working, I wouldn't worry too much about being bang up to date and just keep an eye out every now and then. Of course if you do get an issue, then the first thing to do is see if there is a patch available.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

just out of interest which screen did you choose? feel for you matey but you'll get there.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Panasonic 46PZ80B. Couldn't wait to watch a film and then that happened, never mind, i'll hope this next set is a lot better. I'm totally in three minds what to do now, get a brand new replacement set off them, get a full refund or wait for the 2009 Panasonic sets!Decisions, decisions, i'm more miffed now because the tv fella has fitted the shelf slightly wonky (only slightly), will my Blu - Ray player still work fine when it's up there? Also does anyone know where to make their Blu - Ray player multi region for a decent price in the north west?

Thanks, Rorschach.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Playability of AVCHD format (motion picture) recorded on an SD card.

What does this mean? I've got an SD card for my Blu - Ray player, don't fully understand what you mean, thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rorschach:
Panasonic 46PZ80B. Couldn't wait to watch a film and then that happened, never mind, i'll hope this next set is a lot better. I'm totally in three minds what to do now, get a brand new replacement set off them, get a full refund or wait for the 2009 Panasonic sets!Decisions, decisions, i'm more miffed now because the tv fella has fitted the shelf slightly wonky (only slightly), will my Blu - Ray player still work fine when it's up there? Also does anyone know where to make their Blu - Ray player multi region for a decent price in the north west?

Thanks, Rorschach.
If you have/buy a harmony remote, then you can get a profile you can apply which will then unlock it. So should be free (bar the price of the remote. You have to register though.

Otherwise you might be able to find the codes online, but i've not had any success in the last 5 mins.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I bought 20 metres of network cable for when I need to update my PS3. It does have wireless but the video sender my brother use's plays havoc with the wireless connection. So when it needs updating I just plug in the network cable into the PS3 (upstairs), throw the cable downstairs and plug it straight into the back of the router. Nice and easy and takes 2 seconds to unplug again.

If your player is new I would look for any new updates and then forget about it. If you have any issues further down the line just plug it in again and see if theres any new updates.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
True, i was thinking of doing this. I've got a LAN cable, can i plug one end in my Blu - Ray and one in my laptop?

Thanks, Rorschach.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
How come, are you sure? I asked the fella at curry's and he said i should stick it in the back of the Blu - Ray, does it work better in the back of the router?

Thanks, Rorschach.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
slewis:RJ45 cable one end into blu-ray player the other end into router.

Do you have any idea why it won't work in the back of my laptop? Not the correct way to do it?

Thanks, Rorschach.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Basically, what you're trying to do is connect the Blu-Ray player to the internet, the same way you connect your laptop to the internet. When you want to connect a laptop to the internet, you can either set up a wireless network card to connect wirelessly to your router (if you have a wireless network in your house) or you can physically connect it to the router using an ethernet cable. Same principle applies here therefore - since your Blu-Ray player has no wireless ability, you have to connect the Blu-Ray player to your router with the ethernet cable and it will then be able to connect to the internet to get the update.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Presume it means they give improved "playability" of anything recorded in AVCHD format (HI-DEF Camcorder) on a SD card, If you don't have a AVCHD camcorder no need to bother. The easiest way to upgrade if you don't have a long network lead is burn to disk as i mentioned earlier. Of course if you want to access BD-Live facilities you need to connect player to web anyway. One way which I will do eventually is add a Ethernet bridge to allow wireless connectivity . (Player connected to Bridge, communicating via wirelless to router/access point.)

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I have a SD card which is AVCHD compatible (came free with the Panny BD - 55) sorry about the misunderstanding of your post kena, i am browsing for a decent digital camera whether i'll be drawn to camcorders, who knows. Would this LAN cable i have be sufficient, it's from curries it's a belkin hi-speed internet modem cable 2.1m RJ11 male/RJ11 male, modem to telephone wall jack. I'm 95% sure it'll do the job but i might return it as i can 40 metres worth of networking cable off Amazon for what i paid for this! Ha. So thanks to kena, professorhat, spiceweasel and fasteddie for all your help and support, i'll need help again this week so this isn't the end. Professorhat, have you or anyone else on here ever brought from movietyme.com? I noticed you mentioned them in another post and was wondering if you had, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts